Rippin’ Retail … err Hobby: 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he rips into a hobby box of Gypsy Queen in advance of our Box Busters — and perhaps an inevitable Rippin’ Retail video or two … or three … or four …

What else will he find inside — or what won’t he find inside? Watch and find out …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OixzSwxU9YYouTube Preview Image

1. Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 09:50 AM | Permalink

Topps is making out like a bandit … err, gypsy … with this product.

2. Steve
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

Out of a 4 product u got 1, since one was a redemption. It seems to be happening quite a bit, and I have seen people get those jewel cards as replacements as hits. They may sell well but a hit is a relic or auto. I sure hope Topps gets their stuff together. Missing hits and the other nonsense like overpriced Tribute!

3. Ron
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 10:53 AM | Permalink

I plan on staying away from this product. Too many problems and I don’t see any value here.

4. Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Due to the price point and the problem with the hits I’ll probably stay away from this one, other than to scour the bay for some of the Orioles singles….

5. Jeff Kruer
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 03:17 PM | Permalink

How is it that Topps continues to take advantage of being the “only baseball card producer”?
    “Forgotten Cards” “Damaged cards” They do it because they can, and we continue to send them our money. They are either very poorly managed, or brilliant crooks.

6. Tom w
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 05:04 PM | Permalink

Chris
    I know you can try and cover for Topps But like I’ve said before the GREED factor is looming large.
    This is what happens with exclusive contracts a company has no incentive to do things the right way there is no other options for collectors to let “the market decide.”
    I was really looking forward to buying a box on the hype but thanks to Beckett and Youtube
    I will just stay with buying a few packs. There is NO EXCUSES for shorting boxes all this really means is Topps pushed the product out the door as quick as they could before it was ready.
    Topps is looking more like Upper deck all the time what do you guys think?

7. chris
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 05:22 PM | Permalink

I like how they all are baseball and not multi sport

8. blake
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 05:52 PM | Permalink

Ha! Mr. Olds, I am sorry you got shorted, but thrilled that you posted this video. Horrible marketing for Topps. The quality of the cards has dropped tremendously.

9. chrisolds
    Posted Thursday April 28th, 2011 at 06:13 PM | Permalink

I’m not “covering” for anyone.

10. Todd Ickes
    Posted Friday April 29th, 2011 at 08:13 AM | Permalink

Im not sure he is covering for topps. Did you not see chris’ face on the final pack. Im sure he has an idea where he would like that thumb to go.

11. marv
    Posted Friday April 29th, 2011 at 09:22 AM | Permalink

how is olds covering? He Bought the box, busted the box, and gave an honest opinion of the product. He expressed his likes and dis-likes.