Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Book Value
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good morning

I have one quick question i have always wondered. I have asked to trade a couple times and they had a card that was a 1 of 1 and they said the book value was 300$. My question is every time i have looked up a price the book said no price because rarity of the card. So how are they getting the price of the card. Is it just what they thought it was worth or is there a formula with a card that isn't so rare that they use.

Thanks
1) anyone whos claiming that a 1/1 has a bv, they're probably trying to blow ya some smoke
2) there is no book due to scarcity
3) they can come up with an approximate TV (trade value) by looking up comparitive sales of similar cards (a good rule of thumb I follow that tends to work well is, at least in most of my instances, TV=ebay sale x 2)

Hope this helps, good luck with your trades!
just what they think the card is worth. 1/1 has no value honestly.

I've done a few 1/1 trades, and it's based upon who the player is, how old the card is, how good the player is/was, and other factors (a player I collect, want to collect, know I can trade).

Those are just the basic factors to me.

If it's a 1/1 of say Russell Wilson and it's an auto'd 1/1, I'd say it's worth in the range of $200 or so, but it'd take a lot to get a card to be worth $300 in my honest opinion.
thank you i appreciate it man
They are right there is no BV on a 1/1. However Beckett does have a Certified Appraisal system much like Grading where if someone has a rare card with no BV they can send it in to Beckett for an appraisal and then all of a sudden Beckett can give you a value on it. So basically you have to pay above and beyond subscription price to get a BV for something that has no BV.
(09-17-2013 12:11 AM)bwolvie1122 Wrote: [ -> ]They are right there is no BV on a 1/1. However Beckett does have a Certified Appraisal system much like Grading where if someone has a rare card with no BV they can send it in to Beckett for an appraisal and then all of a sudden Beckett can give you a value on it. So basically you have to pay above and beyond subscription price to get a BV for something that has no BV.

an appraisal isnt a book value
(09-17-2013 08:01 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]an appraisal isnt a book value

Agreed, an appraisal is only accurate for like a second anyway lol
1/1 is worth however much you deem it. If its a card you want to have then you'll know how much you want to pay or trade or it. Reverse side, if someone wants it, you let them know how much it's worth to you. Depends on player and if there is an auto on it.
There is no such thing as " Book Value ", there is a Beckett Value, which is pretty much off the mark on everything.
(09-17-2013 12:11 AM)bwolvie1122 Wrote: [ -> ]So basically you have to pay above and beyond subscription price to get a BV for something that has no BV.

Great summary!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's