Short-printed Pietrangelo jersey card draws hobby interest

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor

Sometimes, jerseys cards with just a plain, white swatch are valuable.

James Wright and Michael Hodges both learned this when they recently sold an Alex Pietrangelo jersey card from 2012-13 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey. Pietrangelo is a defenseman on the St. Louis Blues.

The price?

“I was a little surprised at the selling price because Pietrangelo is not a big hobby name,” said Wright, who pulled the card from a local shop in Winnipeg, Sports Card Connection.

“I knew it would go for a decent price because there are many collectors that try to complete the Upper Deck Jersey set each year. It would be very hard to complete that set this year.”

They realized the card would sell well when Upper Deck released short-print information on its blog. Pietrangelo’s jersey card is the only card in Group A, the rarest group. His card can found in UD S1 packs at a rate of 1 in every 20,176 packs.

Even though Hodges is a Pietrangelo fan, he didn’t think twice about selling one of the two cards he had.

He traded for one by giving up a Jaden Schwartz 2012-13 Artifacts Rookie Black Autograph, and he got a second on eBay for a quick Buy It Now of $3.

“I knew there was a collector out there who would need it for their set,” said Hodges, who claims to have the largest Pietrangelo collection in the world. “But I was shocked at $300. I figured $100 max.”

Currently, there is just one of these cards on eBay – with bidding nearing $200 with two days remaining in the auction.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Hockey. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook.

1. David Johnson
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

That seller who listed it for $3 buy it now must be kicking himself right now.

2. Supersitz
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

3. CC
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

And here is the $3 FAIL!

4. AlexTheGr8
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 01:00 PM | Permalink

I was also lucky enough to pick one up for $3 for my PC. Mike has the most 1/1s but I pride myself on the quantity portion:

5. Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 01:14 PM | Permalink

Alex definitely has a SOLID Pietrangelo collection, he just got scared of the multi-player cards ;)

6. mike
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 01:26 PM | Permalink

this is why the shortprint list should be released the same time as the product comes out.

7. Gordon
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 01:30 PM | Permalink

Big thanks to Michael Hodges as I was in the receiving end of the Schwartz. Top notch service!

8. CC
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 06:06 PM | Permalink

Gordon….that’s what she said….

9. Tony G
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 01:06 AM | Permalink

I don’t think the lists should come out at the same time. If you think it’s a $3 card, tough luck and sold it too early, too bad.

10. Posted Sunday February 10th, 2013 at 04:51 PM | Permalink

Another for sale on eBay:

11. Susan Lulgjuraj
    Posted Sunday February 10th, 2013 at 10:25 PM | Permalink

looks like the bubble burst

12. Jason
    Posted Monday March 4th, 2013 at 09:51 AM | Permalink

I was just going through stacks of cards I opened but never organized and remembered reading this article. I went through a stack of jersey cards and to my amazement I found this card. I made sure to put it in a new case, LOL.