Random Question II: What single card would you want to own as a perfect BGS 10?

For the first Random Question, click here.

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Random Question time … What one card would you want as a perfect BGS 10?

Just like the first question, I don’t have a distinct, definitive reply, but rather a few cards that might qualify. The real question one must first ask is whether you’d pick a card for the money — or for a card you’d want. Let us know which way you’d go …

1. Jason Taylor
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

Definitely a 1983 Topps Cal Ripken Jr. Not only was that the year after he won the Rookie of the Year (so all the stats are on the back) but also it was the year he won the MVP and the World Series! I was 9 years old at the time and just beginning to get into baseball. I distinctly remember buying a box of 1983 the following year just to get that card because it was so cool. I’ve always loved the design with the large action shot, and then the head shot on the bottom corner. I’ve never really been a graded card buyer, but if the price was right, I’d make an exception.

2. Matthew Meyer
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

I would love to have my favorite player’s best RC card as a true 10 (not only for the money, but for the memories); 1993 SP Derek Jeter #279

3. Ryan Garris
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

Not just for the money but I would love to have a BGS 10 Gretzky O-Pee-Chee rookie, it is like the modern day personal holy grail of hockey cards……that blue border makes it so hard though.

4. danny
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

WAGNER T206

1993 JETER SP

5. Jon Chuckery
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

Hard to imagine not wanting a 52 Topps Mickey Mantle…its one of the “holy grail” of cards and obviously the financial stability of it (there would always be a market for that card from a resale perspective)…From a more personal standpoint probably the two cards I’d like are 54 Topps Hank Aaron and 1933 Goudy Lou Gehrig as they are 2 of my favorite vintage stars

6. @Jaypers413
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

Without a doubt, the 1994 SP A-Rod. There have been over 11,000 graded and not one Pristine-10 to date.

7. chad shsuter
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

Id say a BGS 10 Joe Montana Rc and a BGS 10 Shaquille O Neal RC
    Joe Montana happens to b one of my best NFL players and SHAQ also

8. card opinionator
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 03:54 PM | Permalink

1986-87 Fleer Jordan, no question. There are only four of them, and who wouldn’t want that?

9. steve miller
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 03:58 PM | Permalink

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan. I grew up with Jordan as an Icon & hero. My room was plastered with his posters & I loved watching him play & dunk. Definitely the most important card from my childhood.

10. Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 06:42 PM | Permalink

1997-98 Vincent Lecavalier Black Diamond. The rookie of the greatest player in Lightning history.

11. Shawn
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 08:09 PM | Permalink

For me it would be a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan/Koosman rookie. My favorite baseball player of all-time and love the ’68 card design. That would be one sweet card. A close second would be a 1962 Topps Hal Stowe. Why you ask? My wife is related to him and would be a perfect keepsake to hand down to my son.

12. nu billy baroo
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 11:32 PM | Permalink

Jason – great reply, Love the 1983 Topps Ripken Card (and 83 Topps in general)

1991 Fleer Juan Samuel or 1959 Sandy Koufax

13. Nathan Crandell
    Posted Wednesday November 16th, 2011 at 11:56 PM | Permalink

Wow, as far as collecting, I have two personal favs I would want for my PC as a 10, a 1954 Ernie Banks RC ( I currently have one that would be graded as authentic because of some edging) and a 1954 Hank Aaron RC that is always too expensive for me to buy.
    For the money and coolness factor, a T206 Wagner and 86-87 Fleer Michael Jordan.

14. Posted Thursday November 17th, 2011 at 12:44 AM | Permalink

well… the obvious answer for anyone wanting the $$$ value is the Wagner T-206, but… this is supposed to be fun, so I will give a different answer. I would love either a Magic/Erving/Bird RC from 80-81 Topps or a Darryl Strawberry 1983 Topps Traded XRC.

Or… the one card I need as MY holy grail, 2004 Donruss Classics Timeless Tributes Platinum Parallel (football) Matt Ware RC 1/1. That’s all.

15. Jessica Gilman
    Posted Thursday November 17th, 2011 at 04:41 AM | Permalink

No brainer for me. Either Joe Montana 81 topps or 89 upper deck ken griffeyjr. 2 iconic cards ever made!

16. Rafferity
    Posted Friday November 18th, 2011 at 08:50 AM | Permalink

Would have to say the Topps Desert Shield Juan Gonzalez. I collected Juan when he played, and had a buddy go overseas during Desert Shield/Storm. He came back with the cards and said you like the Rangers, here you can have this. And it was the JUAN!!! Needlessly to say I still have it, but not graded.

