Preview Gallery: 2012 Topps Heritage baseball

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

This year’s edition of the hobby’s annual throwback to yesteryear, Topps Heritage, isn’t set to arrive in hobby shops until March 14, but we got our hands on an early retail box and cracked it without the cameras rolling.

We’ll hold off on any in-depth analysis of what we found until our forthcoming Box Busters episode and instead let you examine some of what we found for yourself among the colorful throwback cards in the style of 1963 Topps.

After the jump, you can find a massive 40-card preview gallery of what we found inside … and you just might notice some quirks among the cards seen here to get you guessing what Topps might have up its sleeve in this year’s set. Also be sure to take our poll (and leave a comment) to offer your first impressions.

First reactions: 2012 Topps Heritage baseball

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Click on the images below (twice) for a larger and unobstructed view.

1. Steve Waibel
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Great classic photography poses!

2. joe
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I don’t hate this product. Nor do I love it. It’s just the fact that I think Topps is doing the Heritage thing a bit much. Give it a rest for a few years. I’ll be saving my money for something else.

3. Klee
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Is that red oval only weird because of lincecum’s haircut? What is that?

4. Shaun
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Can’t wait to chase the Matt Moore cards and the rest of the Rays! And then work on getting them auto’d!!!

5. Adam Jensen
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:18 am | Permalink

I always liked the product when they do their short prints.

6. T. M. Wacho
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Always love heritage, especially the black refractors..

7. Chuck Ostberg
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I have collected Topps Heritage since it came out and find it very informative. i had complete sets of the 1057, 1958, 1959, and 1960 sets in the years mentioned above and will collect the heritage sets until they quit making them. It’s fun to look back and see the design on the cards today as opposed to cards like they were.

8. Don Davis
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Totally Awesome… This product dose no wrong…..

9. Devan
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

It looks like Matt Moore is on two of the Rookie Stars cards. Tamps fans will love having to get two (i assume) SP’s. Also, what’s with the tropical backgrounds? Verlander and the Jungle, others with palm trees? Are those the SSP’s this year? I love this set.

10. JeffB
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Just curious (and we’re still quite a bit away from this) but at what point does Heritage stop? I mean, I can’t imagine getting very excited for this product in 25 years:

“Stars of 2037 AND the CLASSIC 1988 design!”

Hoo Boy, can’t wait to pull that Tony Bernazard or Eric Plunk Flashback GU card…

11. chrisolds
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Like any brand, Heritage will disappear when it stops selling. Could be next year, could be in 10 years.

12. Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Of course we’ve seen this design re-used already as recent as 2001 with Upper Deck Vintage.

13. chrisolds
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Except it wasn’t the same … and it wasn’t Upper Deck’s to use.

14. Joe Cheesman
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Really, Really dislike Heritage…..maybe its because I dislike old cards (poor quality). Look at the Vance Worley above…..pathetic! (same as my spelling) Anyway….I’ll await and spend my money on other product launches this year. Just my 2 cents.

15. Keith
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I think the heritage cards are awesome. Just wish they would cut back on the short prints a bit. 100 short prints in a 400 card set is a bit much.

16. Greg
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

What’s the deal with the Redo of the Clubhouse Collection relics set. It’s looked practically the same for years.

17. Bruce
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the article Chris! Formatted after my birth year so been waiting a long time for this one! Going for the gusto! I’m going to try to put the whole set together SP’s and all!

18. Rob
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

This is the only set i will build this year and its a beaut. Love the ’63 design!

19. Michael Poyma
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Ahhh, the return of the floating heads…

20. clinton johnson
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

i think i’m going to pass on this product. i’ll save my money to bust boxes of topps series 2

21. Phil
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Amazing how when Topps first did this set, it was the rave of everybody…now everybody complains about it. I like it, but I don’t buy tons of it anymore. Usually one or two boxes, mainly because it doesn’t deliver too many “hits”.

22. Drew
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Can Beckett share if the Lawrie pictured is a high number?

23. chrisolds
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

It’s not a high-number.

24. bobby jackson
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Vintage cards look good these days.

25. Adam P
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

this is probably my favorite design right next to 2004.

can’t wait.

2 Trackbacks

1. By Preview of 2012 Heritage... - Blowout Cards Forums on February 28, 2012 at 11:55 pm

[…] of 2012 Heritage… Posted tonight on Beckett.com: Heritage Gallery I am now hyped up for Heritage because they apparently update the checklist to include a RC of […]

2. […] is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post's poll. Beckett News Preview Gallery: 2012 Topps Heritage baseball __________________ Shop for Sports Cards and Trading […]