Leaf introduces Matrix inserts

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

Leaf announced an update to its Metal technology at The Industry Summit, but weren’t ready to reveal the results.

On Tuesday, Leaf unveiled Matrix, using etching combined with color to create a dynamic insert.

“At the 2013 Industry Summit, Leaf promised a new era of innovation from our company,” Brian Gray said in a release. “The game-changing MATRIX technology is the first step in the realization of Leaf’s promise.”

The basketball Matrix cards will be inserted into 2012-13 Leaf Metal Basketball and the Genetic Matrix inserts will fall one per box in Leaf’s upcoming Rookie Retro product

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 08:31 AM | Permalink

I don’t get it. These Matrices are exactly like what a Finest Refractor looked like up until a couple of years ago. Am I missing something here?

2. cardpolice
    Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 08:51 AM | Permalink

The etching around player in backgorund is now colored. I think these look crazy good.
    Nice to see them innovating and not copying.

3. bearcatlawjd
    Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

They look better than the other Prizm and Refractor brands out on the market. I would like to see what leaf could do with an MLBPA license.

In some ways I felt Panini’s first year with the license underwhelmed due to an odd release schedule and poor choices.

4. Kevin
    Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

I like the football design a lot more than the bball

5. Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 02:28 PM | Permalink

They look really good, I must say!!!

6. afff
    Posted Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 06:17 PM | Permalink

i don’t mind the look of them

7. J-Tron 303
    Posted Wednesday April 17th, 2013 at 02:28 PM | Permalink

The design looks great, however the missing team logos drive me crazy. It’s like a vortex for my eyes, I can’t stop staring. Very distracting, I’ll pass.

That NBA licensee needs to be passed around.. Breaks my heart.

8. Posted Wednesday April 17th, 2013 at 07:08 PM | Permalink

I like the basketball Hoop Matrix design, the basketball-like texture is pretty cool, the Genetic Matrix design on the other hand does not appeal to me. I just am not big on the chemical bond look.