Topps confirms Russell Johnson autograph redemptions will be fulfilled

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

The actor who played The Professor on Gilligan’s Island died last week.

Russell Johnson was 89.

Many people who bought 2013 Topps 75th Anniversary packs may have pulled a redemption for an autograph of Johnson.

Topps confirmed to Beckett Media that Johnson signed the autographs before he died.

Johnson appeared on a number of other card sets over the years with autographs such as 2007 Americana Private Signings, 2012 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures and 2012 Press Pass Platinum Cuts.

Along with Gilligan’s Island, Johnson was known for starring in many sci-fi cult favorites such as It Came from Outer Space.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor at Beckett Media. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Melvin Hauf
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

I submitted a redemption card for the Russell Johnson auto and I got a Sandy Kofax auto instead.

2. Jason K
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 02:54 PM | Permalink

Melvin, sounds like you got the better end of that deal.

3. Bill
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 05:02 PM | Permalink

Melvin is lying to. No way Topps would replace a redemption 1 month from the release date. I still have redemptions from 2 years ago that I have recived nothing for. Just like they did on American Pie for Bret Michaels auto or Jimmy Hendrix memorabilia they only sent Dwight Gooden or Don Sutten. So why would Topps send out a $300 Kofax for a $10 Russel Johnson. They wouldn’t.

4. RJ
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 05:44 PM | Permalink

Different sport, but I pulled a Dean Meminger (Knicks) auto out of a pack of Prizm last week, even though he died in August. It was kind of weird.

5. Susan Lulgjuraj
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 08:33 PM | Permalink

I got a Gary Carter auto of Topps baseball in 2013. He was also dead by that point. That’s what sticker autos can do.

6. Matt Traylor
    Posted Tuesday January 21st, 2014 at 08:37 PM | Permalink

I got a Gary Carter sticker auto for my Bret Michaels Relic/Auto redemption…fighting to get it replaced with something worth it. That redemption was selling for north of $100 at product’s release!

7. Posted Wednesday January 22nd, 2014 at 09:44 AM | Permalink

Russell Johnson was a very well known autograph signer, his family said he was still signing autographs as recently as over this past Christmas holiday. I am kind of surprised that he has a redemption card because of how often he signed.

8. Joe Stanley
    Posted Wednesday June 25th, 2014 at 07:30 PM | Permalink

Has Topps ever gave a reason of why it takes so long to get the redemptions back when they stated
    they have the autographs? It’s going on a year now… Anybody know the answer?

9. DIANE DAL PORTO
    Posted Thursday August 21st, 2014 at 09:03 AM | Permalink

JUST READ YOUR COMMENT ON MELVIN HAUF…HE’S NOT LYING…TOPPS MADE A MISTAKE….WHEN I ENTERED MY RUSSELL NUMBER FOR REDEMPTION..IT SHOWED UP SANDY KOFAX…THEY SENT ME THE SANDY KOFAX CARD…AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE I KEPT IT!!!
    I HAD GOTTEN ANOTHER RUSSELL CARD WHICH I SENT IN..TOPPS FIXED THEIR COMPUTER ENTRY PROBLEM BY THEN & I AM STILL WAITING ON THAT CARD…
    I AM ALSO WAITING ON VAN JOHNSON…
    I THINK I MADE OUT OKAY….SO FAR…I WILL BE A LITTLE MORE PATIENT & SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE OTHER TWO CARDS…
    I HAVE CALLED TOPPS SEVERAL TIMES ON THESE CARDS AND THEY SAY THEY ARE IN PROCESSING…PERSONALLY I THINK THAT IS JUST AN EXCUSE..WE’LL HAVE TO WAIT & SEE