Topps unveils Ginter artifacts

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

For the select few collectors who found artifacts of a different kind in their boxes of 2012 Allen & Ginter baseball cards, today is your day.

The mystery of the Ginter Artifacts cards is no more.

On Friday, Topps detailed exactly what the “unusual artifact[s] from the past” are for the N43 redemptions.

They are:

Card No. 1 – Carcharodon Megalodon tooth (10 million years old)
Card No. 2 – Bronze coin (Roman Empire)
Card No. 3 – Cleoniceras Species fossil (120 million years old)
Card No. 4 – Native American stone point (500 – 9,000 years old)
Card No. 5 – Neolithic stone point (3,000 to 8,000 years old)

1. Posted August 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Not sure I would have been happy about this, have I had one of these redemptions. They’ve been selling $500-$1000 and all of these items can be had in non-card form for well under $50. The mystery has been revealed and it’s a big $500 hole in your account!

2. ddizzal
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

wow, no pictures though?

3. Josiah Cecil
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Weird!!!

4. mike
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Ditto……..NOT worth the hype!

5. Lou
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Yet another Topps disappointment

6. Bill Donnely
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I don’t know why people blame the card company, if you dish out a grand site unseen you are a moron.

7. Scott
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Seems like all the investor types are mad…Good. They collect for the wrong reasons anyway. A&G always has cards out of left field. If folks aren’t smart enough to know that then they shouldn’t whine like babies when there REDEMPTION is one of these cards which I think are pretty cool. If the investors don’r want those, I’ll take them.

8. Steve
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Seems to me the point is not “of these items can be had in non-card form for well under $50”.
    Rather that depending on the print run, these are a very rare corner-stone to this popular set.

I can make a baseball card myself, even get a player to sign it, but it would be worthless vs a 1/1 Topps Pujols auto’d card.

9. Kory Kasler
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

You really can’t blame Topps on this one. Topps made no guarantee on value, and I never would have dropped anywhere near the hundreds and thousands of dollars on these without any clue about what I was getting. Someone just lost out on a $1000 lottery ticket.

10. Kevin
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I think that list looks pretty cool. This cards aren’t my thing but cool none the less.

11. mike
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Cool – I agree – but not at $1000…..not even at $200!

12. Eric
    Posted September 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Personally, I think these are incredibly cool, regardless of collector value. A megalodon tooth? A coin from the Roman empire? These things are historically fascinating and certainly more interesting than yet another printing gimmick like those absurd Bowman refractors, x-fractors, etc.

Allen and Ginter brought this collector back into card collecting after a 25 year absence. It’s this sort of thing that makes Allen and Ginter the best thing to happen to card collecting since they took the gum out of the packs.