My first Registry is easily beatable … or is it?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary & Opinion

Sometimes, my grand ideas don’t aways go to plan.

Not long ago, I wrote about one of my rarest graded cards and how I planned to have it be among my first registered cards. I was wrong and I was as predictable as can be once I saw that the Beckett Graded Registry was live today. I went back to my well — and instead registered my toughest find.

My first registry is “For Major Leaguers only” and it’s for the toughest not-supposed-to-be-tough-set I know, the 1989 Major League Movie collection. You see, the Registry isn’t for just the 1952 Topps collectors of the world — it’s for any weird little niche you can find. And mine? Well, you all know by now …

I’ve seen just two factory-sealed sets show up on eBay in five years or so and I paid dearly for this one. I recently let the second go unsold on eBay because, while I want to own as many sets as possible, I’d rather not pay even more dearily (sure, that’s a word) for a second, even though it may have graded out even better than mine. (Why? I’m a bit like Jake Taylor in one regard … something about “league minimum.”)

I entered all 11 of my cards in the set and it’s an underachieving bunch if there ever was one. It’s an authenticated-only set — a move because I knew that the wear of just being shrink-wrapped for all those years since my set was handed to an extra at Milwaukee’s County Stadium during filming was not conducive to a Pristine 10. Or even a Gem Mint 9.5.  I knew that it wouldn’t be pretty — even though I treated my cards like Honus Wagner T206s as I carefully opened the set, so I opted for a move that meant all of the slabs had matching blue labels.

This morning, I entered all 11 cards and the Registry tallied up my points — 11 out of 111.1 possible. My set? Complete at 100 percent. Its GPA? A big ol’ zero.

But my position? No 1.

Now I’m pretty sure that there won’t be many collectors out there with these kinds of stats, but are there other collectors with graded copies of the set?

Well, according to the population report, there aren’t any. Not a single BGS 1 of the bunch, let alone any Pristine 10s.

So, for now, I definitely can say that my No. 1-ranking feels comfy.

My 1952 Topps ranking? Well, we’ll not even go there …

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Look for more on sports-related entertainment collectibles in the upcoming Sports Movies Issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, which begins shipping to hobby shops on April 3.

1. Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 08:49 AM | Permalink

The registry is live? I guess I know what I’m doing today.

2. Wally
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 10:21 AM | Permalink

It was working briefly this morning 3/11/13 then it was shut down again.

3. chrisolds
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

Today is a soft launch day. Updates will be made throughout day and it will be a full “go” at some point today. (I wrote the item while site was live to public.)

4. LivingDedMan
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 01:53 PM | Permalink

2 out of 3 cards I tried to enter were said to not exist, so I guess I’ll give it a few more days.

5. chrisolds
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 02:26 PM | Permalink

It’s now live.

6. rick
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 02:28 PM | Permalink

I’ll trade you a 86 Donruss Canseco for that “Jake Taylor here”

7. chrisolds
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 02:43 PM | Permalink

Um, no … I have 150+ of the Cansecos and just one Jake. Good try, though!

8. Rob Braxton
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 03:41 PM | Permalink

I’d still get’em graded. When I see ‘Authentic’, it makes me think ‘altered’ (even if that is not the case).
    (In fact, I don’t even see the point of ‘Authentic’ labels, except for ‘altered’ cards.)

Either way, it’s good to be ‘King’.

9. chrisolds
    Posted Monday March 11th, 2013 at 03:44 PM | Permalink

For the record, it will say ALTERED if altered.

10. Rob Braxton
    Posted Tuesday March 12th, 2013 at 01:23 PM | Permalink

Ahh! GTK, thanks.

(Maybe a skull & crossbones logo would help make it more obvious.)

11. Brad
    Posted Tuesday March 12th, 2013 at 02:06 PM | Permalink

The new registry is amazing and very simple to use. I put over 50 cards into it in less than ten minutes. However the kinks need a bit of work as I entered a few cards, they didn’t exist or came up as hockey cards. May not be the rgistry but the data entry at beckett. I have a graded Bob Feller 2010 Topps Sterling card that comes up Brooks Robinson. All-in-all, great and worth the wait. Now we need some contests.

12. Susan Lulgjuraj
    Posted Tuesday March 12th, 2013 at 02:46 PM | Permalink

Thanks, Brad.

For the stuff that you found that need to be fixed, email

13. Tyler
    Posted Tuesday March 12th, 2013 at 06:05 PM | Permalink

I have 15 different 1973 Topps cards that I bought from The Topps Vault as Vault File Copies and are certified Authentic by BVG as 1 of 1s. When I try to look up the serial number, it finds the card with the corresponding BGS number. I do not find these cards in the population report either. Is there a way to add these cards to my registry?

14. Rob Braxton
    Posted Wednesday March 13th, 2013 at 02:22 PM | Permalink

@Brad – Yeah! I had a few (soccer) entries that came up as the same hockey player over and over again.