Your Turn: Who’s on your collecting Mount Rushmore?

Rushmore

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

It’s a simple question that could spark many, many different answers, and it’s one that I used to laugh at when it was posed in the newsroom from time to time when it came to sports debates. But it’s also a question that seems to resonate with me as a collector so much to the point that I’m not sure I can even answer it decisively.

Who’s on your Mount Rushmore?

As trivial as it may sound, picking a top four players for a team or a school may not be that hard if you’re talking purely about one’s place in history. But for a place in a collection? For me, it’s tough.

ESPN even got into this debate some time ago with its own version. You can select your state and see its icons as voted on by readers. The picks for the state of Alabama, for example? Hank Aaron, Bear Bryant, Bo Jackson, Willie Mays. I could see that, though football seems to be a bit higher priority than that list may indicate.

The Mount Rushmore of Texas? It’s perhaps changed since then … Lance Armstrong, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan and Tom Landry. Not bad, but I’d bet Armstrong falls off that list today. And no Emmitt Smith? Well, he was from Florida. So … Florida? Dan Marino, Don Shula, Bobby Bowden and Tim Tebow. Any of those names surprise you? (Not if you lived there in the last decade.)

How about New York? Babe Ruth, Joe Namath, Jim Brown and Jackie Robinson … what? No Mickey Mantle? And what about a lesser-populated state such as Wyoming? Rulon Gardner, Jay Novacek, Kenny Sailors and Bobby Harris, a pro rodeo star.

So, now, I pose to you this … a few scenarios of the Mount Rushmores of collecting. Who would be on these? (Tell us in the comments below.)

— The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

— The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people)

— The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people)

— The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)

— The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)

— The Mount Rushmore of [pick any collecting subject]

Collecting is a very personal experience for many — so the answers may have similarities but there may also be differences based upon how someone picks.

For me, my picks would be personal. My Mount Rushmore of my baseball team would skew younger instead of older legends and skew toward power hitters. For Oakland, it’d likely be Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson and Nick Swisher, though I liked watching McGwire more as a Cardinal. (Sorry, Reggie Jackson … see that spot between Roosevelt and Lincoln? You fell off.)

For my state? Well, I don’t really claim one as I’ve bounced around. (You saw how the Wyoming list looked. I grew up there.) If I were forced to pick a Wyoming list, it couldn’t even be a baseball list. It would be former NBA player John Johnson, former XFL quarterback Corte McGuffey (torched my school in basketball … but he has a Topps card!) and … I got nothing. Maybe Theo Ratliff or Fennis Dembo? Or not …

For my school, Alabama, I’ll go with Bear Bryant, Joe Namath, Shaun Alexander and Mark Ingram. (Oh, wait … this is a baseball list. Common Alabama mistake.) I’ll go Hall of Famer Joe Sewell, Dave Magadan, Andy Phillips and Mel Allen. Sure, Allen’s not a player … but he’s all over some moments in MLB history as a broadcaster for the Yankees.

For my collection, this one’s also too tough, but I know my Roger Maris Rookie Card would be there along with Henderson’s RC and likely Canseco’s 1983 Madison Muskies card. After that, I dunno, maybe my T206 Christy Mathewson? I’ll be interested to see if you guys can pick just four — and whether it was easy.

My Mount Rushmore of autographs obtained in-person would be … Hulk Hogan, Joe Namath, Jose Canseco and Nick Swisher. Three of the four weren’t easy — in fact one was absolute dumb luck with Namath at the 2000 Iron Bowl. (That’s a story I’ll tell here someday.) For certified autos, I’d go

I’ll do card brands as my last one. I’d pick, as my personal top four: Allen & Ginter, Topps Heritage, USA Baseball boxed sets and Topps T205. That last one is another one I’ll explain, too … someday.

What are your Rushmores? Tell us in the comments below … we might run a selection of the most interesting or creative answers in an upcoming magazine.

1. Mark S.
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

My general Mt. Rushmore would be Greg Maddux (I have over 10,000 cards), Mike Piazza, Frankk Thomas and David Wright.

