Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I have my first bad beckett trade going on... was looking for advice from people on this forum. I am not going to call this person out via this forum, I just want to make sure that my own actions are sufficient as well.

New trader with less than 5 trades. The negotiations were a bit wierd. We would come to terms and he would ask for more after agreement etc... He tried to use him shipping first as a bartering chip. He clearly wasn't reading the comments I was writing etc... He had two cards that I really wanted, so I traded in his favor $75 to $45... 3 autos + 1 Mem on my part, 1 auto and a Bryce Harper leg-up Var RC on his. Figured we'd be good as long as he shipped first...

The package arrived yesterday. The auto looked great. The harper was clearly damaged from the first time I laid eyes on it. Dented edge, a clearly dinged corner and 2 other corners that were dinged upon looking a little closer. When I took the card out of the top-loader, there was clear surface damage with several big/long indentations...

Here are pics...

Dented side
[Image: 80229E79-CB11-4AB5-8831-4F2BB5D94057-142...E8E578.jpg]

Ugly Corner 1
[Image: CB1BDDBF-BB4F-4480-926E-EA49356758C1-142...BDD508.jpg]

[Image: 86782B31-457B-41D3-A4C9-19832C1A128A-145...9EA29B.jpg]

Ugly Corner 2
[Image: E543C37B-836F-4034-981D-781B22634056-145...9D9E07.jpg]

Ugly Corner 3
About the same... pic came out fuzzy.

Surface...
[Image: 84D10467-96A5-4E7B-9227-74BC7822CE9A-142...0879C7.jpg]

I am by no means expecting perfection in a card. However, the card was clearly damaged in multiple areas. I would not feel comfortable trading this card to another member on this forum or anywhere for that matter.

I immediately contacted him and asked him how he wanted to resolve it...

I received "Idk..." as a response.

I then gave him several options...

1.) He reimburse shipping costs via paypal so I can send his cards back to him ASAP.

2.) He allows me to select a card of similar value, ships it... Then I will include the harper in the package back with the other cards he originally traded for.

I then received the awesome claim that the card was not damaged when he shipped it and that he didn't have paypal.

I informed him that if he were not open to remedying the situation I would be contacting a mod. Am I being reasonable here?
your being more than reasonable. trading $30 in his favor and no willing to help with either viable solution you gave. whether he knew it was damaged when he traded/shipped it is regardless to resolution.

who ever you are, fix it.
u are doing the right thing. had a similar thing like that happen to me. contact a mod right away. did u hit received on ur end though?
(08-25-2013 02:51 PM)snappyjoe75 Wrote: [ -> ]u are doing the right thing. had a similar thing like that happen to me. contact a mod right away. did u hit received on ur end though?

No, I held off on shipping until receipt because of the strange negotiations and few trades on his part.
No way that card got that banged up on the way over unless it was laying loose in the envelope/mailer. Either way you are 100% in the right and he should be doing whatever he has to to take care of it or reimburse you. Just a heads up though you should probably get rid of the $bv's in your OP.
Yea I would be pissed! Your doing everything you should and I would def contact a mod.
As a new member myself I cringe at this - no way I'd send a card like that in the first place! And then not to make it right is ridiculous - I'd do what I had to do to make it right. If that's contacting a mod then so be it. It'll also maybe protect those of us who may deal with this person in the future.
I also side with you on this. I am new, only have 5 trades to date but I go to great lengths to ensure quality shipping and to be completely clear on quality of cards before trade is completed. I even pulled out of a trade because after going back and looking at a card (a '76 Topps) I realized that the quality wasn't that good, I had never closely inspected it before. After that incident I request scans of all vintage I trade for because I want to double check quality. This being a new card you wouldn't think it would be that beat up but it should be on this guy to make good. Contact a moderator and have them help you out. If he doesn't work through it put him on blast and make sure no one trades with him in the future. Good luck.
Your going to get a few bad ones it seems. I would send it back and take the two dollar loss rather than give 30 extra to a bad trader.

I was lucky this week and got this response from a trader.

"I will ship your cards out when I have a chance. I have a life that exists outside of cards. I have not touched my cards in a month and sometimes go months without doing so. Once I get back in there I will get your cards out." He is correct its been a month. If i get the cards give negative?
(08-25-2013 04:26 PM)dustin12368 Wrote: [ -> ]Your going to get a few bad ones it seems. I would send it back and take the two dollar loss rather than give 30 extra to a bad trader.

I was lucky this week and got this response from a trader.

"I will ship your cards out when I have a chance. I have a life that exists outside of cards. I have not touched my cards in a month and sometimes go months without doing so. Once I get back in there I will get your cards out." He is correct its been a month. If i get the cards give negative?

A month?? Geez...I get not having time to sort, etc but when you commit to a trade the least you can do is take 15min to go get what you agreed to send and then ship it. Or a courtesy msg of hey i havent had time to pull your cards yet.

On the topic at hand that card's pretty bad for a new card, I would give a small benefit of the doubt if they got it in the top loader and never closely inspected but the real lack of concern on their part would be a definite send it back consider it a dead trade even if you have to eat 2 bucks shipping.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's