Santa Claus coming to a Strata football box near you

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Ho ho ho!

Topps is bringing Santa Claus to collectors this year.

Santa Claus autograph relic cards have popped up in 2013 Topps Strata Football. No, Santa isn’t one of the many backup quarterbacks this year. The Santa Claus cards are an extra addition to Strata.

One of the first cards popped up during a group break with Cardsmiths Breaks. Sam Smith, the owner, said the card given away in a random drawing to all the members in the group break.

The card is numbered to 35, and signed in silver ink with a gold star next to the game. There is also a red, green and white sweater as the last layer of the shadowbox card.

So what do you think of the card?

Santa Claus cards: yay or nay?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor at Beckett Media. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 08:52 AM | Permalink

Nice touch with the “SANTA-WORN MEMORABILIA” and “CERTIFIED SANTA AUTOGRAPH ISSUE” disclaimers.

2. Marc Genser
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 09:18 AM | Permalink

Might be nice for children who find it in their pack, but other than that it does not really serve a purpose as (at least I believe) santa never played in the NFL. But hey, weirder things have happened…

3. Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 09:54 AM | Permalink

The Santa in the photo is too creepy

4. phillies_joe
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 11:30 AM | Permalink

Someone is on an ego trip….and I agree with above…Santa looks like a creep

5. J.R. Lebert
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 03:45 PM | Permalink

I would love one! That’s a cool card, and honestly, it’s one of the cards I would collect, as it’s a HOBBY for me, not my source of income. Let’s be honest, it’ll sell MUCH better than almost ANYONE in this year’s awful RC class.

6. David Bonneville
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 04:08 PM | Permalink

I saw this on Twitter and thought it would be nice for a child :) I know of a 5 year old boy who would LOVE to find this in HIS stocking :) He’s a great kid, you should hear some of the things he come’s out with, like just the other day his mother told him he better eat all his dinner and veggies and if he didn’t Santa might only bring him cola this year, and his reply ” Well that’s okay! He can bring me coal then I can be the conductor on the train and make it go fast!” lol Gotta love’em! :))

7. David Bonneville
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 04:09 PM | Permalink

Dang it! That should have read “COAL” not Cola!

8. Jeorge hibz
    Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 06:08 PM | Permalink

I voted Nay, but after pondering it , it mite be a nice gift to a young collector,

9. Posted Thursday December 12th, 2013 at 10:07 PM | Permalink

Now wasnt Chris Olds the santa claus here. Like really? Someone needs to get on that..

10. whatajoke
    Posted Friday December 13th, 2013 at 09:52 AM | Permalink

Topps just continues to shred their last shred of any credibility. Now, not only are they passing off “memorabilia” that they won’t certify as being from ANYTHING anymore, but now they’ve gone back to the well of just plain making stuff up!! Anyone remember the Triple Thread John Henry and Pecos Bill cards?? $200+ a box to pull one of those?? Then this past year with the Allen & Ginter cards containing pieces from a Phoenix or the Loch Ness Monster??

P.S – Amusing that neither this Santa card, or any of those jokes they slipped into A&G are actually on the checklist!

11. chrisolds
    Posted Friday December 13th, 2013 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

Ryan: I failed to be jolly enough.

12. Mike
    Posted Friday December 13th, 2013 at 01:47 PM | Permalink

I’m generally very critical of topps but as long as this card is an EXTRA auto in the box, I like it.

13. idiocratic
    Posted Saturday December 14th, 2013 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

olds: i’ve seen you in person before, trust me you’re jolly enough

14. J.R.
    Posted Sunday December 15th, 2013 at 01:52 PM | Permalink

So just FYI, I wonder how many cards from Strata are selling for $125+? That’s what the first Santa went for on the bay…