My team Mt. Rushmore would be David Wright, Jose Reyes, Mike Piazza and George Thomas Seaver.

2. Ron H
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

From my collection I would have to go 1955 Hank Aaron; 1956 Willie Mays; 1957 Duke Snider & 1967 Mickey Mantle.

3. Mark Beckwith
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

My team Mt Rushmore would be Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, Dallas Braden, & Dave Stewart for baseball. For football it would be Jason Witten, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, & Michael Irvin.

4. Thomas Turner
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Personal collection…

Dale Murphy, Jose Canseco, Nolan Ryan & Don Mattingly.

5. Mark
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

— The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Eddie Mathews, Chipper Jones (hitters)
    Warren Spahn, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Phil Niekro (pitchers)

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people)

Jim Brown, Jack Nicklaus, Jesse Owens, Pete Rose

– The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people)

Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Jim Jackson, Michael Redd (basketball)
    Archie Griffin, Woody Hayes, Eddie George, Cris Carter (football)

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)

’54 Bowman Ted Williams, ’54 Topps Hank Aaron, ’55 Topps Roberto Clemente, ’55 Topps Sandy Koufax

– The Mount Rushmore of my favorite cards
    ’86 Donruss Dale Murphy, ’79 Topps Jim Rice, ’91 Topps Roger Clemens, ’56 Topps Mickey Mantle

6. Robert
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

My Mount Rushmore of autographs obtained in-person would be Adrian Peterson (x2), Hulk Hogan (x2), Ric Flair and John Cena.

7. Brandon
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Since I live in dallas I think it would be nolan Ryan dirk nowitzki Tom Landry and Brett hull greats from all four teams

8. kris
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

autograph john Mario Lemieux( cup foundations/10 wayne gretzky spa Maurice Richard missing link and hank aaron 2000 golden anniversity greats they were all pulled from packs.

9. Dan Carstens
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

My school Mt. Rushmore, Southern Illinois University:

Steve Finley, 5-time Gold Glove, 2-time All-Star

Brandon Jacobs, 2-time Super Bowl Champioin

Walt Frazier, snappy dresser, my favorite basketball player to collect

Randy Savage, professional wrestler. Actually, no one quite knows whether or not he went to SIU. It was on Wikipedia for a while, and when he passed away it was included in some reporting…but I say we should go ahead and claim him.

10. Shawn Vance
    Posted July 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Baseball Team – Seattle Mariners: Ken Griffey, Jr., Ichiro Suzuki, Randy Johnson and Edgar Martinez

State – West Virginia: Jerry West, Hal Greer, Randy Moss, Mary Lou Retton

Schools – North Carolina: Michael Jordan, Lawrence Taylor, Dean Smith, Mia Hamm
    Marshall – Hal Greer, Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Mike D’Antoni

Collection – 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr. RC, 2003-04 SPx LeBron James RC, 1984 Topps Dan Marino RC, 2001 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres Tribute to 42 Jackie Robinson Pants/Cut Auto

11. Gerald L
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

My Mount Rushmore of autographs obtained in-person would be Dwight Gooden, Terry Norris, Kenny Anderson and Trish Stratus.

The Stratus is without a doubt my favorite

12. Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Jefferson Burdick, Jim Beckett, Arthur Shorin, and Richard McWilliam

13. Paul
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink

For my baseball team (Minnesota Twins) I’d go Killebrew, Mauer, Dan Gladden, and Brian Harper.
    For my footbal team (Dallas Cowboys) I’d go Staubach, Dorsett, Landry, Bill Bates
    For my in-person autograph team, I’d go Namath, Killebrew, Denard Span, A.J. Pierzynski

14. Zach
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people) – Indians
    Bob Feller, Jim Thome, Carlos Santana and Jason Kipnis

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people) – Virginia
    Justin Upton, BJ Upton, David Wright, Justin Verlander

– The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people) – Ohio State
    Not many from baseball to choose from, So we’ll go with Nick Swisher, Troy Smith, Eddie George, Mike Conley

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards) –
    1954 Dan-Dee Mickey Mantle, 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken Jr Rookie Card, 2011 Allen and Ginter Mini Silk Jason Heyward #’d to 10, 2011 Triple Threads Carlos Santana Relics Sapphire Carlos Santana #’d to 3

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)
    Cal Ripken, Bob Feller, Bryce Harper, Satchel Paige

15. Posted July 2, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Jamal Crawford, Maurice Clarett, Britney Spears, Michael Jordan. Those four are the four players/Celebrities I only collect.

