Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Everybody has a secret or two (or two hundred) stowed away somewhere. Luckily, most of us don’t need walk-in closets for our skeletons, but there are bound to be a few climate-controlled spaces hiding hush-hush hobby evidence.

Whether you paid an embarrassingly exorbitant price for an average card or you’ve illegally scaled an electrified fence to get an autograph from your favorite athlete, this is your chance to share your secret.

Depending on how revealing you’d like to be and how much of a “talkin’ to” you’re willing to endure, you might want to keep your responses anonymous on the <a href =http://www.blogbeckett.wordpress.com" target="_blank">blog</a>. However, if you’re willing to fess up to your collecting confession, feel free to shout it from the mountaintops here, there and everywhere.

We don’t have much experience in Hollywood style grilling and we frankly aren’t fond of rub burns, but here are a few questions to get the ball rolling:

<B>-What big items have you bought that were funded by selling your cards? How much did you sell? Have you tried to collect those cards again?

-What is the most amount of money you have ever thrown down on a single card? What was the card? Do you still have it?

-How often do you bid on online sports card auctions while working?

-What is the most money you've ever spent on a single <a href =http://www.beckettmarketplace.com" target="_blank">Beckett Marketplace</a> purchase?

-What is the most you’ve ever spent on your card hobby in one month?

-What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?</B>

Since this is an open forum, feel free to chime in with secrets and inquiries of your own.

<strong>-Andrew Tolentino</strong>

Two years ago, when I was 14 and Chad Johnson was still one of the Elite WR's in the NFL, I saw him at my hotel in Hawaii while I was there for the probowl and I just followed his every move for like an hour and a halve until he finally signed my football.
Last month, while I was unemployed and still not bring home a pay check,  I spent over $800 on cards...I get $1,400 a month UI, car payment & rent, then $800 on cards,,,I can't stop..I'm addiced to this hobby.  I'll spend my last dollar and eat popcorn for a week to get a card i want..
Oh yeah,  I once paid $475 for three Cal Ripken rookie cards back in the day...I don't have them anymore,  the Bitc_ from hel_ got them in the divorce...She had a better lawyer then me obviously. NLOL  (no laughing out loud)

jred047

Yeah well my confessions are that Im a student paying off a car and saving for living money at college and CANT BUY CRAP.  Hahaha I havent even bought a box yet....
spent my 3000 tax return "catchin up" on the hobby after stepping away for 4 years
I went through a 6-7,000 year on e-bay and retail buying acouple of years back. I think it might have been more but try not to think to much about it.One of my major buys was a bunch of signed stuff, all fake. Last i heard from the FBI,that guy's going to a federal pen for awhile.
i collect barbie cards when I can. weeeeeeeee

phoenix2009

lol that aint right
Lions Blue Wrote:I went through a 6-7,000 year on e-bay and retail buying acouple of years back. I think it might have been more but try not to think to much about it.One of my major buys was a bunch of signed stuff, all fake. Last i heard from the FBI,that guy's going to a federal pen for awhile.

Was he in Arizona?  If so, I bought something from his as well... rats.
Anyway, I went "crazy-go-nuts" in 2006.  I bought more boxes that year than I had bought in the previous 10 years added together.  I easily spent over $7500 that year at the hobby store, and more if you include eBay.  The only thing that saved me was, I was selling a LOT on eBay as well.
-What big items have you bought that were funded by selling your cards? How much did you sell? Have you tried to collect those cards again?
In 2003, I had an auction end over $1000 for some football cards.  The timing couldn't be better, as I used the money to get my car out of the shop (~$1800 worth of motor repairs).
-What is the most amount of money you have ever thrown down on a single card? What was the card? Do you still have it?
The most I ever spent on a single card was $152.54 before shipping for a 2008 Press Pass Legends Legendary Legacy Red Ink Autograph of Brett Favre (Stated print run 9) on eBay.  I still have the card too!  I had the money in my PayPal account, so I figured why not?
-How often do you bid on online sports card auctions while working?
WAY too often!  I have several searches set up that email me, so I can easily link to the auctions.
-What is the most money you've ever spent on a single Beckett Marketplace purchase?
$0 so far.
-What is the most you’ve ever spent on your card hobby in one month?
I'd have to say around $400-$500, including auctions, hobby and retail stores, and accessories.
-What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?
Sadly, I don't live close enough to any professional team to try to get many autographs in person.  I have gone to some signings and sent cards through the mail though.  Neither are very "crazy" though.  lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's
  • Beckett Message Boards: https://www.beckett.com/forums/index.php
  • :