So, what are the 2012 Topps Heritage variations?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Hope you didn’t jettison some of those 2012 Topps Heritage commons just yet — as there are some tough-to-pull variations to be found inside those packs.

As previously reported here, there are 10 cards in the set that have intentional error-and-correction variations — some as a nod to the 1963 set. While Topps has not yet confirmed these cards, here is our list confirmed with the help of a few dealers around the country.

15 -- Darwin Barney, error has no position on the card front

15 — Darwin Barney, error has no position on the card front

29Brad Peacock, Devin Mesoraco, Justin De Fratus, Joe Savery; error says 1962 Rookie Stars

54John Gaub, Addison Reed, Adron Chambers, Dellin Betances; error says 1962 Rookie Stars

113 Kerry Wood, error shows Aramis Ramirez (in a Brewers jersey) in main photo

231 — Dan Haren, error shows Mark Trumbo in main photo

341 — Ryan Madson, error shows team name and position in black letters with a red line through secondary photo

341 — Ryan Madson, error shows team name and position in black letters with a white line through secondary photo

380 — Carlos Pena, error has “complete major and minor league batting record” on stats header on the back

454 — Julio Teheran, error lacks a white box around the card number on the back

483 — Mike Stanton, error has a W instead of R over the runs stats column on the back

We’ll have more on the color-swap and image-swap variations found in Heritage in the next issue of Beckett Baseball.

1. Posted Tuesday March 20th, 2012 at 03:04 PM | Permalink

Thanks Chris! Any idea on the insert ratio of the error cards?

2. chrisolds
    Posted Tuesday March 20th, 2012 at 03:06 PM | Permalink

Dealer I talked to pulled just five of these cards in 32 CASES of Heritage. Not easy pulls.

3. Posted Tuesday March 20th, 2012 at 03:31 PM | Permalink

Nice….I think I have the Carlos Pena error

4. Josh
    Posted Tuesday March 20th, 2012 at 05:50 PM | Permalink

Much more imaginative variations than the usual blue border, red border, etc.

5. tom waldron
    Posted Tuesday March 20th, 2012 at 08:31 PM | Permalink

Yawn!! Like last year it was positon errors names whatever I understand what it means to the purist out there or those looking to have master sets and all but really I tire of this format.
    Heritage should have more hits in it period. At the usual price point I wont buy with 1 hit but that doesn’t mean others shouldn’t. I remeber when products came out and nobody knew how short printed the product was ie Bowman 92. We the hobbiest ,collectors investers are at the mercy of 1 company less isn’t better.

6. don davis
    Posted Wednesday March 21st, 2012 at 08:44 AM | Permalink

I think it would be interesting how these errors ar found. Are they leaked from Topps what to look for to certain media? Or ar people looking with a magnifying glass each card? Like that W in Stantons card if it’s that scarce, how would you ever think to look for that. I’m not saying I dislike the variations, just want to know how they are found and who gets the credit for finding them. They must have eagle eyes.

7. Josh
    Posted Wednesday March 21st, 2012 at 08:59 PM | Permalink

Don, I’m pretty sure they’re errors by design, and by that I mean, they aren’t really errors. It’s just something different from the usual border color variations. So to answer your question, Topps knows how many of each card were printed.

8. steve-o
    Posted Thursday March 22nd, 2012 at 01:51 AM | Permalink

I find it funny & kinda makes a person think….how solvent a company is Topps…..when it knew it was making a “heritage quarter card” months ago……and now they have so many that are ‘redemption cards’ !!!!! Did the CEO & the COO & the WEV & the SDN & the ICF all get together and have to raid the piggy banks to pay the bills…….AND ALL THEY COULD RUMMAGE UP WAS THESE 1963 QUARTERS ??????? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)

9. steve-o
    Posted Friday March 23rd, 2012 at 02:30 AM | Permalink

on the Kerry Wood card…..isnt it the secondary photo & not the main photo showing Aramis Ramirez ?

and…..on the 2 Ryan Madson photos-what color are the team names & positions suppose to be (if not black) ?