16. Doug
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

Seattle Mariners (Yikes!): Ken Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Ichiro, Lou Piniella

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)

– ’69 Topps Reggie Jackson RC

Babe Ruth -Murders Row Quad auto with Gehrig, Meusel, Lazzeri 1/1
    Jim Thorpe- Dual Cut with Jim Brown #2/2
    Michael Jordan- SPA autograph #5/5
    Wayne Gretzky- Exquisite # 2/5

18. Mike Little
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

My Mt. Rushmore would be Ryne Sandberg, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo and Harry Caray for the Chicago Cubs.
    For my Chicago Mt. Rushmore it would be Michael Jordan, Dennis Rodman, Walter Payton and Ryne Sandberg.
    Granted the all-time Chicago Mt. Rushmore would be Jordan, Payton, Ernie Banks and Da Coach, Mike Ditka.
    My Mt. Rushmore of in person autographs would be: Steve Martin, Ryne Sandberg, Bill Clinton and Magic Johnson.

19. Nathan Crandell
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

Otis Crandall (aka Doc Crandall)
    Hank Aaron
    Ernie Banks
    Jason Heyward

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)

A 1954 Ernie Banks RC with the Cubs symbol cut out
    Autographed Brett Favre RC
    1914 Cracker Jack Otis Crandall
    1888 Allen & Ginter Chief

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)

Jeff Bagwell Autographed Ball (Won from Tristar)
    Dale Murphy Autographed Ball (in-person)
    Brett Favre Autographed RC (mail)
    Jose Constanza Game Used Autographed ball (caught the ball during batting practice and had him sign it)

– The Mount Rushmore of [pick any collecting subject] (Ginter sets)

1888 Allen & Ginter American Indian Chiefs (I have about 10-12)
    N8 Allen & Ginter Fish ( I have about 6-7)
    2010 Allen & Ginter Sets & Subsets ( I have about half the auto set and 75% of the relic set and all subsets save world’s biggest)
    1888 Allen & Ginter Sports (I only have 1 swimming guy)

20. dean martin
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

My team(mets) Gary Carter,david wright, nolan ryan, tom seaver
    My state(VA) non sport George Washington, Thomas jefferson, Robert E Lee, Woodrow Wilson
    sports Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Sam Snead, David Robinson
    non human Secretariat
    My School (Va Tech) Bruce Smith, Mike Vick, David Wilson, angela tinchner
    My Collection 1957 topps willie mays, 1959 topps mickey mantle, 2012 NT Honus Wagner/ Nap Lajoie bat, RG3 Auto Jersey RC

My Autos Yaz, Johnny Damon, RG3, Andrew Luck

21. Cubbie Nation
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

i’m a cubs fan so my cubs mt rushmore would include

ryne sandberg, ron santo, ernie banks, and mark grace

22. Bill Dorazio
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I would have to have a Four Sport Mt. Rushmore of the Following Players:

Babe Ruth for Baseball, Michael Jordan for Basketball, Joe Montana for Football & Wayne Gretzky for Hockey.

23. bill johnson
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Frank thomas
    Darrelle revis
    Dwight gooden
    Geno smith. Yeah I know hes a rookie but im from wv and a jets fan

24. Adam Lawrence
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

My Mount Rushmore of collection includes Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Peyton Manning, & Triple H of the WWE. Teams are Colts/Broncos (Peyton), Lakers, Tarheels (basketball), Miami Hurricanes (Football), Atlanta Braves…favorite WWE Stars are Triple H, CM Punk, Randy Orton, & Dolph Ziggler.

