Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: So I was thinking...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, yes, me thinking is dangerous. But I was just wondering, why do we value rookie cards so high? I get that it was their first year in the league and it's the whole "1st edition" thing, but why aren't the cards of a player more valuable the year they win an MVP, or go to the Super Bowl? Any thoughts or insight?
I think it comes from the fact that "back in the day" kids wanted the cards of stars - other unproven (rookie) players were not valuable or desireable and were more likely to be destroyed/thrown out/lost.

Then when those rookies became stars - their rookie year cards were harder to find, thus more in demand and more valuable.

I think there are still people that look at the value of the Mickey Mantle RC and think the same thing will happen today with Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg - but the fact is EVERYONE is holding on to those cards so there is no scarcity. I don't know what the official estimates and production #'s are on the Mantle RCs, but I imagine many of them were tossed/destroyed, etc. (Mickey Mantle is a huge name now, but when he first started he might have been another Sean Burroughs, Brien Taylor, etc.)

Now the idea of RC value is ingrained in us and we stick with it. Really, the RCs shouldn't be anymore valuable than other cards, but it is a philosophy that is already in place and won't go away. For me, I always keep all RC's that I pull for just this reason. even better if some scrub turns great later on and no one kept his RCs.
Thanks for the input, anyone else?
Frankly, I really don't collect RCs. Do I pick up a few if they START on my teams? Yes, but I really don't collect rookies.

That being said, I did pick up quite a few Shipleys this season. It was totally on accident at first, but then I started getting them on purpose lol
I agree with hellsbells...also back in the day they did not have the hype coming into the leagues and many stars were unknown at first. Also, you had one or maybe two card companies and many players had 1 RC....can you even imagine that today? Cards were handled and traded and flipped against the curb in an attempt to win your buddy's cards etc. So to find cards today that are old and in close to mint condition....and be a star...well that really is pretty rare.
(01-25-2012 03:14 PM)hellsbells Wrote: [ -> ]Now the idea of RC value is ingrained in us and we stick with it. Really, the RCs shouldn't be anymore valuable than other cards, but it is a philosophy that is already in place and won't go away. For me, I always keep all RC's that I pull for just this reason. even better if some scrub turns great later on and no one kept his RCs.

Agreed, and if you search for players who are not the top 3-4 veterans on a team, they may appear in Topps, Score or Panini Adrenalyn otherwise it's RC's and practically done.
For my Jets, they have as examples rookies in 2002 DE/OLB Bryan Thomas, 2005 NT Sione Pouha, 2006 OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

A Beckett search will show that apart from being in Topps Total sharing a card those guys have almost no cards if any after their rookie year. The card companies have made rookie cards even more prestigious.

The modern mindset of expensive packs and base treated as junk has made it worse, if a box of $160 has 4 pack of 4 cards, each box has to have a hit, a shortprint auto swatch of a rookie, preferably a QB or top performing RB or WR otherwise too many people say junk to all 16 cards and try and dump it on the bay to get some money back. I watched a guy open 6 boxes of 2011 Absolute and mutter junk pack after pack, and say 'Not another Bilal Powell parallel'. He's a 2011 Jet who had almost no playing time but signed a truck load of auto stickers.

In comparison, the old days of the 90's, a search for Jets DE Marvin Washington, NT Scott Mersereau and OT Jeff Criswell shows they had multiple unique cards over multiple years, not masses and masses of rainbow parallels. Jets kickers and Punters (K Pat Leahy, P Louis Aguiar) had a lot of unique cards, today they would only get cards primarily if they are a 1st rd pick or the teams top pick (Jets 2005 top pick, 2nd rd Mike Nugent is an example if you are interested in looking.)

The old days are not coming back, I think it's more than 50% of the blame to the collectors, less than 50% to the card companies for making RC's so pricey.

A lot of people on here are excited about shortprint booklets, shortprint rookie parallels to 10 or 25 or 50, at times it seems it's the same card with a different rainbow border. Supercollectors here talk about 204/333 without 1 of 1's, 206/373 with 1 of 1's as an example. Doesn't that add fuel to the card companies fire to make more parallels and especially shortprint parallels of base cards and multiple variants of inserts. Look at Panini Gridiron Gear as an example, with different cutouts on the card with a swatch underneath, numbered to a different amount. Which is the true RC or does it not matter, there are basically 6 of them

No one much cares about base Andy Dalton's or Cam Newton's, but go 'WOW' if it's a Newton 4 color auto patch numbered to 5.

I'm not trying to sound like a screamer or a complainer, it's how I see these forums, collectors are talking about top RC's of top players.

A lot of us (including me) will go crazy in a few weeks when Playoff Contenders comes around again, who's SP who's SSP, who's on the bay, who's selling for what, who has (collected, or planning to sell or trade) the pose looking left, or throwing right, which player does or does not have a variant, does the player (Tebow) sign it GB on the bottom or not. Do I sell now when he's hot, or hold and hope he gets hotter.

That's why I say we the collectors have created this monster more than the card companiers, if we all said no, the card companies will stop, but they know the desire and motivation of Supercollectors, player collectors, even team collectors. Their high prices of packs mean they have to put in 'hits' in a box, those 'hits' have to be rare, fuelling the tops stars or especially the rookie collecting craze.

My long two cents
Reference URL's