Your Turn: What’s your favorite “other” card?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

We all have our favorite players an our favorite cards from the stuff that seemingly everybody collects — or at least stuff everyone is familiar with — from the Big Four sports.

For the upcoming “Others Issue” of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, though, we want to hear about your cherished cards from the sports that aren’t baseball, football, basketball or hockey — or at least not the typical stuff from those sports.

Better yet, we want you to show us your favorites — as long as they aren’t the norm — show us and tell us about your favorite card or set in the comments below.

I’ve got plenty of cards in my own collection that I find interesting for varying reasons. One small niche that I add to from time to time is my stash of Japanese baseball cards — cards made for Nippon Professional Baseball and released in Japan. I have an album tucked away somewhere among the items in my fan cave that is full of singles picked up through the years just because they stood out as different or unique to me. Why? Just for fun. One of them is a 2000 Upper Deck Ovation Japan card of Ichiro Suzuki (above) that I pulled from a pack. Why? It seemed like something that was unique and interesting for the price — and it pre-dates his 2001 MLB Rookie Cards.

Tell us about your favorite “other” cards below and we’ll show some of the more-interesting ones in the next issue.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. J.R. Lebert
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 03:24 PM | Permalink

Funny, I wouldn’t have considered that Ichiro card, considering it was released by Upper Deck and is a baseball only set, but it would definitely be in my top 10 “other” cards in my collection.

Definitely my favorite “other” card:

2013 Panini Golden Age Mini Black Rod Serling 1/1

I am a HUGE Twilight Zone fan, and I had this graded by BGS, where it came back a 9.5! Couldn’t be happier, especially for a black-bordered mini card!

2. chrisolds
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 03:42 PM | Permalink

J.R.: It’s not your typical set in that it’s from Japan. I stretched the definition of other to perhaps grab more attention for the post — a little baseball but baseball with a twist.

3. michael wheeler
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 03:59 PM | Permalink

Americana Is The one my wife and collect together! Its really cool cuz then she is more forgiving and willing when I want to buy my football etc boxes lol #collect I’ll post a pic of some after work

4. Jason
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 04:53 PM | Permalink

Maybe not odd or “other” cards but I have been told by dealers at shows that I am the only person they have heard of who collect real life cards from the move The Natural.
    The characters and/or different scenes from the movie are influenced by Ted Williams, Pete Reiser, Eddie Waitkus and Carvel “Bama” Rowell.
    Great movie and I guess an odd collection.

5. Vaughn Lamore
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 05:13 PM | Permalink

My incomplete insert set released by Dynamic Australia in 1996. Randomly inserted in 1996 Dynamic Blitz Tennis trading cards packs. 5 card set “Rated Number 1” Acetate make up the set: Boris Becker, Jim courier, Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi. I like these for there uniqueness and limited market attainability as they were printed in Australia and was the main appeal for me as well as I’m still trying to acquire one more elusive card to complete my tennis card set .
    Tennis sets in the 90’s was rare in terms of production as very few were produced until Ace Authentic came along later.

6. Paul K
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 05:36 PM | Permalink

I have a stash of Mark & Steve Waugh cards from Australian Cricket that I think are so unique and of course remind me of a visit to Australia.

The Night Ranger card and Sumo wrestler cards I have would be second mention.

7. Ben
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 06:10 PM | Permalink

the first card of mine that came to mind for “other” is that of former mlb pitcher Mark Hendrickson’s ’96 Scoreboard basketball card. I love cards of athletes from a sport other than their career but only have that one.

8. Ron J.
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 09:18 PM | Permalink

My favorite other is a Stan Musial Autograph card from 2004 Studio. It is Studio Heritage with game worn jersey and is numbered 3/5.

9. Jason
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 09:59 PM | Permalink

Mark Hendrickson has several basketball cards. There is a pacific draft picks and a hoops rookie.

10. Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 10:52 PM | Permalink

In the 2009 Topps Heritage set there is the American Heroism relic set, my favorite cards are from this set. I have three relic cards from World War One; Signal Flag, WWI Engineer Uniform and Machine Gunner Blanket. Connecting to such a major historical event through a card is just amazing.

After those I would also say my 2008 Donruss Americana James Cagney costume swatch, he is one of my favorite actors so pulling this card from a pack was a huge thrill for me.

11. Mike Pereira
    Posted Wednesday January 15th, 2014 at 11:19 PM | Permalink

I find that I like Presidential cards my favorite is a Ron Paul card that I had him sign and of course I got some old 80’s Hulk Hogan and Macho Man cards. Would like to see some more sets with just good known people that sign. I don’t buy those american past time sets because I don’t want a Donny Osmond auto but I do want an Ozzy Osbourne auto. Those products have too many people I don’t want auto or anything from.

12. Jay
    Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 08:35 AM | Permalink

2008 Upper Deck Icons Jeremy Piven letter autograph. I’ve been told for almost 15 years now I look like him, so when I had a chance to grab an autograph of his, I was excited when it was in baseball card form!

13. Mark
    Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 09:36 AM | Permalink

Take your pick of many NASCAR cards from the mid-90’s that show off the rockin’ ‘stache that a young Jeff Gordon had!