I have 2 Kobe Bryant autographed pictures, plus another signed by him & Vince Carter on a picture of the 2. I have a personalized autographed picture from Triple H also. Some cool pieces I have off the top of my head is the 1996 Kobe Bryant Pacific Power Platinum (#8 of 25), Jerry Rice Topps 1986 RC (Graded 9), Carmelo Anthony Topps Rookie autograph, & Cal Ripken Jr. Super Rave (#3 of 25) of the 1999 Skybox Thunder series.

25. Micah
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 12:17 am | Permalink

For the Jays its actually kinda hard.
    Carter McGriff Delgado, but spot 4 is a toss up between Doc Halladay and Jose Bautista.
    Titans/Oilers
    Warren Moon Earl Campbell Steve McNair and Eddie George.

26. Joseph
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink

This one is easy for me.

Drew Bledsoe, Michael Jordan, Don Mattingly, and Barry Sanders

27. J.R.
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 8:40 am | Permalink

OK, I’ll bite. Cool idea for a question:

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people): Matt Harvey, David Wright, Rey Ordonez, Ed Kranepool

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people): Jason Kendall, Chris DeMaria, Dennis Rodman as a Laker, and Darryl Strawberry as a Dodger.

– The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people): Well, Loyola HS hasn’t had a whole lot to talk about in the pros, but: Daniel Muno, Tim Layana, Matt Ware (played minor league ball for Seattle), and, well… Chris Conte.

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards): Matt Ware 2004 Bowman Chrome 1/1, Cam Newton 2011 Topps 1/1, 1933 Delong Lou Gehrig PSA 1, 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan RC.

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs): Yasiel Puig, Vin Scully, Michael Jordan, and John Wooden.

– The Mount Rushmore of [pick any collecting subject]: Random. Mr. Met, Jim Boeheim, Matt Ware, and Hank Gathers

28. michael runyon
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

GREG MADDUX, PETE ROSE, TED WILLIAMS, JACKIE ROBINSON

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people)

MICHAEL JORDAN, DALE EARNHARDT, RICHARD PETTY, DAVID THOMPSON, MEDOWLARK LEMON

– The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people)
    I will go with my favorite schools

NC STATE – DAVID THOMPSON NAVY – ROGER STAUBACH WEST VIRGINIA -JERRY WEST MARSHALL – RANDY MOSS

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)
    DAVID PEARSON RICHARD PETTY DUAL AUTOGRAPH
    DAVID PEARSON DARRELL WALTRIP RICHARD PETTY CALE YARBOROUGH QUAD AUTOGRAPH BOOKLET
    DALE SR CERTIFID AUTOGRAPH
    SHANE HUFFMAN AUTOGRAPHED TIRE CARD [THERE ARE ONLY 25 AND ITS NAVY SPONSORSHIP]

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)
    DAVID PEARSON, DALE SR, RICHARD PETTY, JEFF GORDON

– The Mount Rushmore of Die cast

DAVID PEARSON PUROLATOR MERCURY UNIVERSITY OF LEGENDS
    RICHARD PETTY WIX FORD TORINO
    BRAD KESELEOWSKI BLUE ANGELS
    SHIRLEY MULDOWNEY BLUE ANGELS

of this list i only have the richard petty and shirley muldowney. The pearson and keselowski are my most wanted

29. michael runyon
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

MT RUSHMORE OF MY FAVORITE SPORTS CITY CHICAGO

MICHAEL JORDAN WALTER PAYTON GREG MADDUX BOBBY HULL

MT RUSHMORE OF my current hometown area

JACK INGRAM, BRAD DAUGHERTY, BRAD JOHNSON, CHARLIE CHOO CHOO JUSTICE

30. chrisolds
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Glad to to see the Mount Rushmore idea catching on. Wasn’t sure if it would …

31. Ron Atkinson
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 12:54 am | Permalink

my favorite team NY/SF Giants-Mays, McCovey, F. Alou, Marichal

my favorite in person Giants autos–Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Dave Dravecky (my all time Giants hero)

in person SF 49ers autos- Tittle, McElhenny, Nomellini, RC Owens

favorite cards-1957 Topps Pascual (oldest card in my original boyhood collection), 1960 Topps Mays/Rigney, 1960 Topps Yaz rookie, 1960 Topps Musial (actually survived my bicycle spokes!)

