Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I have begun making custom cards and sending them out to players for autographs, I have received two requests from former players for me to make and send more cards that they can use to give autographs to other fans. Both have offered to pay me for the extra cards if I can make them.

Both of these players played in the 50’s and 60’s, are members of the Packers Hall of Fame, and were kind enough to sign a card for me free of charge and write me a note about how they really liked the cards I made, which means a lot to me. I didn’t charge the first player, who requested 30 cards and I won’t be charging the 2nd player because they were nice enough to provide me with an autograph free of charge and took the time to write to me about how they liked my work.

As I think about it though, if I did charge players for extra cards, I could use that money towards autographs of deceased Packers legends for my PC (Tony Canadeo, Ray Nitschke, Arnie Herber, Vince Lombardi, Reggie White, Etc.) which are currently way out of my price range otherwise. Even at 0.50-1.00 per card, it would add up very quickly and the main cost to me would be my own time as the card paper and ink aren’t overly pricey so it would provide me with some extra funds to build my collection further. At the same time, I just don’t feel right about charging the older players who helped make the sport into what it is today for cards of themselves that they want to give to other fans and collectors.

I don’t plan on changing my view on charging the players, but the chance at being able to further add to my PC has made it tempting. What would you do?
If your cards include nfl logos, team logos...anything like that, you would me in violation of copyright law
I found one of your post, mann you do a nice job. The design for Fuzzy is sweet. If I was in their position, I would order more too. (Even IF it was a copy right infringement).
Also what you could do is contact the team and tell them your situation and that you aren't making any money off of it. Just don't charge the player for the cards. You suppose to have consent to use team logos and stuff, mainly if you are making money off of it. Be sure to provide the team a copy of it and they may approve.
really man it would just depend on how many they requested. i wouldnt charge for 30 cards as you didnt with the first guy. maybe you can work with those guys and get other autos of players you need through them. i'm sure they still keep in touch with ex player (not deceased obviously) but take it from that outlook and they may help further your collection another way and just save your normal card money for the others you need that may be a little spendy.
Thanks everyone! As I mentioned in my post, I don't think I would ever bring myself to charge a player who was kind enough to give me an autograph free of charge. I also wouldn't want to infringe on copyright laws at all.

Kollectornet, thanks for the compliment. It is definitely appreciated. Will have another post later today as I got 5 different customs back this week.

Ryan, really like your idea about asking the players for help on other players. I kind of did that in the 2nd letter I sent to Fuzzy along with the cards he requested. Just mentioned that I appreciated getting his autograph and that I was trying to collect autographs from as many Packer players, past and present as I could. Don't know if that will yield any results, but if it does that would be great.

Might also just save up the card money for the guys that I can't get through the mail and make customs for the rest and see if I have any luck. Randall Cobb is one that comes to mind for sure. If I can save $20 by sending him a custom instead of trying to land a certified auto here or on the bay, that's $20 to put towards a Nitschke or something like that.
I say as long as THEY aren't charging, and they are only looking to do this to send them out and make people feel how you feel about getting an auto in the mail, then I say free...Smile you are doing a really good thing for all involved, and I ALWAYS believe you will get yours in the long run... just my 2 cents...
bring it up as something that helps all parties involved... Tell them about stuff you are trying to put together or autos you have been trying to get and ask if it is possible if they can help you... regardless, make the cards!
You are doing a really good thing for all involved, and I ALWAYS believe you will get yours in the long run... just my 2 cents...

Couldn't agree more man. Nice way to put it
Thanks! That is how I am going to look at it. I'm helping the former players out and helping out other autograph seekers at the same time. No way I could charge someone who was nice enough to give me their autograph for free! Smile
(10-07-2011 01:10 PM)superynaldo Wrote: [ -> ]I say as long as THEY aren't charging, and they are only looking to do this to send them out and make people feel how you feel about getting an auto in the mail, then I say free...Smile you are doing a really good thing for all involved, and I ALWAYS believe you will get yours in the long run... just my 2 cents...

my thoughts exactly !!! Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's