10. chrisolds
    Posted Friday March 23rd, 2012 at 09:41 AM | Permalink

Steve-o: Kerry Wood has never played for the Brewers.

11. Posted Sunday March 25th, 2012 at 02:23 PM | Permalink

The Carlos Pena error is boring

12. Posted Sunday April 1st, 2012 at 08:10 AM | Permalink

I have collected Topps cards since 1958. I have all the Tigers cards from the 1963 topps set. (see: tigerjim13.com ) When topps created the 2012 Heritage cards they technically blundered on the position of the photos on the Leader Cards.
    Card #2 Miguel Cabrera Should be in the Middle Position as he WON the Batting Tittle.
    Card #6 Justin Verlander should be in the middle position as he WON the ERA Tittle
    Card #8 Justin Verlander should be in the middle position as he WON the Strikeout Tittle
    Card #10 Justin Verlander should be in the middle position as he WON the Most Wins Tittle
    I have antisipated the new Heritage depicting the winners of the pitching and batting tittles with these
    Detroit Tigers players, who did lead the league in the respective catagories, by being placed in the MIDDLE Position
    as was done in the original 1963 Topps.
    I will take these leader cards and digitally reposition the leaders to their correct positions for myself.

13. Bill Siebler
    Posted Wednesday April 4th, 2012 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

I am pretty pleased as I bought 5 boxes and caught two of the color swaps. Now can someone explain what the TAR and WM stand for? What am I looking for?

14. chrisolds
    Posted Thursday April 5th, 2012 at 09:53 AM | Permalink

Target retail variation = all-red borders
    Walmart retail variation = all-blue borders

We’ll have a full rundown of the color-swaps in the next issue of Beckett Baseball.

15. Brent
    Posted Friday April 6th, 2012 at 03:43 PM | Permalink

Does anyone know if certain variations (i.e. color swap, image swap, the other errors mentioned above) are in retail boxes (blaster mini’s)? Seems as though i’ve only pulled the high-numbered short prints and also the Target and Walmart red and blues… I’ve bought quite a bit and i’m just assuming certain cards are hobby only? I did however pull 2 of the JFK story inserts, which are not shown to have odds on the packaging and i’ve heard run about 1 per case, that seemed weird… Can anyone help me out on this one? Thanks

16. Pete
    Posted Monday April 9th, 2012 at 04:00 PM | Permalink

I think I have found an error card not mentioned. 2012 topps heritage #126 Jonathan Lucroy. He plays for the MIlwaukee Brewers, but on the back of the card it says “In his first full season Jonathan was solid in every phase for the AL Central Division winning Brewers”. Last I checked the brewers were in the NL. Has anyone else seen this?

17. Joey
    Posted Thursday April 19th, 2012 at 07:51 PM | Permalink

Anyone else noticing a lot of stats errors on the back of the 2012 Heritage cards? I’ve been noting things like they have 17 home runs for a season but then only 1 RBI. I’ve seen it on several cards.

18. Byron Gray
    Posted Sunday June 3rd, 2012 at 10:57 PM | Permalink

I think i found an error on the 2012 topps heritage #255 John Axford. the primary picture dose not look at all like him in the secondary picture.

19. Posted Monday June 18th, 2012 at 03:56 PM | Permalink

i have a kevin gregg front with a ryan howard back……mike

20. scott poppiti
    Posted Sunday January 18th, 2015 at 06:39 PM | Permalink

hey guys about 3yrs ago I bought a pack of 2012 topps heritage pulled a Ryan MADSON ERROR WITH A
    WHITE STREAK IN THE INNER CIRCLE OF THE CARD. SHADES OF THE 1963 TOPPS JACK BALDSCHUN ERROR
    AS MY LATE MOM AND AUNT LOOKED ON.