Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Suggestions? What would you buy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well i just sold my textbooks got $450 going straight to some boxes, question is what do i buy?

Theres a card show coming up on the 10th that me and a buddy will be attending, and i saw that panini just dopped Limited too, is it worth a look?

I only really want to buy boxes here, I buy 90% of the singles for PC via the bay, the other 10% trading.

Soooo what boxes do you guys suggest, building my Patrick Ewing/Knicks PC always comes first, value comes second, but then again buying a box to try to get a certain card is chasing a dream, might as well play the lotto.

What's the "best" boxes out there today? What will be the bust bang for my buck?

Like I said I am going to spend EXACTLY 450, give or take 20 bucks, can someone please help me out with suggestions on what I should spend where and possibly give me break down =) it will not go unappreciated! Thanks!
I've only bought three boxes of basketball in my life and it was 2009/10 panini threads. And I pulled a Griffin jersey rc auto. Awesome. But anyways I've seen some basketball box breaks and if I was to choose I would get 2010/11 limited. You get a nice variety of cards. Otherwise, 2010/11 classics is nice for veterans too. If you like rookies go for 10/11 contenders. Hope this helps.
limited is pretty solid, ofcourse there are dud boxes out there, but ive busted 3 this year, i havent hit anything crazy, but the first box had a lebron gu's and a redemption for an ebanks rc patch auto /25, the second box had a kobe gu's in it and a tyreke evans auto, and the third had a silver spotlight lebron base and a brandon roy patch auto 7/25 (his jersey number). i dont think you will be disappointed with limited, but with 450, i would get a box of each product.
Just take the money and buy something like an MJ RC or auto or something you know will atleast be equal value to what your spending. IMO, $450 is a lot to gamble on any product from this year. Or any year for that matter.....
Definitely spend most of it on singles. Most dealers would kill to get someone to spend $450 on basketball cards. I'd break it down like this...

$200 for higher end jersey/autos- Most dealers will let their basketball autos go for a fraction of what they book at. Aside from Jordan, Bird, Russell, and a few others, you could get alot of that stuff for <$20.

$150 for $1/$2/$5 stuff- These are usually where the gems are at. Most dealers have no idea what they're doing and will put just about anything in these dollar boxes. I've pulled several oddball Ewing refractors and serial numbered stuff from these boxes and I don't even collect Ewing.

$100 for boxes/packs- Do this last. Packs are fun to open, but they're like buying lottery tickets.
(07-04-2011, 01:25 PM)TM Sportscards Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely spend most of it on singles. Most dealers would kill to get someone to spend $450 on basketball cards. I'd break it down like this...

$200 for higher end jersey/autos- Most dealers will let their basketball autos go for a fraction of what they book at. Aside from Jordan, Bird, Russell, and a few others, you could get alot of that stuff for <$20.

$150 for $1/$2/$5 stuff- These are usually where the gems are at. Most dealers have no idea what they're doing and will put just about anything in these dollar boxes. I've pulled several oddball Ewing refractors and serial numbered stuff from these boxes and I don't even collect Ewing.

$100 for boxes/packs- Do this last. Packs are fun to open, but they're like buying lottery tickets.

Thanks, for the much needed advice, what do you think about the totally certified box that came out last week? I really want at least one box of that though those video cards intrigue me, but then again there are only 4 1/1s, so once again it'll be like chasing a dream. The reason why I love to by my boxes from the cards shows is because they usually have the case right there in front of you and let you pick your box. I refuse to buy boxes on the internet because God only knows what they really do it or maybe theres some way to look inside or take the case hit out and sell the other boxes, etc. I am usually hesistant to buy from the hobby shops now because not only do i fear the same thing but their prices are usually $20-60 more per box than I would pay at the shows/internet.

That being said I also am hesistant to buy some nice MJ's, Birds, etc. Because although this may sound crazy to 99% of you guys reading this I really don't care about those cards, if I come across anything good I usually just sell it or use it as trade bait. Like I said I just love Ewing, I love the knicks, and I love anyone who went to st. johns, those cards just satisfy me more than any others. I may seem stupid to you but its the truth.

Also, I feel like a crackhead sometimes when it comes to opening packs. Don't ask me why but I just love that 3 second suspense, "what am i gonna get?" you know what i mean? I get a satisfaction from opening packs that I cannot describe, so although it may be smarter, and it may be a better investment to buy some high-end MJ's and stuff at the show it just doesn't float my boat!

I am considering taking your advice however only because if the show DOES NOT have the Knicks/Ewings I so very much long for I will buy some of their better stuff just so I can trade it for what I DO want.

Once again, all suggestions are greatly appreciated, the show is on Saturday, I value all your feedback and opinions because it does and will play a major role in my decisions in this, my favorite hobby!