Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm just looking for an opinion on displaying some sets I'm putting together. I'm gathering the 2012-2104 National Treasures Rookie Jersey Mat Auto sets. I'm about 80% of the way collected and am preparing to set ups the display case.

I'm planning to either buy a case or take it to a professional framer. I'm willing to pay extra for a better finished product. I'm not planning to cheap my way through this, especially considering some of those 2012 cards.

Here's a quick mockup of the cards in mags. As you can see, I want to put the appropriate box top in the middle of the display. (In my mock up, I've mixed the card years up just to show the 35 card spaces for the 2012 set.)

My question is about grading the cards. About 15 of the cards I've bought are graded and slabbed. I'll either need to crack those open and put them in mags; or I'll need to get them all graded. I can't display 1/4 of the cards as slabbed graded and 3/4 mags. Disregard cost; what would you do? Grade slab all the cards to display the 2012 set? Or crack them open and mag them all?
(01-27-2016 11:19 PM)Jkrusse Wrote: [ -> ]Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm just looking for an opinion on displaying some sets I'm putting together. I'm gathering the 2012-2104 National Treasures Rookie Jersey Mat Auto sets. I'm about 80% of the way collected and am preparing to set ups the display case.

I'm planning to either buy a case or take it to a professional framer. I'm willing to pay extra for a better finished product. I'm not planning to cheap my way through this, especially considering some of those 2012 cards.

Here's a quick mockup of the cards in mags. As you can see, I want to put the appropriate box top in the middle of the display. (In my mock up, I've mixed the card years up just to show the 35 card spaces for the 2012 set.)

My question is about grading the cards. About 15 of the cards I've bought are graded and slabbed. I'll either need to crack those open and put them in mags; or I'll need to get them all graded. I can't display 1/4 of the cards as slabbed graded and 3/4 mags. Disregard cost; what would you do? Grade slab all the cards to display the 2012 set? Or crack them open and mag them all?

That will look sharp.

If $ is NO object then I would go with the professional framer- especially if you want them all together with the box (a neat idea BTW) also featured.

I wouldn't get them all slabbed UNLESS they are at all at least MINT than maybe. I personally am not as into having cards graded as some our- if the car checks out as Mint or better - I figure I don't need someone else to tell me their opinion. If it is NOT something you are keeping for yourself and want to raise the selling price and you believe there is an excellent chance to get back a 9.5 or better - sure, then do it. That's really the only reason to grade a card- to have an independent 3rd party professional raises the value - in come cases a lot. Personal collection - your happy with it - why?
Reference URL's