Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently I bought two vintage cards from a seller that were listed in two separate auctions. Both looked to be in fantastic shape considering the era. When I received the cards I looked over both and was satisfied with one, but I noticed something peculiar about the other. First off, below is the link featuring the card in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-SNYDER-1953-...1e9947bdfd

Here is the card featured on the web page:
[Image: 810611569_o_zps3cef1646.jpg]
Now, this is a scan of the card that I received:
[Image: 001_zps54396db5.jpg]
Let me put both side by side:
[Image: 810611569_o_zps3cef1646.jpg][Image: 001_zps54396db5.jpg]
The description of the card in the auction listing is very accurate, but what in the world is going on with the listing picture? That photo makes the card look virtually flawless. Sometimes scans do not show everything, and I understand that, but this clearly is not the case here. Also, I am convinced that the pictures are of the same card.

Could it be that the seller is involved with some photoshopping hijinx here? Similar accusations are being made in the feedback forum as well, although I question if time for this would have been invested for a card that would most likely not command a resultant high bidding price in the first place.

I do not want to be quick to make accusations about anyone, however this is very odd. Perhaps this could be classified as a PSA for potential buyers to look out for this type of seller stunt, if indeed it is one.
The picture on the bay was altered before posting. It's still the same card, but the corners are just a touch sharper - for one thing.
(02-15-2015 05:16 PM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]The picture on the bay was altered before posting. It's still the same card, but the corners are just a touch sharper - for one thing.

+100

This ebay seller is known for "doctoring" pictures/scans. It's most likely the same card as in the picture. I know everyone's entitled to do what they want but why in the world would you buy from a seller with his kind of feedback???

Either way, this seller is known in many other forums and is someone to definitely stay away from. Best bet is to get refund, leave negative feedback and make an update on this thread With the sellers ebay name so that others can be warned.
Looking at your scan vs. the ebay scan, there is a huge difference. The ebay scan was very altered: brightened AND sharpened to hide color flaws and the corner wear. Looking at his feedback, much of the most recent ones (going back 6 pages), are from the same buyers in apparently bulk sells. A couple of those buyers actually posted differently for each card and many of those indicated flaws in the cards received.
I'm glad you brought this to our attention. I know that I will never buy from this seller, no matter what card it is.
My first guess is he stole the scan of someone else's card. Looking at the 2 cards side by side, the borders are different.
Those are without a doubt the same card! now here is your scan with only 3-5 mins of photoshop... if I spent 15 mins on it I can make it look better than the sellers attempt. (coming from almost 20 years of graphic arts experience)

[Image: retouched_zpstdtu3uto.jpg]
Another common one of late is making base cards look like refractors. The seller plays the oke doke knowing card gurus will think it's listed incorrectly and buy it. It's happened to me a few times, but you can't complain because it is listed as a base card. After that I've asked a few of them and I always get the "I'll check and get back to you" or "I'll add another scan later"... they never do.
Thanks for your comments everyone. Let me respond to a couple in particular.
(02-15-2015 09:27 PM)altz11 Wrote: [ -> ]+100

This ebay seller is known for "doctoring" pictures/scans. It's most likely the same card as in the picture. I know everyone's entitled to do what they want but why in the world would you buy from a seller with his kind of feedback???

Either way, this seller is known in many other forums and is someone to definitely stay away from. Best bet is to get refund, leave negative feedback and make an update on this thread With the sellers ebay name so that others can be warned.
I know what you mean, I do. Nonetheless, my logic was that the seller had a 99.5% feedback rating, far from steller by eBay rating standards - but not horrific IMHO. In the past I have bought from sellers with even lower feedback scores and ended up with successful transactions most of the time. Sometimes I will roll the dice based on a case by case basis understanding that buyers can be disonest as well, extorting money from sellers by taking advantage of the neg feedback threat. In this case, however, the neg comments appear to have some validity. I guess I rolled snake eyes this time around.

I was also not aware of this seller's reputation on other forums beforehand. Had I known it would have played heavily in my decision making process.

Thanks for shedding light on this seller's background.

(02-16-2015 01:33 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at your scan vs. the ebay scan, there is a huge difference. The ebay scan was very altered: brightened AND sharpened to hide color flaws and the corner wear. Looking at his feedback, much of the most recent ones (going back 6 pages), are from the same buyers in apparently bulk sells. A couple of those buyers actually posted differently for each card and many of those indicated flaws in the cards received.
I'm glad you brought this to our attention. I know that I will never buy from this seller, no matter what card it is.
Good, I am glad this thread will help others not to get ripped off.

(02-17-2015 05:13 PM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: [ -> ]Those are without a doubt the same card! now here is your scan with only 3-5 mins of photoshop... if I spent 15 mins on it I can make it look better than the sellers attempt. (coming from almost 20 years of graphic arts experience)

[Image: retouched_zpstdtu3uto.jpg]
Wow! If that took you only a few minutes to do then I guess it is not that time consuming after all for one who knows what he/she is doing.
Wow, checking out the seller's feedback definitely shows he has a history of using pictures that are favorable and don't show the issues with a card. I don't want to mistakenly buy from them, but can't seem to figure out how to block them. Is there an easy way to block a seller?
Some of this guy's cards, including the RAW Mantles, Rod Carew and Pete Rose rookie he has listed are so incredibly clean, that it would be an act of idiocy NOT to have these slabbed by a TPG.

EVERY raw card he has listed worth more than $100 has PERFECT corners (or very near perfect). It would be an absolute act of lunacy for him NOT to have these graded, particularly given the high sales volume he has, AND the number of OTHER cards of much less value he DOES have graded.

- Kms
Very strange, he sold the '55 Clemente rookie TEN times since December, all going for pretty much north of $3,000 on some, and $600-$700 on 2 or 3...

Wow

-Kms
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's