Your Turn (BSCM Rookies Issue): If you could own one perfect BGS/BVG 10 Rookie Card, what would it be?

BVGrickey

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

There’s been one card firmly on my collecting radar of late — and it’s a Rookie Card that I have gone on record a few times as being a perfect card.

And yet I — and many others — can’t find a perfect copy.

There have been 3,959 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RCs go through Beckett Grading Services through the years and there’s not been a single BVG 10 on the pop reportBeyond that, just seven have made a 9.5 slab. (I’m down in the 8.5 and lower territory, myself.)

Sadly, none of the four I’ve picked up raw in the last month or so will make that cut, either, but that’s life and it got me thinking that my present obsession with this card may make for a perfect Your Turn page in the upcoming Rookies Issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly.

We have a simple question for you, and we’ll run a selection of the best answers in the upcoming issue as long as you leave your name and location in the comments below.

If you could own just one perfect BGS/BVG 10 Rookie Card (any sport), what would it be?

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. Jason
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:00 PM | Permalink

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan.

2. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:00 PM | Permalink

1990 Marvel Universe Series 1 Spider-Man card #29

3. kris
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:04 PM | Permalink

probably michael jordan rc

4. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:08 PM | Permalink

1979-80 OPC Wayne Gretzky

5. Kyle Beckworth
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:10 PM | Permalink

1948 Stan Musial.

6. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:10 PM | Permalink

Its a toss up my top three are a 1952 mantle.Pete Rose.Bo Jackson.

7. Geoffrey Rotunda
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:10 PM | Permalink

Hank Aaron or Jackie Robinson

8. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:11 PM | Permalink

Michael Jordan Gem Mint 10

-Dayton, Ohio

9. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:12 PM | Permalink

Tough one…

Like Jason I was thinking a ’68 Nolan Ryan would be cool just because of what the card means as a collector.

I think I would ultimately go for a 1975 Goergoe Brett. As a kid and even now that card still personfies what a great baseball card should be.

A ’71 Mean Joe Greene would be a close second.

10. Nate
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:13 PM | Permalink

I would love to own a 1984-85 Star John Stockton XRC..forget Jordan, I’m a Utah boy!
    Nathan Goleman- Salt Lake City, Utah

11. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:13 PM | Permalink

1986 Michael Jordan RC (Fleer) or 1979 Wayne Gretzky RC (O-Pee-Chee)

12. Chris Mellard
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:14 PM | Permalink

A 2005 Topps Chrome FB Aaron Rodgers RC Auto Xfractor

13. Derek Frank
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:15 PM | Permalink

1955 Topps Jackie Robinson

14. Kanyon
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:18 PM | Permalink

I would want a 1975 George Brett Rookie Card! Hall of Famer and is from my Home State.

15. Michael
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:21 PM | Permalink

It’s not the most valuable, but he’s my favorite player. I would take either the Regular or Mini version of 1975 Topps George Brett. I saw him in Chicago and was hoping he’s hit a home run. My dad tells his 13 year old son that he isn’t a power hitter. George proceeds to hit two out that day (Aug 26, 1986)

16. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:26 PM | Permalink

If I had to choose just one Perfect 10 rookie card, it would be Harmon Killebrew’s for my Twins PC. Many names come to mind when thinking about the Twins; Carew, Oliva, Puckett, Hrbek, Mauer; but just one name in Twins history can mingle with great MLB names like Aaron, Jackson and Ruth. You don’t even have to be a Twins fan or collector to know of and respect The Killer. That’s why, above all else, his Perfect 10 rookie card would be a must-have for a Twins collector like myself.

Topher
    CrackinWax
    Twin Cities, MN

17. ryan wimmer
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:26 PM | Permalink

Mickey Mantle

18. Brandon
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:31 PM | Permalink

Michael jordan rookie Groinf up around Chicago during the time he played he was my favorite player and still is I would cherish that card for life if getting didn’t give me a heart attack and kill me first

19. brant parsons
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:38 PM | Permalink

I would be happy owning Rickey Henderson’s rookie card in any condition.

20. Steve S.
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:43 PM | Permalink

1968 Nolan Ryan or maybe Craig Biggio (Texas teams!)

21. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:44 PM | Permalink

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr.