Actually, you could probably do an entire article on some of the NASCAR sets Wheels did in the mid-90’s. Race Sharks! Knight Quest! Viper! Crown Jewels! And the best of all-Jurassic Park!!!!

14. Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

I see we are talking about “other sports,” however I hope I can share my favorite “other” card which happens to be a non-sports card. It’s a 1956 vintage Davy Crockett #20A (green) “Ambush/Ambush” version corrected error card. There is a lot of confusion over this card and which is more rare: the original error or the corrected error. I happen to have a favorite sports card, a Roberto Clemente rookie card from 1955, so I am partial to cards produced from these two years that share the same layout and size . Their size and design are classic. I have had the pleasure of handling one of these Crockett cards that was in excellent condition, ungraded, and I fetched a nice sum for a customer of mine. It was difficult to sell, because I wanted it for my own collection, of course!

15. Jonathan Lynch
    Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Huge soccer fan, when I was a kid my grandma used to bring me round a pack a week of either the Panini Stickers or Topps Match Attax from that EPL year. Been trying to find my old collections for a while, I think my mum must have thrown them out…I do still have some 2007/08 Topps Match Attax cards, the inserts are actually really cool looking. The Cristiano Ronaldo ‘Man of the Match’ card is probably the one that stands out for me.

16. rick
    Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

1987 World Of Outlaws Jeff Gordon BGS 9.5 and 9.

17. Posted Thursday January 16th, 2014 at 02:19 PM | Permalink

While I have a number of “other” cards, my favorites are baseball related in a way. I have a graded 1933-34 Sky Birds #23 Baron Von Richthofen otherwise known as “The Red Baron”. The Peanuts cartoons had always been a favorite of mine, especially the ones that centered around the futility of Charlie Brown’s baseball team starring a daydreaming shortstop, Snoopy, who’s mortal enemy was…. The Red Baron. I also have a couple of 2008 Donruss Americana II dual memorabilia card of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Other than that I also like my Nancy Kerrigan/ Tonya Harding Dual auto from Leaf Pop Century. I think it’s hilarious that they paired them up on the same card when you know they would never be seen together in real life.

18. Alex
    Posted Friday January 17th, 2014 at 01:12 AM | Permalink

I would have to go with my 1998 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Press Pass Signings autograph card…

1. I actually pulled this out of a box of VIP Racing.

2. It is his first packed pull autograph.

3. It is his ONLY autograph card with his FULL signature, not the “Dale Jr.” that you see nowadays.

19. David Bachman
    Posted Friday January 17th, 2014 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

I would have to say my Press Pass FanFare Racing Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Rookie Redemption Auto #’d 10/25, first redemption I ever had, and that I will cherish for a long time to come!

20. Nick Mikulicich Jr.
    Posted Friday January 17th, 2014 at 02:34 PM | Permalink

1970 Panini World Cup sticker of Pele.

21. Richard Hogenson
    Posted Saturday January 18th, 2014 at 03:05 PM | Permalink

Ryan Dirteater PBR Autograph card. He is a member of the Cherokee Nation like me.

22. Kevin St. J
    Posted Saturday January 18th, 2014 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

1989 Takara Cecil Fielder.
    Before Ichiro and Nomo and others that starred in Japan, Cecil Fielder went to Japan and had a big season before making a Major League impact in the United States. Although Cecil has MLB rookie cards before this Japanese card, it’s one of a few that were made while he played in Japan. This particular card came in a boxed team set.

23. Ron
    Posted Sunday January 19th, 2014 at 11:04 PM | Permalink

Some of my favorite “other” cards are 1- 2012 Panni Americana Heroes and Legends Ernie Richardson Tuskegee Airmen materials 2-2001 Topps American Pie Berlin Wall Memorabillia 3-2009 Donruss American II Telly Savals/Ernest Borgnine Co-Stars Materials 4-2009 Donruss Americana Joan Crawford/Greta Garbo Movie Poster Memorabillia 5-2008 Donruss Americana sports legends Richard Petty blue jeans 6-2010 Razor Annie Duke Pop Century Signatures Preview 7-1999 Skybox Star Trek Season 7 Lee Arensberg as Daimon Bok autograph 8-2002-03 Upper Deck UD Superstars Legendary Leaders Triple Jersey David Beckham/Kobe Bryant/Ichiro 9-2007 Topps Santa Claus Set with an autograph card ans a Santa suit card and lastly my favorite “other” is the 2008 Upper Deck Piece Of History Christopher Reeve piece of Superman’s cape.

24. Posted Monday January 20th, 2014 at 11:11 PM | Permalink

2010 Topps The Empire Strikes Back 3D Trading Cards. Take superwide film, combine that with a super-wide card and then do it all in 3D. Oh, and make it Star Wars. One of the best card set ever. The great vastness of the landscape is best captured in card #1 with the probe droid on the vast snowy plains of Planet Hoth.

25. Kevin St. J
    Posted Thursday January 23rd, 2014 at 01:49 AM | Permalink

Here’s another one of my favorite “other” cards:

1998 Topps WCW/nWo Authentic Signatures Hollywood Hogan.

Besides being a wrestling and pop culture icon, the reason it’s one of my favorites is because it highlights his unexpected heel turn to nWo at the time. An added bonus for my particular card is that he just signed it “Wood” and stayed true to the bad guy character by not signing his full name.