17. Brianwoodside
    Posted Saturday November 19th, 2011 at 02:54 AM | Permalink

1955 Roberto Clemente. Ariba!!!

18. Lucas
    Posted Saturday November 19th, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

It would have to be the ’76 Ozzie rookie for me. I have two but both aren’t in that great of condition.

19. Lucas
    Posted Saturday November 19th, 2011 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

I mean ’79.

20. john
    Posted Sunday November 20th, 2011 at 07:21 AM | Permalink

1952 topps mickey mantle. i know it’s been picked already but that would be a dream come true. and i would live in a box on the street corner with it before i would sell it! imagine a pristine 10 ’52 topps mick?! BEAST!!!!!! besides that maybe a pristine 10 1985 topps mark mcgwire oly. xrc just cause he was my favorite player when i first started collecting in the late 1980’s.

21. Andy
    Posted Tuesday November 22nd, 2011 at 05:01 PM | Permalink

I would have to go with the 1983 Tony Gwynn RC O-PEE-CHEE #143! This is one tough card to get in pristine BGS MINT 10 condition for sure! I would love to own this card, and not for the $’s!!! It would be a center piece DREAM for me! (Probably not a dream card for most!) But he is an icon and the man of the Padres in my opinion! Thanks, Andy

22. joseph g.
    Posted Friday November 25th, 2011 at 07:18 PM | Permalink

Forget the 86′-87′ Fleer Jordan hype!! A Gem Mint 10, 84′-85′ Star #101 as well as an 85′ Star ROY #1 would be out of this world! Throw in an 85′ Star Lite All-Stars #4 for good measure.

23. Phil Fabbro
    Posted Sunday November 27th, 2011 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

1980-81 Topps Larry Bird/Julius Erving/Magic Johnson RC BVG 10 – no question – toughest card from that generation hands down. Way tougher than Montana rookie or Jordan rookie or any of the other bad boys – there are only 14 Gem Mint copies compared to almost 60 Montana’s and over 200 Jordan rookies – there are even less 9’s! Think about it – 4 Jordan 10’s, 2 Montana 10’s more 10’s of everyone but this card – only 1 10 of it – plus you get Bird, a celtics legend, Magic, a lakers legend and Erving – I mean that’s a killer combination of players, plus the card is perforated and you just had that big documentary come out a short while back about Bird and Magic – A courtship of Rivals i think it was called.
    My total dream card and and easily a sleeper long term investment compared to a 100k Jordan or 60k Montana.

24. rowdy busch
    Posted Sunday January 8th, 2012 at 02:20 PM | Permalink

I got a 1933 goudey Babe Ruth….but i would love having something graded mint 10.
    CUrrently have some good Nascar rookies. And have 2 Ozzies RC (1 topps and 1 o-peechee) Got some un-unopened packs that could be a RC Jordan and some RC cards possible Gretskys. One day i get to opening them…….
    I love to have old Babe Ruth cards (of course Honus Wagner) is just a dream.
    Prefer things 50+ yrs old

25. Jim B
    Posted Tuesday September 11th, 2012 at 03:55 AM | Permalink

You’d have to be an idiot to want the bird magic 10! Sure it’s a cool card but it is so obviously cut post factory by one of those laser cutting scumbags that it’s junk! Whoever buys that card is going to get screwed!
    I just noticed that memory lane has it in their upcoming own it now auction starting in September. What a bunch of criminals! They’ll probably try to rip off some fool who thinks it gold, then realizes its a worthless sheet cut card. What a frigging joke! Some idiots will buy anything. Wouldn’t be surprised if it gets bought then put back on eBay by one of the big sellers. Heck, they’re probably going to bid it up at the auction anyway. All these auction houses are criminals, look what happened with mastronet! Save your money and buy psa, at least the cards are real and not sheet cut post factory laser trimmed worthless cardboard in a plastic holder with a 10 label that means nothing once the 2nd, 3rd and 4th copy of a 10 come out – which always happens 6 months after the first one actually gets sold to some monkey! Seen it happen with Marino and elway rookies! Cards went from 80 copies in 9.5 to 300 all at once when those guys slabber all the sheet cut cards all at once! Cards went from 1k to 250 bucks in a month. And how about elway 10s? 10k to 2500 in a couple months. Whoever buys and of these big bgs cards is a dingbat!