My Mt. Rushmore groups definitely date me!

32. Kevin
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

My overall hobby Mount Rushmore would be:

Mickey Mantle
    Nolan Ryan
    Michael Jordan
    Ken Grifey Jr.

Very baseball heavy but I honestly can’t think of any guys form hockey, football or bball 9other than Jordan) that are bigger than those three as far as cards go.

33. Kevin

Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

My persoanl collection Rushmore is:
    1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan
    1981 Topps Joe Montana
    1979-80 Topps Wayne Gretzky
    1955 Topps Roberto Clemente

I didn’t intend to have one from each sport it just worked out that way.

The first three cards have been in my collection for 20+ years and I refer to them as the three wisemen.

37. Posted July 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people) – KC ROYALS:
    George Brett, Dick Howser, Frank White, and Ewing Kauffman

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people) – Lived half my life in FL and half in MD so:
    FL: Chipper Jones, Steve Carlton, Andre Dawson, and Pop Lloyd
    MD: Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, Lefty Grove, and Al Kaline

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)
    1975 Topps George Brett RC, 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC, 1909 American Caramel Joe Jackson RC, and 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle FTC

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)
    Walter Johnson, George Brett, Connie Mack, and Satchel Paige

– The Mount Rushmore of Baseball Collecting Experiences:
    Collecting with my daughters (Jaina 11 & Judi 9), Attending The National, Visiting Cooperstown, and Reading my Beckett each month for the last 25+ Years

38. JonathanI
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Team: Banks, Castro, B. Jackson, & Matt Szczur (Look to the future!)
    Collection Favorites: 1911 T205 Gold Border #151 Orval Overall, 1933 Goudey #202 Gabby Hartnett RC, 1960 Topps #513 Chicago Cubs CL, & 1964 Topps Coins #42 Ernie Banks
    General: Back in the days before Topps had no competition because they bought it, not because they were better.

39. Kevin
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

The Mount Rushmore of hobby personalities:
    Tracy Hackler
    Chris Justice
    Brian Grey
    Susan Lulgjuraj

Chris Olds almost got the 4th spot but Sooz’s Jersey accent was just too hard to beat.

40. Susan Lulgjuraj
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I’M FROM NEW YORK!!!! (I only lived in NJ for a while)

41. Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)

Yankees: Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jeter

– The Mount Rushmore of your state (four players/people)

Arizona: Lute Olson, Sean Elliott, Luis Gonzalez, Jerry Colangelo

– The Mount Rushmore of your school (four players/people)

University of Arizona: Lute Olson, Sean Elliott, Jennie Finch, Tedy Bruschi

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)

1997 Bowman Derek Jeter Auto, 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle MVP, 1972-73 Topps Wilt Chamberlain, 2002 Press Pass Lute Olson Auto

42. Scott M
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I have a bit of a weird Mt Rushmore. Favorites from each sport and each is player is from a different state. My Mt Rushmore would be – Jerry Rice, Jason Kidd, Marian Hossa and Todd Helton. How is that for diversity?

43. Tom
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:50 am | Permalink

The Mount Rushmore of “collecting experiences” –

1. Tickets from personally attending in my lifetime a World Series Game, an MLB All-Star Game, a Super Bowl Game, an NCAA Tournament game (first and second rounds), Wimbledon (semi-finals), and a Stanley Cup Game.

2. Personally meeting Bob Feller and Herb Score at the 1997 National in Cleveland and having them autograph a 1997 MLB All-Star baseball (red/blue stitching).

3. The advent of ebay, a marvelous tool used over ten years to construct a Cleveland Indians/Naps type card collection and a few vintage and modern player collections.

4. Starting my Cleveland Browns collection (all major issues 1950 to 1985 and many minor issues) in high school with a 1950 Otto Graham (for $10), a 1950 Marion Motley (for $5) and a 1950 Lou Groza (for $5) at a local firehall card show.

44. rick
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

This was an awesome idea!!!!!

