Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Your personal CollectionS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Am I the only one who can't focus around here... When told about how to collect your supposed to pick something that makes you satisfied about the hobby. I find im never satisfied. I can't narrow my hobby to collecting one set player or team. Just when I feel like I have picked someone or maybe even a few players I find myself trying pulling towards someone else. Obsession.. have you ever heard of someone going to therapy for sports? lol
Lol I get what your saying...mine is a little different though. I've had several players ive collected in my hobby life. I feel im always changing which player I want to mainly focus on though. One day its kobe then its kemp then henderson. Drives you nuts.
My list of players and sets that I have attemted to collect is huge. I then turn around and trade this stuff or sell it when I get the right offer.

I think I am always in pursuit of cards that just make my collection better, reguardless I usually end up chasing what I like.
I collect Bill Simmons' top 100 players ever.

It's ideal, because it allows me to have a broad range of players (all of whom are/were obviously superstars), but I only want/need one or two cards of each player, so I'm constantly upgrading my PC, but never having to worry about collecting players outside of the top 100, i.e. my collection is nice and focussed.
I've informed my wife many times that collecting is like gambling. Smile We throw money out there and hope we hit a jackpot, whether it be to sell or for our PC. However, I used to want to collect one of every card. That was when I was naive and didn't know they started making 1/1s, /5, /10, etc. So then I narrowed it down to only the sets I collect (that at times changes) and Pistons. Now, with my Pistons, I can never decide what the best course of action is. Stop busting packs and just start buying singles, or continue to bust and keep trading. In the long run, I think it always ends up being the same amount of money for me. Break a blaster (since I don't have the patience to save up enough for a hobby box), get my money back three fold in BV, trade it for what would have cost me $20 including shipping. However, at least busting allows me to possibly get a $20+ card that I might be able to trade around for a $20+ card. Sorry for getting off topic, but I do agree that there should be therapy for us collectors. Smile
(06-30-2011, 08:25 AM)crimedawg47 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol I get what your saying...mine is a little different though. I've had several players ive collected in my hobby life. I feel im always changing which player I want to mainly focus on though. One day its kobe then its kemp then henderson. Drives you nuts.
Im a part time therapist. I can help you my friend. All you have to do is give me all your Hendersons and all your troubles will go away! That session is free but the next one Ill have to bill you for. Ill pm you my address so we can get you off the crazy train. No no no don't thank me. Im just trying to help.
I went to school for Psychology and ending up quitting with a semester away from my masters and I still can't figure out my problem when it comes to cards I need my fix everyday
That's decent advice actually, but I would say set your computer to block all sites that contain trading cards. Start a fight at all your LCSs. If they ban you from the store you can't buy more cards. This will save you from wasting your money on cardboard or whatever they are made out of these days (trading cards). I personally have the money to waste on cards because I don't spend much money on things for myself often.

(06-30-2011, 03:31 PM)quavis Wrote: [ -> ]Im a part time therapist. I can help you my friend. All you have to do is give me all your Hendersons and all your troubles will go away! That session is free but the next one Ill have to bill you for. Ill pm you my address so we can get you off the crazy train. No no no don't thank me. Im just trying to help.
I've changed my pc habits so much from the last 2 years that I have way too many side pcs, side projects, on top of my main pc being collecting celtics and/or glen davis. I started as a rc collector still am sorta, was a set collector in my early years collecting before stopping for a period, now a team collector with select player pcs. I think it comes down to at least for me I was more dumb back in the old days as a young teen now I'm an adult collector w/some $$$ to collect what I like.
I decided im not a player collector or a team collector.. im not even a sport collector.. Im a card collector.. whichever pack reaches my fingers next lol. basketball, baseball, football.... does not matter, cure the open a pack of cards itch.
Pages: 1 2 3