Michael Jordan continues to command cash

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

It’s a good thing that the NBA lockout appears to be over — now somebody else might have a chance to star on cardboard.

With current action at a standstill, many a collector has looked backward to a safe player to sink their hobby dollars into — a guy whose buying power remains years after his career ended. (So much buying power that he was the cover story of a recent Beckett Basketball issue, by the way.)

His name? Michael Jordan.

The latest example of Jordan’s power was seen Sunday on eBay of all places where a 1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jerseys Autograph card — one of just 23 in existence — sold for five figures after 44 bids.

The final ending price? A mere $30,123.23.

That’s a whole lot of coin.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. Quentin
    Posted Tuesday November 29th, 2011 at 05:42 PM | Permalink

Crazy… His cards and autos are a safe investment though. I have his Fleer RC card with a Upper Deck certified auto and paid a fraction of a fraction of that cost, even though it’s the most expensive card I have in my PC.

2. Chris J
    Posted Tuesday November 29th, 2011 at 07:17 PM | Permalink

His cards will always be high value, He’s the best of the best.

3. Terrell
    Posted Tuesday November 29th, 2011 at 10:09 PM | Permalink

Jordan=Best Ever. Not surprised someone would spend that much, I am surprised they spent that much now…

4. Richard
    Posted Wednesday November 30th, 2011 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Safe investment? No.
    At one time the RC was going for about $5K, now you can get it for under $1K.
    Greatest player of his generation, but he continues to sign stuff so the price is dropping.
    The occasional odd ball card of his will soar, but you can find 1/1 cards of his at relatively
    cheap prices compared to what you would have once paid.

5. Dave
    Posted Wednesday November 30th, 2011 at 01:17 PM | Permalink

Wholy COINS! Love MJ and only wish and DREAM of owning one of his auto’s! Nice! Thanks for the post!
    Dave

6. steve
    Posted Wednesday November 30th, 2011 at 01:41 PM | Permalink

TOTALLY AGREE WITH RICHARD !!!!!!! Even though MJ is & was the greatest player (for his time & then the debates would open up on other times too)……he does sign a lot of stuff !! (and from what Ive heard……DEMANDS a high signing figure-(poor guy, hope he can pay his rent or feed his four kids……like the rest of us)…..but, I guess anybody who can find and/or afford his signature, will try and get it.

7. EM
    Posted Wednesday November 30th, 2011 at 02:33 PM | Permalink

I have an unopened 1991 Michael Jordan Wheaties box with Air Jordan Fight Club Calendar enclosed. It’s still on the plastic and in good condition. I can only find one like it on ebay and they have it up for $1500.00. I went into a local sports memorabilia store and they say its worth $50. Can you help?

Also, I have a Jordan 1986 Fleer Rookie card as well as the entire series and the whole sticker set. Can you tell me what the card itself is worth, as I have 3. One is autographed, but not certified.

Thanks,

EM
    sans.regret@yahoo.com

8. Chin
    Posted Wednesday November 30th, 2011 at 05:56 PM | Permalink

The 1997-98 Upper Deck jersey card was the 1st ever jersey card. Add to it the autograph and the 23 card print run. It can get expensive, but $30k is a lot!

9. shea nanos
    Posted Thursday December 1st, 2011 at 01:37 PM | Permalink

I have a 2002 U.D. SUPERSTARS Jordan/Woods dual auto and jersey card limited to 25 and I have number 25. Just seeing if anyone has info on this card because it is hard to come by thanks shea