Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Sticker Auto dilemma...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone, I've been considering picking up an additional MJ auto and possible submitting my collection for the up coming Super Collector book... I can't compete with many MJ collections, just curious if I would be considered. Anyway, I'm at 14 now, I would like to get one more, but his autos are selling so high. There is a MJ auto, BGS 9 #d to 14, but on sticker. I've gotten rid of all my sticker autos, I've been focused on the best graded on card autos I can afford. Should I sacrifice if I can get it at a good price?
Personally, I have to say no. Like you said, you've been getting rid of them because of what you want to collect. How many sticker Au did you get rid of if you don't mind my asking?
So you have 14?............ And youre asking us what to do......After 14 I would think you already know what to do. lol. I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!!!
I can't even say, lol. My goal was to get to 23 autos.. at some point I was as close as 20, but I decided to only get on card autos... then I decided only Bulls autos... my autos are always changing because if I see a auto that I like, I would sell one of mine and use it towards better ones. So I can say I've owned around 30 different MJ autos at some point.
The problem is that they sell so high now, to get a decent MJ auto you have to spend at least $500 they way they are selling now. It's just getting harder for me to get the cards that I want, or the ones that I've thought about adding to my collection.
I'd say it's graded high enough to be worth an exception to your no sticker auto rule. Provided you can get it at a good price of course!
Stop concentrating on the sticker issue. Sell and trade the ones that you have and can part with for the ones that you love and would never part with. I usually just decide if I like the card design and if it grades and presents well in a slab, that just adds to the desire. GO WITH YOUR GUT, if it is a good price just maybe you can flip it in a trade and get another MJ auto you like more.

I myself am only up to two MJ autos and I am always looking to get the next one. Good luck whatever you decide.
My gut tells me I can't afford MJ anymore! I think I need to take a break from collecting him, see where his cards go... seems they are just going higher and higher. Maybe I'll just hold on to what I have and maybe down the road pick up a auto here and there.
(07-08-2011, 02:08 PM)htowntigger Wrote: [ -> ]My gut tells me I can't afford MJ anymore! I think I need to take a break from collecting him, see where his cards go... seems they are just going higher and higher. Maybe I'll just hold on to what I have and maybe down the road pick up a auto here and there.
Haha that is what I am thinking about my collection. Cards that used to sell for 40-50 are now selling 2-3x more than that! Getting crazy!
Man, I was trying to get a MJ auto I missed out a few years back, $450 at the time... Finally saw it again and it sold for over $1000! Gonna focus on my Olajuwon Collection and hopefully the MJs go down at some point. I mean, there are things I can pick up here and there, but significant additions are outrageous now.
if you can get it for a good price i say go for it, its graded and if the card is a nice design, go for it, and you can always sell it and probably not lose money.