Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 90's Gems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
htoutlaws - you are very lucky to find those 1997 Playoff Zone Golds...very tough! And that Action Packed Mint....ugh! Where's Waldo...I mean, my Brunell!!!!
---
1997 Playoff Absolute Reflex Gold Star Redemption

[Image: br002-Copy.jpg]
(02-25-2011, 10:40 PM)jaderock Wrote: [ -> ]1997 Playoff Absolute Reflex Gold Star Redemption

Oh, I see - it has the star in the lower corner just like those redemptions of the base Absolute set from that year. I previously just assumed that the entire foil front was gold. That clears up that mystery.

Thanks jaderock!

(02-25-2011, 10:40 PM)jaderock Wrote: [ -> ]htoutlaws - you are very lucky to find those 1997 Playoff Zone Golds...very tough! And that Action Packed Mint....ugh! Where's Waldo...I mean, my Brunell!!!!
---

VERY LUCKY! I have never seen them listed except the ones I picked up. Well, plus that Herman Moore I have.
Those Action Packed Mint are tough to come by as well. I have seen three Barry's total. Including the one I own.
I can't win a regular Reflex much less a gold redemption of Barry!
Love those 90's diecut inserts! Anyone have some info on my 1996 Marshall Faulk Crown diecut? Can't seem to find it on the checklists....Card # PC-9....was thinking it's the Platinum Crown for 96 retail, but I see that Faulk is not listed in the regular set from that year?
[Image: a60.jpg]
(02-27-2011, 05:35 PM)hodee5 Wrote: [ -> ]Love those 90's diecut inserts! Anyone have some info on my 1996 Marshall Faulk Crown diecut? Can't seem to find it on the checklists....Card # PC-9....was thinking it's the Platinum Crown for 96 retail, but I see that Faulk is not listed in the regular set from that year?
[Image: a60.jpg]
The Platinum cards were released through the Shop At Home network as I think a 10 card set, compared to the 20 card 1996 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cut set.
The cards had different photos, a platinum foil diecut edge and were numbered PC1-PC10. I can find
PC-1 Curtis Martin (in my collection)
PC-2 Troy Aikman
PC-5 Jeff Blake
PC-6 John Elway
PC-9 Marshall Faulk (you have)

Beckett that I can find has never provided a numbered set of the Shop at Home set, I hope this helps for now.
(02-25-2011, 10:40 PM)jaderock Wrote: [ -> ]htoutlaws - you are very lucky to find those 1997 Playoff Zone Golds...very tough! And that Action Packed Mint....ugh! Where's Waldo...I mean, my Brunell!!!!
---

Peter, how did you find the Mark Brunell 1997 Absolute Reflex Gold Star Redemption, I don't ever remember seeing one for the Jets(6 players) being available on the bay. Does someone have a set they are breaking up. I have the base reflex Jets cards, 5 + Frank Reich in a Jets uniform but a 1997 Detroit Lion.
[Image: 96PacificGoldCrownDieCutsPlatnium3PC4.jpg]

In my old Beckett checklist...

I have that card listed as a 1996 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cuts Platnium #3?
Or is that wrong?
(02-27-2011, 07:20 PM)ginge01 Wrote: [ -> ]The Platinum cards were released through the Shop At Home network as I think a 10 card set, compared to the 20 card 1996 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cut set.
The cards had different photos, a platinum foil diecut edge and were numbered PC1-PC10. I can find
PC-1 Curtis Martin (in my collection)
PC-2 Troy Aikman
PC-5 Jeff Blake
PC-6 John Elway
PC-9 Marshall Faulk (you have)
I think that solves the mystery Scooby Doo! Thanx for the knowledge!

(02-27-2011, 08:28 PM)htoutlaws Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 96PacificGoldCrownDieCutsPlatnium3PC4.jpg]

In my old Beckett checklist...

I have that card listed as a 1996 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cuts Platnium #3?
Or is that wrong?
ginge01 answer to hodee5 is the same reponse you are looking for...now that checklist has increased by one.

Getting a SERIAL #/500 in 1996 was insanely rare! I remember Don West's sales pitch of "that's only enough for 10 cards per state!" (or similar stuff like that).

ginge01 - I know the base Absolute was redeemed for a set, but not sure of the Reflex and Quad Series Gold Redemptions. I picked both up nearly a decade ago!
(02-27-2011, 10:08 PM)jaderock Wrote: [ -> ]ginge01 answer to hodee5 is the same reponse you are looking for...now that checklist has increased by one.

Getting a SERIAL #/500 in 1996 was insanely rare! I remember Don West's sales pitch of "that's only enough for 10 cards per state!" (or similar stuff like that).

ginge01 - I know the base Absolute was redeemed for a set, but not sure of the Reflex and Quad Series Gold Redemptions. I picked both up nearly a decade ago!
Jaderock, thanks for the updates
Weeks ago I started a thread that is very similar to this one: The official "cards from two decades ago (1991-2000)" thread. I was going to use that thread to periodically discuss some random topics dealing with cards from that era, but since this thread is doing so well I deem it pointless to bump the other one. BTW thanks ginge01 and wavytiger1975 for the kind words in reference to my post on the 1998 SPx parallels. If anybody else is confused by all the parallels from that set look that thread up.

Anyway, I previously stated on that other thread that I was going to discuss the 1995 Excalibur Sword and the Stone Redemptions. It is curious that there is no mention of these cards from the 2004 Annual Beckett Price Guide that I own, the most recent one that I have in my possession.

[Image: scan0022-1.jpg]

Shown above are seven of the eight redemption Sword/Stone parallels that were printed that year featuring a player that I collect. I have been putting these together card by card over the years. Recently I bought several individually from an online auction.

The non-die cut cards have silver foil highlights on the right just like the base while the die cut ones have gold. What differentiates these cards from the 150 card base set altogether is the logo near the lower left corner. From left to right the logos are different colors: copper, diamond, gold, and silver respectively.

I question how these sets were redeemed. Were all eight sets sent to the "redeemer" at once? Was just one set sent out randomly at a time?

More importantly to me, I specifically question the print runs for each set, I would assume that all are relatively scarce since there is no pricing for any of these cards in the Beckett OPG. Apparently each redemption set had a COA enclosed as well. I received this photocopy from the online seller that I won the non-die cut diamond (I believe) parallel from years ago:

[Image: scan0023-1.jpg]

So I wonder if all eight of the parallels had the same print run of eleven.

This is another case of one of those mysteries from yesteryear.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8