Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Can Someone Explain To Me Why Online Pricing Is This Incomplete?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I usually just get the paper version as it makes for good reading and a handy reference. However, with 2011 Topps Rising Rookies out and having traded/pulled some nice autos, I decide to buy the online OPG when the post says pricing is available.

Unfortunately for me, the autos I have (Newton/Gabbert and Ingram/Spiller/Moreno) have a N/A beside them. These are numbered to 25 so there should be real reason to be blank. And while I understand that there have been no sales (I think) of these on the other site, that still should not prevent the experts from placing a value. An Example would be the Newton/Fairley dual - it has a value.

There is plenty of data out there to support a dual Newton/Gabbert so why release pricing with so much N/A? The other site can't be the only source for pricing - and it would be nice if someone would explain it to me why I paid $9 to see N/A everywhere I look.

Just saying...
I think Beckett watches the sale prices and all that to see what prices they put on the cards. I may be mistaken.
Beckett never issues prices for cards #/under 25. Due to scarcity and lack of info it is hard to track sales of these particular short runs.
Generally speaking cards numbered to 25 or less aren't assigned book values as they don't change hands often enough to establish a value/price.

(06-22-2011, 02:15 PM)dkotart Wrote: [ -> ]Beckett never issues prices for cards #/under 25. Due to scarcity and lack of info it is hard to track sales of these particular short runs.
I wouldn't say never. They have started pricing some of the ones #'d under 25. I'll use one example, A Rice card I have had since 95 ( I think it is .. A reflections ) /10 was not priced until recently. But they do price some but not all the ones /25.

And to the OP. Sometimes Beckett doesn't even price some of the more common cards... It takes time for some cards to determine market activity.

And IF Beckett starts SETTING prices that would NOT be what they call .......
A GUIDE...........
I have also seen instances where one month there is a price, then the next month there isn't. I have emailed the magazine/sport involved and some have fixed the issues, and responded to me. While others have just ignored me.
Contrary to popular belief, Beckett DOES NOT use ebay sales only to determine BV's they list in their guide, they use numerous sources and sites from ebay to sportsbuy to COMC, to LCS's, to regular Joes, that send in info from their recent sales buy's, etc....
(06-22-2011, 07:06 PM)shezdoni Wrote: [ -> ]Contrary to popular belief, Beckett DOES NOT use ebay sales only to determine BV's they list in their guide, they use numerous sources and sites from ebay to sportsbuy to COMC, to LCS's, to regular Joes, that send in info from their recent sales buy's, etc....
That may be the case but when none of the above happens, then the pricing should reflect some sort of aggregate value - Newton and Gabbert values are already known individually.

My thought is that the guide can always be adjusted and there is no way that one reported sale can be used as the value (that theory never holds up).
(06-26-2011, 08:27 AM)rifdog22 Wrote: [ -> ]That may be the case but when none of the above happens, then the pricing should reflect some sort of aggregate value - Newton and Gabbert values are already known individually.

My thought is that the guide can always be adjusted and there is no way that one reported sale can be used as the value (that theory never holds up).
If a card doesn't have ANY activity how is Beckett gonna give it a value.
Beckett DOESN'T set a price out of thin air. ( contrary to what some may believe )
(06-27-2011, 08:28 AM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: [ -> ]If a card doesn't have ANY activity how is Beckett gonna give it a value.
Beckett DOESN'T set a price out of thin air. ( contrary to what some may believe )
I would imagine they have every player ranked and set a base price for the set and multiply it by the players rank then adjust it to reflect how the players cards are selling. That is why they have price breakdowns for commons, semi-stars, unlisted stars, and stars. This way they only have to track prices for the most active cards in the set.

Ray
Pages: 1 2