22. Ron Atkinson
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:50 PM | Permalink

1951 Bowman Willie Mays–no question!

23. osvaldo
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:53 PM | Permalink

1955 topps #1964 roberto clemente

24. Larry Robidoux
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 02:59 PM | Permalink

With all the cards in my mind while reading this the 1 that keeps creeping back into my head is a 1955 Bowman. I already have a copy of this card but it is in really bad shape. I bought this card with a few others back in early 90’s. The other cards were part of the small batch of cards I could call the Best cards in my collection. Aaron/Larsen were a couple of the names in this batch. While living in Florida I moved into a nice place on the beachside of Daytona Beach and had all my cards in the garage until I could move everything in. One day while I was going thru these cards I noticed something wrong and took a closer look and with a tear in my eye I saw that they had gotten wet from the roof leaking right above them in the garage. I still have the card and it is still my favorite card but I would love to have a BGS Pristine 10 Willie Mays to set next to my old/beat up/previously wet 1955 Bowman Willie Mays

25. Erik
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:00 PM | Permalink

Of course the 52 Mantle $ wise. But personally it’d be awesome to own the one and only ’81 Joe Montana BGS 10.

26. Larry Robidoux
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:03 PM | Permalink

OK so that was my fault and sorry for not making it a rookie card. But I still want that card..

27. Brent Legendre
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:07 PM | Permalink

My dream bgs 10 card would be the 72 Topps Roger Staubach. My favorite Cowboy of all time.

28. Ted Strange
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:09 PM | Permalink

1968 Koosman/Ryan RC

29. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:12 PM | Permalink

1954 Topps Hank Aaron – To me, Hammerin’ Hank will always be the Homerun King as well as a huge part of Wisconsin baseball lore.

30. Bryon
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:18 PM | Permalink

2004-05 Exquisite Luol Deng or 1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg

31. chrisolds
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:23 PM | Permalink

Pick one! Haha.

32. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:30 PM | Permalink

Truthfully, an Indians player. Specifically, though, I would say Larry Doby, Nap Lajoie, or Bob Feller. Actually, of those three, I’d say Doby for the historical significance. So, Doby for the win.

33. Lucas
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:40 PM | Permalink

2001 Bowman Draft Chase Utley
    Is, and always will be, my favorite player

34. Ross Owen
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 03:46 PM | Permalink

Sidney Crosby! no doubt

35. Mark Beckwith from Sacramento, CA
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:00 PM | Permalink

Without a doubt 1000% my holy grail and the one card I would absolutely love to have the only pristine copy of would be the 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie card. Hands down the greatest quarterback of my youth and I grew up in the Bay Area to boot.

36. rick
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:03 PM | Permalink

So easy! 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle

37. Robert
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:04 PM | Permalink

I have to go with a 1957 Topps Bart Starr rookie card. The Packers were lousy as I grew up in the ’80s, so I occupied my time reading about the exploits of Starr and the Packers of the ’60s.

38. steve emerick
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:10 PM | Permalink

54 aaron or 55 clemente

39. Matt
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:21 PM | Permalink

It’s probably not fair to say Mantle’s RC because then I could sell it any buy anything I wanted, so I’ll go with Harmon Killebrew’s RC

40. John Reichard
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:25 PM | Permalink

As a Wade Boggs super collector it would have to be his 1983 Topps rookie card.

41. Kris Traynor / Alberta,Canada
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:28 PM | Permalink

A 1909 Honus Wagner

42. wheeler281
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:44 PM | Permalink

The Lynn Swann 75 topps rookie.. Being a Steeler fan that is just an iconic card for me. I started getting into collecting around that age(5) and that was a must have and still is for any Steeler fan regardless of grade or age of fan

43. Toby
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:45 PM | Permalink

1951 Bowman Willie Mays. It is the best card of the best baseball player ever! Just ask Mr. Mays, he’ll tell you it’s true.

44. David Johnson
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:51 PM | Permalink

I would love a 1975 Topps Gary Carter rookie in Pristine 10. There hasn’t even been a 9.5 yet, so to see a 10 would be phenomenal. I have seen a PSA10 version of the card, but I’m not convinced it would translate over to a BGS 9.5 let alone a 10.

45. Doug
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 04:56 PM | Permalink

1958 Topps Roger Maris (the real home run king)

Doug P.
    Seattle, WA.

46. kstjst
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:06 PM | Permalink

t-206 honus wagner…but reality wise…1985 topps mcgwire (don’t care about peds)

47. Chris Schulte
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:15 PM | Permalink

I would definitely want the 1989 Bowman Tiffany of Ken Griffey Jr. So hard to find it centered!

48. Tim
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:26 PM | Permalink

1955 Topps Roberto Clemente rookie. As a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, my Dad always told me how good Clemente was and that he wished I could see him play in person. When I see his highlights, I agree with my Dad, Clemente was a special player and an even greater person off of it. I have the card, but graded MUCH lower than a 10.

49. Camero
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:30 PM | Permalink

A 1952 topps Mickey Mantle. Would be the highlight of my Pc

50. Paul
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:31 PM | Permalink

Two rookie cards – Rickey Henderson and Roberto Clemente

51. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:41 PM | Permalink

1954 Topps Ernie Banks. As a Cubs fan, can there be any other than Mr. Cub?

52. Tracy
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 05:43 PM | Permalink

I would have to say an 88 Fleer Reggie Miller. With over 650 different Millers, I have yet to see a BGS RC grade so high. I have seen a PSA, but feel they don’t look at the centering as harshly as BGS, and that problem hit that set HARD! I have looked into getting a PSA 9 and polling the dice with BGS and possibly getting at least a 9.5.

