Upper Deck cancels three 2012-13 hockey products

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor

Upper Deck canceled three of its 2012-13 hockey products in the wake of the NHL Players Association’s decision to restrict Rookie Cards this season, the company announced today.

UD has taken SPx, Upper Deck Series 2 and Ultimate Collection off the schedule.

However, collectors will still be able to get cards from these products in upcoming releases. Upper Deck hockey officials had already been working on upcoming products and don’t want the cards to go to waste.

Some cards that would have appeared in SPx and Series 2 will now be in 2012-13 SP Authentic, scheduled to be released in June.

There is still no word on what Upper Deck plans to do with redemptions from Series 1 and Artifacts.

“We will be sharing details on what collectors can expect for those cards and when we will be able to deliver them to the market soon. We appreciate collector’s patience while we work to acquire approvals for the company’s plans on those programs with league partners,” UD wrote on its blog.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Hockey. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook.

1. RJ
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 06:09 PM | Permalink

So does that mean the “late” rookies will have cards this year after all? Yakupov, etc?

2. Susan Lulgjuraj
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 06:57 PM | Permalink

No. Any rookies that made their debut this season will not be on cards until next year. Only guys like Kreider, Baertschi and Schwartz – guys who debuted last season between All-Star Game and end of 2012 Stanley Cup Finals – will have Rookie Cards this season.

3. Nick
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 08:26 AM | Permalink

Disappointed to hear about Series 2. Even without the rookies, they only issued half the veterans in S1. I’d still have purchased S2 with just the veterans and some standard inserts, but I understand that’s not the prevalent opinion of the hobby. Unfortunately it sounds like I’ll have to buy boxes of SP Authentic to put together my regular Upper Deck set this year, or wait for someone to offer S2 in its entirety on eBay.

4. David Brown
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 02:39 PM | Permalink

Well it looks like spx would have been special this year . I would love to pull that Kreider or the Bartschi. Next November seems so far away. At least if should give me a chance to finish my ud canvas and titanium rookies sets(well most of them anyway)

5. Dan C.
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 05:14 PM | Permalink

Dang NHLPA….As a Blues fan I’d love to get my hands on some Vladimir Tarasenko cards right now. Looks like I’ll have to wait half a year for cards with him in a Blues uniform.

6. Kyle B
    Posted Sunday May 5th, 2013 at 02:15 PM | Permalink

Upper Deck should have made Series 2, it is the base set for collectors. Young Guns is a better rookie set than SPX. The canvas cards were a better insert set than the auto and jersey cards of 1 game wonders that I have gotten out of SPX the last couple years.
    Baertschi and Schwartz were in series 1, they would not have been in series 2. I just hope those redemption cards are worth something from series 1 and artifacts, or I won’t be buying anymore Upper Deck, period.