Babe Ruth

Mickey Mantle

Willie Mays

Hank Aaron

45. rick
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Ok, now my Mt. Rushmore cards in my collection

1. 1955 topps Clemente BVG 5

2. 1956 topps Mantle BVG 4

3. 1968 topps Ryan PSA 6 & BVG 6 (two I know)

4. 1976 topps Payton BVG 8

46. Ryan
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I can get with this…here goes…

My football team (Jaguars) Mark Brunell-Fred Taylor-Tony Boselli-Maurice JonesDrew
    My hockey team (LA Kings) Wayne Gretzky-Luc Robitaille-Dave Taylor-Jonathan Quick
    My high school (Granada Hills High School, Granada Hills, CA) Ryan Braun-John Elway-Gary Matthews Jr-Kameron Loe
    My four favorite basketball players Larry Bird-Reggie Miller-Dirk Nowitzki-Blake Griffin

My four favorite sets (sports & non-sports) 1998 E-X2001 (FB)-1996-97 E-X2000 (BK)-1992 Marvel Masterpieces-2005-06 Upper Deck (HK)

47. Coimbre21
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

TEAM
    Red Sox – Yaz, Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx, Carlton Fisk

COLLECTION
    1969 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 8 – Sentimental favorite from my wife
    1966 Topps Venezuelan Roberto Clemente
    2008 Topps Sterling Lou Gehrig /10 Quad Relic Bat/Pinstripe
    1950-51 Toleteros Francisco Pancho Coimbre – Greatest Puerto Rican player before Clemente

AUTOS
    Yaz ball
    Nolan Ryan ball
    Bench, Rose, Perez on one ball
    1970-71 Ponce Lions Puerto Rican League team ball – Includes Alomar Sr, Dave May, Pat Corrales, Jose Cruz, and Jackie Hernandez (who gave me the ball).

OTHER
    Gene Colan commissioned master pencil art of Galactus.
    George Tuska commissioned pencil & watercolor of Iron Man & Dr Doom.
    KISS box set auto of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley personally obtained from both in full makeup, at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd.
    Carl Yastrzemski Scrapbook – one of a kind personal effort I began compiling in 1972 until Yaz retired in 1989.

48. Coimbre21
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Correction, until Yaz was inducted into the HOF in 1989.

49. Posted July 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Ryan, I am also a Jags fan and love your Jags Mt Rushmore, but mine would have to be: Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Tony Boselli, and Tom Coughlin. MJD is undoubtedly great, but I have give it to the coach who turned us into a winner faster than any franchise in NFL history. Of course, I’d have to put Jimmy Smith ahead of him too. :-)

50. Posted July 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

– The Mount Rushmore of your baseball team (four players/people)
    * Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz

– The Mount Rushmore of your collection (your best four cards)
    * 1953 Topps #82 Mickey Mantle, 1952 Bowman #218 Willie Mays, 1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax, 1953 Topps #1 Jackie Robinson

– The Mount Rushmore of autographs (four best sigs)
    * 2005 Absolute Memorabilia Absolutely Ink Swatch Single Spectrum #115 Frank Thomas Bat/25, 2012 Panini Cooperstown Signatures #40 Carl Yastrzemski/75, 1994 Ted Williams #NNO Leon Day AU/Certified Autograph, 2006 Artifacts Auto-Facts Signatures #KG Ken Griffey Jr./800

– The Mount Rushmore of my collection (favorite players to collect)
    * Albert Pujols, Ken Griffey Jr., Carl Yastrzemski, Roberto Clemente

Bart Starr
    Brett Favre
    Aaron Rodgers
    Donald Driver

53. Ryan
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Jeff, you are probably right about the MJD-Coughlin argument…I didn’t give Jimmy Smith much credit, especially considering his current six year bit he’s serving on drug charges in Mississippi, but he had some great games (esp. his 310 yd receiving game vs. Baltimore, still an NFL record).

54. Bill Heinick
    Posted July 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

My Mt. Rushmore top 4 would be football as it is all I still collect and I am old. I have to go Johnny Unitas, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders. I have jersey cards of all 4. I do have a JohnnyU auto but its not on a card. Since the autos on these 4 are getting pretty expensive and two of them are no longer with us, the jersey cards will have to do.