53. Charles Burrell
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 06:27 PM | Permalink

I could say a Mickey Mantle or a Lou Gehrig but I know I will never have one of there cards.

I have been collecting Pat Burrell cards since I saw a box of Salvinos Bammers (in 1999 I think) that could possibly contain a Pat Burrell Bammer Bear. I bought all the boxes and ended up with a few Burrells. Since we had the same last name I thought it would be really cool.

Since then I have amassed between 4 and 5 thousand Pat Burrell cards. A true player collector. I have autographs, jerseys, bats, 1 of 1’s, etc.

The one thing I don’t have is a Pat Burrell BGS Pristine 10 Rookie card. I have a few 9.5’s but no 10’s.

Still collecting Pat and probably will for the rest of my life!

Thanks

54. Doug C
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 06:52 PM | Permalink

1966-67 Topps Bobby Orr, no doubt about it!

55. Cory Furlong
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:03 PM | Permalink

BGS 10 Rookie Card I would most like is 1982 Red Lobster Ryne Sandberg. It is Rynos first Chicago Cub card and predates his Topps, Donruss and Fleer rookie cards.

56. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:07 PM | Permalink

It has to be 1975 Topps George Brett. Happy to have either the regular or the mini, but since we have to pick one, I’ll go with the mini.

57. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:10 PM | Permalink

Being a true baseball fanatic, it would be easy to say a Mantle, Aaron, or Clemente. But if i had to pick one purely out of love of the player and desire for the card, i would have to say a 1985-86 OPC Mario Lemieux RC. The OPC cards are next to impossible to find without rough edges, and i will go toe to toe with anyone who wants to argue that Super Mario was not the greatest player in NHL history!

58. Ed Brown
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:17 PM | Permalink

I am a hockey fan and my choice would be The Great One! Wayne Gretzky…….1979/80 Topps or OPC……would be amazing!

59. Richard
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:18 PM | Permalink

Hmm. Mine. Showing me signing a contract ala Ted Williams for big bucks.
    Much as I like collecting cards, I’d rather have the skills to actually Play the game.
    Then I could take whatever I earned and by a bit of everything.

60. Michael Lukehart
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:49 PM | Permalink

I would hose John Elway RC. I always loved seeing him make that comeback in the last 2 minutes.

61. Randall
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 07:56 PM | Permalink

1961 Topps Ron Santo. Not the most expensive card in the world, but worth the most to me.

62. kris
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 08:11 PM | Permalink

nick swisher

63. Steve
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 08:42 PM | Permalink

1996-97 Black Diamond Joe Thornton RC. It’d be the White Whale for my collection

64. Doug N
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 09:01 PM | Permalink

Derek Jeter 1993 SP. I’ve submitted probably 10 of these things and have 2 high grade 9s and a bunch of 8.5s in return, but no gem or pristine. This is the only Jeter rookie that I don’t have in a 9.5.

65. Bruce Katto
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 09:14 PM | Permalink

For this long time (since I was 7 in 1970) Football and Baseball Card collector it’s an easy question to answer. The Card that has eluded my collecting budget my whole life….1965 Topps Joe Namath. One day I tell you…one day.

66. Chris Levy
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 09:29 PM | Permalink

I’d just like to point out that almost none of these card would receive a BGS 10; they’d receive a BVG 10.

67. Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 09:38 PM | Permalink

My would be a Reggie Jackson card, but I’m not sure “how many do I want?”

68. Michael Rukavina
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 09:40 PM | Permalink

It would have to be a Pristine 1981 Joe Montana. A living legend. Baseball would be a Mays RC for old and Trout Auto gold ref Grade 10/10.

69. Caleb Marx
    Posted Tuesday August 13th, 2013 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

its obviosley the 1909-1911 t206 honus wagner. that would be worth like $100 million plus!

70. Vaughn Lamore
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 12:23 AM | Permalink

Its the Topps 1963 Pete Rose Rookie is my all time want and desire bar none! One of the TOP players to ever grace the game yet ohhh how the mighty have fallen from the pedestal and the tragic story to follow from having everything to nearly losing it all and still to this day he’s on the outside looking in alll on account of an addiction sad to see where he once stood only to be banned for good!

P.S. I don’t mind if this is publised to Beckett’s website however if were to show up in a Google search with my name attached then I rather it didn’t get published. The NSA and other government entities don’t need to know what I”m doing! THankyou, _____V.

71. Scott
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 08:05 AM | Permalink

no question… a 1955 Topps All-American Jim Thorpe.

