Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(01-29-2013 02:33 PM)shezdoni Wrote: [ -> ]Large envelope, first class mail at the PO is $2.45 not available online only at the PO

I didn't send Priority. If its a padded envelope it doesn't go as just a large envelope and is never $3.05. Some post offices do let this slide but I am told by mine that its not technically supposed to fly. If you can tell me how to pull this off let me know. I'd love to pay $2.45 or $3.05.

They told me $7.35 was the cheapest option.
(01-29-2013 03:45 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't send Priority. If its a padded envelope it doesn't go as just a large envelope and is never $3.05. Some post offices do let this slide but I am told by mine that its not technically supposed to fly. If you can tell me how to pull this off let me know. I'd love to pay $2.45 or $3.05.

They told me $7.35 was the cheapest option.

Here are the dimensions for mailing first class large envelope

2.3 First-Class Package Service Parcels
2.3.1 Weight

First-Class Package Service parcels cannot exceed 13 ounces, except for commercial plus parcels, which may exceed 13 ounces but must weigh less than 16 ounces.
2.3.2 Additional Physical Standards

The address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain all delivery and return address, endorsement, postage, and label elements. First-Class Package Service parcels are eligible for USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation services. A First-Class Package Service parcel is:

a. A mail piece that exceeds any one of the maximum dimensions for a flat (large envelope). See 101.2.1.

b. A flat-size mail piece, regardless of thickness, that is rigid or non rectangular.

c. A flat-size mail piece that is not uniformly thick (has bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities that cause the thickness to vary more than 1/4 inch).

These links will explain it better, but as long as the envelope is not completely rigid, and it is uniformly thick, and is not of an odd ball shape, it can be shipped as first class large envelope for $2.45

The first link will show you how to determine the package requirements

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#1002687

http://postcalc.usps.com/PopUps/LargeEnvelope.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q230b.htm#1009536
I just sent one today and it was just what Shezdoni said.
This ticks me off. Why the hell did they charge me $7.35 then. It seems it happened to another trader too. Look above.

(01-29-2013 05:02 PM)shezdoni Wrote: [ -> ]Here are the dimensions for mailing first class large envelope

2.3 First-Class Package Service Parcels
2.3.1 Weight

First-Class Package Service parcels cannot exceed 13 ounces, except for commercial plus parcels, which may exceed 13 ounces but must weigh less than 16 ounces.
2.3.2 Additional Physical Standards

The address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain all delivery and return address, endorsement, postage, and label elements. First-Class Package Service parcels are eligible for USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation services. A First-Class Package Service parcel is:

a. A mail piece that exceeds any one of the maximum dimensions for a flat (large envelope). See 101.2.1.

b. A flat-size mail piece, regardless of thickness, that is rigid or non rectangular.

c. A flat-size mail piece that is not uniformly thick (has bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities that cause the thickness to vary more than 1/4 inch).

These links will explain it better, but as long as the envelope is not completely rigid, and it is uniformly thick, and is not of an odd ball shape, it can be shipped as first class large envelope for $2.45

The first link will show you how to determine the package requirements

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#1002687

http://postcalc.usps.com/PopUps/LargeEnvelope.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q230b.htm#1009536
I am currently overseas right now but I have a U.S. PO Box here in Germany on the Air Force Base im stationed at. it does not cost anything different then it does in the states I just received a trade in the mail today and shipping was $1.95 and the package was sent on the 24th of Jan, 5 day turn around for a first class package is pretty good, so please don't let the Canada cost discourage people trading with people overseas. All I say is do research prior to doing a trade and ask the individual question before going to the PO so you are not blindsided with any additional cost.
(01-29-2013 05:52 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: [ -> ]This ticks me off. Why the hell did they charge me $7.35 then. It seems it happened to another trader too. Look above.

Depends on how your buying your postage, if your doing it online, you won't get it for the $2.45 price, that is only available at the PO

(01-29-2013 06:29 PM)ClownQuestion Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently overseas right now but I have a U.S. PO Box here in Germany on the Air Force Base im stationed at. it does not cost anything different then it does in the states I just received a trade in the mail today and shipping was $1.95 and the package was sent on the 24th of Jan, 5 day turn around for a first class package is pretty good, so please don't let the Canada cost discourage people trading with people overseas. All I say is do research prior to doing a trade and ask the individual question before going to the PO so you are not blindsided with any additional cost.

As you said it was shipped on the 24th, new postal rates went into effect on the 27th, therefor the package you received did not fall under the new postal rates.
It seems to me (from trades I receive) that it's a question of envelope thickness. If it's just a few cards and they're not all in thick toploaders, you can send it as shezdoni suggests and it costs $3.05. It's the same mailing from Canada to the US. There are two different thicknesses of envolope. One is what a PWE would fit through, then there's one that's a bit thicker, that a standard padded envelope with 2-4 cards would go through easily. If it goes through there and weights under 100 grams it costs me $2.65 to send it, if it doesn't go through there I'm looking at at least 7 bucks to send to the US.
And as has been stated on here, traders in Canada are the best, so don't go cutting us out just because your postal service is trying to screw you! =o)
(01-29-2013 06:41 PM)roger rabbit Wrote: [ -> ]And as has been stated on here, traders in Canada are the best, so don't go cutting us out just because your postal service is trying to screw you! =o)

I have to disagree with this part, the postal service isn't trying to screw anyone, they are the ONLY government agency that is totally independent when it comes to financial priorities, they receive no money from the government, they are not included in the federal budget etc...., they are solely independent on what they receive from selling their merchandise.

These people work their *****'es off every day, whether it is raining, snowing, icy, 120 degree heat, 40 degree below zero, floods, hail storms, etc.... to make sure we get the mail on time, and that city mail carriers have to walk miles each and every day to deliver the mail, while carrying a heavy sack of stuff....
and they have to put up with a lot of gruff from people that have no idea what they have to go through every day.
I had a trader cancel on me today because I'm in Canada. (Damn really wanted that Bowman Platinum Blue Avisal Garcia too) One way to look at this...if you went to a card show and picked up the cards you are about to receive in a trade, would you have paid what your postage was or more? If the answer is more then you are still ahead.
I quit shipping outside of the US the day I decided to ship EVERYTHING with DC ... trades, sales, high-end, low-end, doesn't matter.

I had sold a 1/1 for $52, sent it in a bubble mailer (with no DC) to some guy in Kentucky, and of course he said he never got it.

PayPal took my $52 away from me until I convinced them to give it back.

So the next time I went to ship some Young Guns off to Canada, I asked the PO guy how much it would cost for tracking to Canada, and he said I would need to send it through customs for like $11.95.

Guess what? No one wanted to pay $12 for shipping, and after the 1/1 debacle I said I would never send a card out without some kind of tracking number again.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's