Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A week and a half ago I posted on a recent custom card I designed. After struggling a bit with getting the perfect hole cut through a variety of cardstock and tools, my wife reminded me about the 3D printer they have at the local university.

I sat down and took a crash course in using SketchUp and designed something quick:

Sent the stl file off to be created:

Modified the original design to accommodate some incorrect measurements:

And printed it off, cut it up, and put it all together:

The 3d print job took 4 hours but only cost $1.50. Money well spent to have a flawless window to work with. My only complaint is that I need to improve on my fabric cuts. Otherwise I'm very happy to be using this medium. Thanks for looking!
Good thinking on your wife's part. Really cool, way to execute! Have you tried/looked into cutting fabric with heat tools?
This is a great idea! I want to get into customs, especially since I have been a freelance designer since college. This is one of the most unique approaches Ive ever seen to making a custom card, love it.

One thing I would look out for is the bleed on your designs. If you give yourself a little buffer all the way around, you can keep the text a bit further from the edges.
(07-21-2016 12:19 AM)jplarson Wrote: [ -> ]A week and a half ago I posted on a recent custom card I designed. After struggling a bit with getting the perfect hole cut through a variety of cardstock and tools, my wife reminded me about the 3D printer they have at the local university.

I sat down and took a crash course in using SketchUp and designed something quick:

Sent the stl file off to be created:

Modified the original design to accommodate some incorrect measurements:

And printed it off, cut it up, and put it all together:

The 3d print job took 4 hours but only cost $1.50. Money well spent to have a flawless window to work with. My only complaint is that I need to improve on my fabric cuts. Otherwise I'm very happy to be using this medium. Thanks for looking!

Awesome stuff,

just a couple tips about a few things I noticed, no way am I trying to put you down .... just trying to help! .... make the window on the top layer (front of the card) smaller that the opening on the 3d printed layer

also if you start with a larger piece of jersey .... use spray adhesive to adhere the jersey to a thin cardboard layer .... about the thickness of a comic book backer board. then cut your swatch out
My students show me videos of the things they make with their personal 3D printers. They can make anything. Yes, I do mean anything. Sometimes I have to remind them I work for the State and am a mandatory reporter, but their work is indeed pretty cool. I hope you get the chance to play around with it some more!
(07-21-2016 08:59 AM)coltsfansince85 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried/looked into cutting fabric with heat tools?

I haven't, tell me more!

(07-21-2016 09:19 AM)c squared Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I would look out for is the bleed on your designs. If you give yourself a little buffer all the way around, you can keep the text a bit further from the edges.

You are right about that. I don't know why I keep creating full bleed designs without some extra bleed or make some with white borders. I'll keep that in mind once I start the name plate.

(07-21-2016 11:08 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: [ -> ]just a couple tips about a few things I noticed, no way am I trying to put you down .... just trying to help! .... make the window on the top layer (front of the card) smaller that the opening on the 3d printed layer

also if you start with a larger piece of jersey .... use spray adhesive to adhere the jersey to a thin cardboard layer .... about the thickness of a comic book backer board. then cut your swatch out

I always appreciate critiques of my work. Only way I can improve! I like the idea to make the window a bit smaller than the actual opening for the material. It's sort of like my same issue with the full bleed from above.

I like the idea of using a spray adhesive to put the jersey on a firmer layer. I wound up using the window I cut out with double-sided tape which worked out okay but I think your suggestion would lead to a cleaner look. Do you have recommendations for a particular brand?

And thank you all for the feedback!

(07-21-2016 03:34 PM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]My students show me videos of the things they make with their personal 3D printers. They can make anything. Yes, I do mean anything. Sometimes I have to remind them I work for the State and am a mandatory reporter, but their work is indeed pretty cool. I hope you get the chance to play around with it some more!

Oh man, I saw designs for an NES and SNES that would fit a Raspberry Pi. I am all about that!
great custom!
Sweet!
Oh this is dope!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's