Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 2016 draft class doesn't excite me. Doesn't appear to be any true standouts at key positions. Last I checked some QB from north Dakota could be the first QB selected. Thoughts?
It will be like it always is ... interest in the new products, someone will start out hot, midseason lull, then nobody will care about 2016 when it's time for 2017, LOL
I agree, doesn't seem to have the buzz.

May be a good year invest in QB's because the low hype should keep the singles prices down.
CARSON WENTZ...get to know that name everyone! He's the QB from North Dakota State, my alma mater. This dude has some skills. He's got the intangibles that teams want in terms of size, athleticism, and can make every throw. Check him out in the Senior Bowl this weekend.

Obviously I'm biased, but we have heard up here (in ND) that he could go as high as #4. Many teams are interested and some may be jockeying up in the draft to get him.

If you didn't get a chance to watch the FCS Championship game from 2 weeks ago, go on YouTube and watch it. He dominates. Makes some unreal throws and has some wheels.
Good topic for thread - never too early to look at the NFL Draft if your team is out of the SB.

I never heard of the kid from ND- State - CBS has him going #13 and #22. Jared Goff (CAL) is the top QB on most mocks I found. Paxston Lunch (Memphis) is rated higher on most mocks at QB as well.

I think Joey Bosa - (OHIO STATE) LB - could have big-time impact in the NFL - and no longer are defensive players being pooh- poohed in the hobby as much as they once did - just check out the interest in JJ Watt's cards.

From a collecting stand point this Draft doesn't have the BIG recognizable names like in the past - At QB the top 3 QBs are from Cal, Memphis, and North Dakota State. As someone mentioned because these aren't big names they might be more affordable early. The problem is the early issues don't get much love in the hobby.

The RBs aren't the flashiest - Elliott and Henry are the top 2. RBs short life-span have lowered their value in the NFL and the hobby.

At WR you don't see the quality depth you have in recent years.

As for my team (the Packers) - I would like them to solve the ILB so they could move Mathews back outside full time. I would like to see them get Ragland (Alabama), but they may have to move up a little.

Hard to judge where players are going to go this early- still have the show-off games and the combine.
I AM ALWAYS EXCITED FOR THE DRAFT. THIS YEAR'S CLASS MAY BE A LITTLE WHO IS THAT GUY? IT WILL BE INTERESTING DRAFT FOR MY COWBOYS!
(01-26-2016 07:08 PM)maizenblue73175 Wrote: [ -> ]I AM ALWAYS EXCITED FOR THE DRAFT. THIS YEAR'S CLASS MAY BE A LITTLE WHO IS THAT GUY? IT WILL BE INTERESTING DRAFT FOR MY COWBOYS!

Don't be surprised if Wentz is picked by your 'Boys. They are the coaching staff that has him on their team at the Senior Bowl this week. Many mock drafts have Wentz going to them.
(01-27-2016 08:29 AM)madamson Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be surprised if Wentz is picked by your 'Boys. They are the coaching staff that has him on their team at the Senior Bowl this week. Many mock drafts have Wentz going to them.

Besides the Packers - the 'Boys are one of my favorite teams being a UT grad. I see a lot of mocks have them taking the OLB from UCLA, but I just saw one of the mocks from NFL.com and that person had them taking Wentz.

You're going to see quite a bit of movement between now and the Draft.

As far as the QBs - Wentz will have the most to gain = he only faced 1 FBS opponent in 22 starts and was mediocre in that one. If he looks real good against top competition and outperforms the other QBs at the combine he could challenge Goff. Great size, adequate arm strength (not elite), smart, great team-guy, and ability to improvise. Has taken some hits - and missed 8 game this year. Comes from a team that played pro-style passing offense.

Goff- Superior competition to Wentz. Like past Cal QBs - smart and well coached for the position. Never missed a game with injury, but doesn't have the sturdy build as Wentz,or his ability to move outside the pocket and improvise. Probably a top 5 pick - and the first QB off the board.

* Hackenberg - With good coaching and a few years as a backup - could eventually be a steal in the 2nd/3rd round.
(01-27-2016 09:55 AM)hemipowered Wrote: [ -> ]Besides the Packers - the 'Boys are one of my favorite teams being a UT grad. I see a lot of mocks have them taking the OLB from UCLA, but I just saw one of the mocks from NFL.com and that person had them taking Wentz.

You're going to see quite a bit of movement between now and the Draft.

As far as the QBs - Wentz will have the most to gain = he only faced 1 FBS opponent in 22 starts and was mediocre in that one. If he looks real good against top competition and outperforms the other QBs at the combine he could challenge Goff. Great size, adequate arm strength (not elite), smart, great team-guy, and ability to improvise. Has taken some hits - and missed 8 game this year. Comes from a team that played pro-style passing offense.

Goff- Superior competition to Wentz. Like past Cal QBs - smart and well coached for the position. Never missed a game with injury, but doesn't have the sturdy build as Wentz,or his ability to move outside the pocket and improvise. Probably a top 5 pick - and the first QB off the board.

* Hackenberg - With good coaching and a few years as a backup - could eventually be a steal in the 2nd/3rd round.

His only game against an FBS opponent (Iowa State) came in his very first start of his collegiate career and was down early and led them to a dominating performance. His arm is being called the "best in the draft" by many of those who are following it closely including those at the major networks. He's possibly the most mobile of the QB's which is growing more and more appealing lately.

With that being said, most definitely there is going to be a lot of movement/chatter/etc these next few months leading up to the draft. By the time the draft rolls around, he will have been the 1st QB to the 5th QB taken. Who knows!!!!!
Reference URL's