Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't working on building sets since back in the 80s but recently I decided to build a graded 1958 FB set. In my search for older cards I started noticing all the old cards and started noticing how much I liked some of them.

I remember thinking the 1984 was a great looking set but I think it may have had more to do with Marino, Elway, and Dickerson RCs. Now looking at the old cards I find myself drawn to the 51 and 52 Bowman sets. They are so simple and look like they may be drawings as opposed to photos.

Anyway, I realize most on the Forum seem to like the newer sets with autos, and initials, etc. and that's cool too. I'm not sure how many even still build sets like in the "olden days". But if you do, what's your favorite Football Set?
An EASY set to complete are the current Bowman releases. I bought a jumbo box (2008) and completed the entire set (minus 2 cards). I tried to do 2006 Turkey Red but collation was bad in hobby boxes and I got a ton of dupes and gave up.

I bet any Magic set would be nice....oh, and of course any vintage sets. I like the look of 1948 Leaf, but don't have $5000 to drop on it right now.
I like the 1950 Bowman and 1969 Topps sets.
(06-01-2013 08:58 AM)ugameck Wrote: [ -> ]An EASY set to complete are the current Bowman releases. I bought a jumbo box (2008) and completed the entire set (minus 2 cards). I tried to do 2006 Turkey Red but collation was bad in hobby boxes and I got a ton of dupes and gave up.

I bet any Magic set would be nice....oh, and of course any vintage sets. I like the look of 1948 Leaf, but don't have $5000 to drop on it right now.

Ditto on Magic... I like 2010 better than 2012 though... for something older, I like the the 1978 Topps. Don't ask me why. Not like it is a killer set with a bunch of hot names... just like the looks of it! I think that was one of the 1st packs I ever got! ha ha ha!
Im liking this years archives.... currently doing the FFA set ... its a blast ... I opened most of those as a kid in the first so it brings back a lot of memories Smile
(06-01-2013 09:39 AM)mnc99 Wrote: [ -> ]I like the 1950 Bowman and 1969 Topps sets.

I really like the 69 topps set too....for some reason I always like the Gale Sayers card from that set....very tough set to get in good condition.
(06-01-2013 04:42 PM)dmasci Wrote: [ -> ]I really like the 69 Topps set too....for some reason I always like the Gale Sayers card from that set....very tough set to get in good condition.

My favorite set is the 69' Also...not just because Gale is in there Wink....but because of the beautiful colors in a good specimen...,the edges in NM are SUPER tough..and the set is HUGE with a load of great players...
older stuff.....
48 Bowman....all the right stuff in a HIGH ender...
new stuff...
National Treasures is tough to beat.....incredible Players,autos and sets...they have the Look and the feel of a big time set.......
Big Grin
the Certified FotG Patch and patch/auto sets I have been in LOVE with since they came out...
and they/I have some Monster Patch sets of HOFers, All Pro's and current stars..
as Most of you know,i would kill for 5 at the moment...
Smile
I really liked this years Fleer retro as a newer set to do. I always liked those fleer inserts from the 90s with all the die cuts and the cheesy colors and it was cool to see it done with current players. Not sure if its really one to build for any type of value but it just seems like it would be a really fun set to do. I finally won me an Aaron Rodgers Jambalaya and I cant wait for it to come in.
Reference URL's