Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: What changes should card companies make to improve the hobby?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I read somewhere that people from the card companies read the boards on a pretty regular basis and I thought it might be a cool idea to have a thread devoted strictly to things we as customers want to see improved or just a place to share those ideas we've always wanted to see on cardboard.

Hey, even if companies dont read this I'm still interested to see what everyone has to say.

Examples:

I think its been unanimously decided here on beckett that "Event-worn" relics are overproduced and as a result almost worthless. Companies should either cut back on the ridiculous numbers of these cards they produce or get rid of them completely.

Panini's redemption process and customer support.

I personally would like to see more coach cards. maybe even a subset devoted to coaches in a product or two (w/ Autos!!!).

and heres a card i mocked up that i posted a while ago. i think would be a pretty sweet set
[Image: dickbutkusquotable-1.jpg]
Personally, I hate hit counts....*2 hits per box, 4 hits per box, etc* I miss the old days of the guessing game. It makes it so much more satisfying to nail a nice auto or even patch card that way.

Also, put a little more effort into designs/inserts, prestige has gotten cheaper and cheaper looking every year, 08 was the last good set for them.

Bring back the sweet die-cuts, I loved pulling them back in the 90's.

All around, better inserts...and less freakin parallels (I'm looking at you Topps!)

Wouldn't mind seeing a new set much like the 97 - 99 EX sets, talk about innovative and just all around great looking cards.

*Edit*

Almost forgot, I wouldn't mind seeing another set sort of like the old 80s/early90s that incorporate more players......sets that contain 10 or 12 players from each team rather than just 2 or 3.
Not a big deal, but I'd love to seecard companies do away with letter/word shaped swatches for game-used cards. It just looks ridiculous, a simple round or square swatch looks way better. A great example of hideous swatches is Topps Triple Threads. I 100% agree with the Panini redemption fiasco and any redemptions for that matter. And if you MUST have them in the products, kill the expiration dates. Some folks can't afford the newer boxes and have to buy older stuff and end up getting screwed on the hits.
Probably sounds dumb, but I think it would be cool if they came out with a new high end set that was JUST hall of fame players. Like all the bases, autos, and GU's are strictly HOFers.
Oh, and bring back the Tough pull inserts from the 90's!!!!
The very first thing I thought of before reading your post was to get rid of event worn uniforms. Sure they look nice but they just arent the same as game worn.

Maybe use practice jerseys instead???

I also hate when companies hold low numbered cards to issue as replacements. They should be out in circulation.

Also find a way to prevent pack searching.
(06-27-2011, 12:53 AM)Denbro17 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably sounds dumb, but I think it would be cool if they came out with a new high end set that was JUST hall of fame players. Like all the bases, autos, and GU's are strictly HOFers.
I LOVE that idea! I might buy a case of something like that. Panini did a set like that in 2009-10 for basketball (Panini Hall of Fame) although it had several non HoFers in it too unfortunately.
I agree with Clemson on the Die-Cuts I missed that whole era in collecting and when I see them I am in awe some of them were just so cool looking. Redemptions suck they can go and so can event worn jerseys. They should also send me a few boxes a year free.
Throw away the "event used" garbage. Complet waste. More game used helmet, pants, pads, turf, pilons, uprights ect.

More oncard autos.

More vetran based sets with vetran autos. Less rookie autos

Redemtions for full game used memorbilia.

Redemtions with personalized auto. To Mikey: Best Wishes. Signed: Peyton Manning.

More inscription based autos. Topps Five Star nailed it with there "Personal Hero" or "Favorite Movie." Run with that idea.
I always liked the x wrappers for a special insert or extension of a set. The You Crash the Game cards were pretty nifty. Maybe do something where the player who has the highest fantasy value (according to NFL.com) gets a special insert set of the top 10-15 fantasy players at a given position. The top scoring player at all positions gets a set of all the top players at each position.
Pages: 1 2 3 4