By Andrew Tolentino | Hockey Editor
For the fourth year in a row now, Upper Deck will kick off the Canadian National Hockey Card Day on Saturday, Feb. 11 with tons of exclusive giveaways and a special 16-card set. But this year, the other nation in North America, the United States, will also be included in the hobby holiday.
Find out how to participate on either side of the border after the jump.
“We are thrilled about bringing National Hockey Card Day to fans in the United States and sharing this wonderful hobby with them,” said Chris Carlin, Upper Deck’s sports marketing & social media manager. “Hockey fans in the U.S. have seen how much fun their Canadian counterparts had with this promotion the past few years and they have been clamoring for us to bring it to the United States. We look forward to record numbers of hockey fans visiting participating hobby shops this weekend to score their free National Hockey Card Day packs.”
The proverbial puck drops tomorrow morning when Upper Deck begins an array of events and promotions hockey collectors in the U.S. and Canada.
- Head out to any participating hobby shop to get free five-card packs featuring pieces from the 16-card National Hockey Card Day set.
- Ask your local shop owner for details on how to get the special 16th card featuring Sidney Crosby as a member of Team Canada and visit London Drugs or Toys ‘R’ Us to receive a special blow-up card with any Upper Deck purchase.
The Canadian 16-card set includes:
- Five rookies (Cody Hodgson, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Brett Connolly, Mark Scheifele and Sean Couturier)
- Five veterans (Taylor Hall, P.K. Subban, Roberto Luongo, Steven Stamkos and Jonathan Toews)
- Five legends (Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier and Martin Brodeur)
- One special card featuring Sidney Crosby on Team Canada (Available as a gift with purchase while supplies last)
In the U.S.
- Visit any participating shop to receive one free five-card National Hockey Card Day pack.
- Ask your local shop owner for details on how to get the U.S. version of the special 16th card featuring Tim Thomas celebrating the Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory.
The U.S. 16-card set includes:
- American Franchises (Featuring Gabriel Landeskog, Alex Ovechkin, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, Jaromir Jagr, and Zdeno Chara playing for teams in the U.S.)
- Stars in Stripes (Showcasing current U.S.-born players Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, Ryan Miller, Zach Parise, and Andy Miele
- American Icons (Legendary U.S. players Willie O’Ree, Mike Modano, Brett Hull, and Brian Leetch
- One special card featuring Tim Thomas (Available as a gift with purchase while supplies last)