Weekend Wonder: cardboard as a canvas

By Andrew Tolentino | Editor

This week’s Weekend Wonder is an invitation to explore cardboard as a canvas.

Earlier this week, artist Monty Sheldon gave his fans a glimpse of the creative process he used to execute his work for 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen. Sheldon — among other great sports artists — offer another layer to collecting.

Lending their unique styles and strokes to card sets, legends like Dick Perez (whose work is featured above) commemorate players beyond purchased photography and digital enhancements. Their handmade creations redefine one-of-kind.

In the forthcoming issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, we’ll be taking an in-depth look at art-driven cards and we’d like to kick start our creative process with some of your thoughts. If you have a moment this weekend, please feel free to comment here with your favorite art sets, cards, sports artists and — most importantly — why you’re a fan.

Also, just as a bonus prompt — from which famous artist(s) (dead or alive) would you like to see a cardboard creation?

1. Posted April 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I’ll answer the last question first… BOB ROSS. The artist known for “happy little trees”. The PBS legend. How awesome would cards of stadiums or arenas be done in the style of Bob Ross?

I would like to submit 1951 Bowman and 1953 Topps as my two favorite art driven sets. By far the nicest sets of their eras, and some pretty important cards in there too…

2. theheadyman
    Posted April 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

The best art sets are gypsy queen from the 1880’s and the Turkey red/sporting life cabinet cards. just awesome artwork that is gallery worthy.

3. Posted April 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I’ve been a fan of Dick Perez’s Diamond Kings since I started collecting. I’m not terribly familiar with the art of the ’50s-and-earlier sets. I am probably one of the few who really liked the National Chicle art.

As for who I’d like to see make a card, how about Andy Warhol? I wonder what he could do to a baseball card. He wouldn’t be allowed to make those four-color prints – that’s too easy.

4. Chadwick Haverland
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Being a sports artist myself, I’ve grown up collecting “art cards” or cards featuring artists creations and those cards were a major influence on me and going in the direction i have w/ my work. Some of my favorites from past to present were “Donruss Diamond Kings” ,”Sport Kings” & “Gridiron Kings”…most recently I really liked Upperdeck’s “Masterpieces” also…

One of the artists that really sticks out & would like to continue to see on sports cards would be Ron Stark. without a doubt one of the best. Gotta be honest tho…would really like to see some of my own work on cards one day also lol

5. Matt Johnsony
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 6:39 am | Permalink

I like the work of Chris Felix. He did work on the 2010 Topps Chicle set and is a very gifted artist.

6. Benjamin Andrew Pfiester
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

How about a Salvador Dali? Melting baseballs, & upside down stadiums would be different.

7. Dan
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

One of the most unique sets in this vein was the 1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max insert set for baseball and football. Max is a great contemporary postmodern artist (and friend of Warhol) and there has been nothing like it before or since.

8. kris burak
    Posted April 10, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Luis Royo

9. robert
    Posted April 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

i got so many 80z and 90z baseball and football and basketball cards wat should i do wit them

10. Ryan Holland
    Posted April 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

I have always been a fan of the Norman Rockwell baseball pieces, would love to see his artwork on a modern card.

11. David Johnson
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

My favorite artist that has done cards is Luis Diaz. Some of his Topps Sketch cards are so vibrantly colorful. You can see some of his work that he has done for Topps at the following link.

12. Chris H
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Donruss’ Diamond Kings and Fleer’s Pro-Visions were always favorites of mine when I was a kid. Even when the short lived Triple Play set was out I loved the Gallery of Stars insert. As for an artist who I’d love to see do card art, I’m a huge fan of Genndy Tartakovsky. The artist for Samurai Jack, Dexter’s Lab and Star Wars: Clone Wars. I think it would be interesting to see his art style put into sports cards.