72. Donald
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 08:17 AM | Permalink

1967 Tom Seaver RC

73. Maleek
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 08:32 AM | Permalink

03-04 Exquisite Lebron /23 BGS 10

74. Joe
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Ken Stabler RC

75. Wes Wheeler
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

I would have to say a 1993 SP Derek Jeter

76. Nathan Crandell
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

I am not a basketball card fan, but I salivate whenever I see a Michael Jordan XRC Fleer. I also get almost equally excited every time I see a Hank Aaron RC.

But if I was faced with a decision between the two, I would have to say a Michael Jordan RC at a perfect 10 would be my choice.

77. Chris

Eddie Murray 1978 Topps #36 or 1980 Topps Magic/Bird/Erving

81. dgraef31
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 03:08 PM | Permalink

ty cobb

82. Nick Mikulicich
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 03:11 PM | Permalink

BGS 10 (as opposed to BVG 10) has to be post-1980, so I’ll join the others who pick ’86 Fleer Michael Jordan.

83. Michael Paris
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 03:15 PM | Permalink

Mickey Mantle rookie for sure, especially since I have a PC of him.

84. Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 03:41 PM | Permalink

1993 Derek Jeter SP Foil would be my first choice (And I’m a diehard Red Sox fan). 1985 Topps Mark McGwire USA card would be my second choice.

85. David Panopoulos
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 03:43 PM | Permalink

Dream card would be a 1985-86 OPC Mario Lemieux rookie card! Would help with my ultimate collection! My current Mario would probably score 2.

86. Andrew McKay
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 04:26 PM | Permalink

I would love to have a Rocket Richard.

87. coffeyfan
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 05:38 PM | Permalink

The question still stands,do you collect for love or money? I personally would go for a 2002 Topps Total Todd Coffey, not for any value but for the love of the player. I still would enjoy having a BGS 10 ’52 Topps Mickey Mantle the same as everyone else but am happy collecting my favorite nobody.

88. Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 06:45 PM | Permalink

Michael Jordan rookie card or King James exq

89. Kevin
    Posted Wednesday August 14th, 2013 at 09:19 PM | Permalink

EASY!!! 1976 Topps Football Card #148: Walter “Sweetness” Payton

90. J.R.
    Posted Thursday August 15th, 2013 at 01:20 AM | Permalink

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry, the holy grail for a HUGE fan of the 1986 Mets!

91. Phil Regetta
    Posted Thursday August 15th, 2013 at 06:22 AM | Permalink

1952 Dick Groat #369…..BOOM!

92. Cammy
    Posted Thursday August 15th, 2013 at 07:47 AM | Permalink

i would want a opc Wayne Gretzky RC

93. JJ Hernandez
    Posted Thursday August 15th, 2013 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

A Roberto Clemente ROOKIE CARD

94. Dan
    Posted Friday August 16th, 2013 at 10:24 AM | Permalink

1978 Topps Rookie Shortstops (Molitor/Trammell)

95. Posted Saturday August 17th, 2013 at 06:41 AM | Permalink

2003-04 Topps chrome LeBron James gold rookie refractor.

96. Posted Sunday August 18th, 2013 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

1983 Topps Ryne Sandberg
    for my twin brother.

97. Richard hogenson
    Posted Tuesday August 20th, 2013 at 09:34 AM | Permalink

1984 fleer update Kirby Puckett.

98. Robert Braxton
    Posted Wednesday August 21st, 2013 at 08:11 PM | Permalink

1978 Eddie Murray, ……… because ……….
    by 1985, I had bought my first Beckett (pocket guide) and low -and-behold, I already owned this card worth DOUBLE DIGITS, …. $13.00 WHOLE dollars.

I don’t have it anymore, no doubt it had rounded corners, but I surely don’t remember.
    I did however, restart my collection back in 2008 with this very card, this time I bought it in what eventually would be graded BVG 9.
    My favorite (and ever looking to get the next higher-grade version of it.)

Robert Braxton
    Plano, TX

99. Yankees4671
    Posted Thursday August 22nd, 2013 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

For me, it would the the ’63 Pete Rose.

Rickey loves Rickey. Pete loves Pete. We know Barry loves Barry. (Should be Hank but what can you do.)
    I think Nolan loves Nolan but he does not show it.

Most All-Time leaders did it clean (except Barry) & they should love themselves & their accomplishments.

Nice suprise to see so many George Brett rookies in the responses.

100. Steve
    Posted Monday August 26th, 2013 at 03:46 PM | Permalink

I owned a 2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady BGS 10 and had to sell it a few years ago. I’d love to get one back someday. I also like the BVG 10 1966 Bobby Orr that pops up for sale from time to time. If I had to pick just one, I guess I would go with a 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams, or a 1915 Sporting News Babe Ruth (obviously, I’m a Boston fan).