Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 3 Tips on Improving your Baseball Swing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys I'm new here and have been a minor league player (Chattanooga Lookouts) for only a year. But I thought I would give some tips on improving your baseball swing Smile

1. Your stance is the most important! This is a common mistake that most rookies have so if your body is not perfectly balanced then your swing will be off. So the basics of a stance is that your body should be in a triangular shape and your head has to be on the top of the middle space between your legs. Next you have to move your body so that it is in the same position but with your foot next to the back line of the box. That way you will have more time to look at the pitch.

2. Lined up Knuckles. This is also a really basic tip but it is the most essential as well. Having your knuckles lined up will allow your wrists to roll properly after hitting the baseball.

3. Watch your Swing. When I was young I had coaches watch my swing and tell me what was wrong but I never got to actually see it. Watching your swing will allow you to see what you are doing wrong. You can use a camera but the easiest is with an iPhone. Record your swing and use an app that can adjust the speed like SpeedUpTV and that allows you zoom up, and slow down your videos so you can accurately see any faults that you might have.

Any other tips?

Be comfortable in the box. If you feel right in a crouch then do so. If you're more comfortable in an open stance or need to be based on eye dominance do it. Have the bat where it feels right, whether that's overhead, laid flat, or anywhere else. Set your trigger any way you want and have as much or as little movement in your swing as feels right.

In other words: there's no set way to hit. Do what works for you and you alone.
What about winking at the pitcher?

I remember my coach always telling me not to raise your back elbow, because the first thing you do in your swing is drop it.
Me just take club hit ball.
lol, This is a sports cards site... I get out of breath just busting packs.
I hit better when I close my eyes
(06-24-2011, 11:22 AM)sonnyday Wrote: [ -> ]What about winking at the pitcher?

I remember my coach always telling me not to raise your back elbow, because the first thing you do in your swing is drop it.
Or blow him a kiss!!

I have a suggestion for kids or coaches trying to get kids over the fear of the ball.I had the same problem as a kid.I ultimately got over the fear by playing a game with friends called "fast pitch".We would play in a friends backyard and we would use a tennis ball.We were less afraid of being plunked by a tennis ball therefore allowing us to pitch the ball faster to one another and to concentrate on the bat hitting the ball,not the ball hitting us.This game was great because it only took two people to play.
Always wear a batting helmet when playing this game,we did.

http://coolstarcards.wordpress.com/
(06-29-2011, 07:41 AM)tonyplayball Wrote: [ -> ]I have a suggestion for kids or coaches trying to get kids over the fear of the ball.I had the same problem as a kid.I ultimately got over the fear by playing a game with friends called "fast pitch".We would play in a friends backyard and we would use a tennis ball.We were less afraid of being plunked by a tennis ball therefore allowing us to pitch the ball faster to one another and to concentrate on the bat hitting the ball,not the ball hitting us.This game was great because it only took two people to play.
Always wear a batting helmet when playing this game,we did.

http://coolstarcards.wordpress.com/
I agree with that. I always practiced with a tennis ball when I was younger. I never broke a window, and the ball always seemed to go farther.