Beckett Message Boards

You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I auctioned off a few box breaks on the Bay (Gold Standard and Five Star). I've done this many times before, and have yet to have a single complaint.

Until today...

Had a buyer purchase 3 teams from a 5-box break of GS. Only one of his 3 teams hit, and he wants a refund on the other two.

As most breaks go (at least all the ones I've seen and done), that's not how it works. Description clearly states that buyers that don't hit will receive a card from my PC, no refunds, etc...

That's not gonna work for this guy.

He's opened a case, and now it is in the hands of eBay on whether or not I receive the monies for the auction. I feel like I'm in the right, but I've heard many horror stories on here about how eBay tends to rule in the buyer's favor.

Good times.

/end rant.
Wow. This is why I'll never do group break thru ebay lol
Yeah good luck man...welcome to ebay haha. Ive been on there since 1998 and my last issue was 100% wrong by the buyer and they still ruled in their favor.
I'm gonna be furious if that's how it goes. The rules are clearly defined in the description. I'm sure he never read them. Or doesn't care.
I have yet to hear of a positive experience about a team break on eBay. They seem like HUGE money-maker for the seller, and pretty much jack for the buyer... and that is only when everything goes right. Obviously, this experience didn't go right.
(03-25-2012 07:16 PM)MTerry00 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm gonna be furious if that's how it goes. The rules are clearly defined in the description. I'm sure he never read them. Or doesn't care.

your rules might be clear - but ebay's rules are very clear also, and most group breaks violate at least some part of them, intentionally or not. without knowing exactly how yours are set up, maybe your the exception. but most cases against group break sellers are found in favor of the buyer
(03-25-2012 07:43 PM)all day baby Wrote: [ -> ]I have yet to hear of a positive experience about a team break on eBay. They seem like HUGE money-maker for the seller, and pretty much jack for the buyer... and that is only when everything goes right. Obviously, this experience didn't go right.

It is not a HUGE money maker at all. It sure seemed like it would be when I started it. But after eBay fees, and PayPal fees, supply costs, and shipping fees...most would be really surprised.

Also, this was my 5th and 6th break. From my first 4, I received positive feedback from every buyer.

Two of my breaks, I have made $20 or less. A 5-box case, I'll be lucky to make $50. And I can't tell you how many hours I put into it. And I'll lose money if this guy wins his case against me. The only time I made a decent amount was when a team wasn't bought, and I pulled a 1/1 from that team.

It's a lot of work. And not worth it if you add up $$ per hour. But I enjoy it (most of the time) and it's a cool way to open products without being out hundreds of dollars.
All you are doing is shifting the cost from you to your buyers, for your profit and enjoyment.
The point of a box break is instead of paying $450 for a box of Five Star, where all you really want to collect from it are Dallas Cowboys, you can bid $30 and hope to get a big hit.

Or you could just look for hits on eBay.

It's not for everyone. And I did not force the buyer to buy the listing.

The point IS to make money from these breaks. The ultimate goal is to make money to re-invest on cards I'd like to have.

I know it's not the buyer's responsibility to fund my hobby. But again, the buyer doesn't have to take that chance or buy from me.
(03-25-2012 08:16 PM)all day baby Wrote: [ -> ]All you are doing is shifting the cost from you to your buyers, for your profit and enjoyment.

+1... not to mention... Aren't group breaks against eBay policy??? Just saying...
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's