Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The shortest time it's taken to mail something out of the New Orleans sorting facility has been three days. The longest so far is eight. I'm hoping this has something to do with weather, because if not, the USPS has truly become a joke!
It's not due to the weather, unfortunately. Apparently they closed several large sorting facilities down and some of the others are WAY overtaxed at the moment. The Cincinnati sorting facility has been as bad or worse than that. I had a Priority 3 day take 2 weeks to get here recently. Couple that with the fact that I've also had stuff that took forever and nobody bothered to scan it until it was out for delivery and I'm thinking that they're intentionally trying to drive people to UPS or FedEx....
I haven't had many problems (I'm in Texas) but I have noticed that anytime I have a package that goes through Illinois it sits there for 3-5 days. This has happened at different times over the last 6 months. Its the only one I've really noticed that packages seem to get stuck in.
I just ran into this with an eBay purchase. Seller drops it at the PO in Miami FL, they forget to scan it in. Fast forward 3 weeks later it finally lands in Forest Park, IL sorting center. I opened a case on this and I feel bad on his behalf since I don't know what else he could have done short of scanning and emailing me a receipt...
This is not the fault of the USPS; it is the Government, as usual - meddling in the affairs of the free market that caused this nightmare. Read this:

At the very end of that year, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA). Under PAEA, USPS was forced to “prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in an astonishing ten-year time span” — meaning that it had to put aside billions of dollars to pay for the health benefits of employees it hasn’t even hired yet, something “that no other government or private corporation is required to do.

As consumer advocate Ralph Nader noted, if PAEA was never enacted, USPS would actually be facing a $1.5 billion surplus today:
By June 2011, the USPS saw a total net deficit of $19.5 billion, $12.7 billion of which was borrowed money from Treasury (leaving just $2.3 billion left until the USPS hits its statutory borrowing limit of $15 billion). This $19.5 billion deficit almost exactly matches the $20.95 billion the USPS made in prepayments to the fund for future retiree health care benefits by June 2011. If the prepayments required under PAEA were never enacted into law, the USPS would not have a net deficiency of nearly $20 billion, but instead be in the black by at least $1.5 billion.

..and the funny thing is, we ONLY hear about the internet, and email taking over snail mail...NOT true either...SOME change has occurred in the market, but the USPS could be in the black - JUST like the GROWTH of EVERY other company such as UPS, Fed Ex, etc... if they could JUST be LEFT to RUN their BUSINESS!

Reference: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/09...ve-itself/
- Kms
(03-07-2015 09:15 AM)axlgast Wrote: [ -> ]This is not the fault of the USPS; it is the Government, as usual - meddling in the affairs of the free market that caused this nightmare.

...but the USPS could be in the black - JUST like the GROWTH of EVERY other company such as UPS, Fed Ex, etc... if they could JUST be LEFT to RUN their BUSINESS!

100% agreed! It's in the quasi-government/non-government state which takes on the worst of both features.
Reference URL's