If there’s one word to define the National Sports Collectors Convention, it’s …

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

As the final day of the National Sports Collectors Convention begins here in a few minutes, I find myself pondering just how I would sum up the show so far — in a single word.

Overwhelming.

The NSCC is overwhelming in how much stuff is on the show floor. There has to be a million cards up for grabs — between singles and boxes  — and that feels like a conservative estimate. There’s so much yet finding that one card you have been looking for still might be elusive. It’s a smaller show than, say, 10-15 years ago but it’s still too huge to see.

The NSCC is overwhelming in its positive environment where, while collectors are standing in lines and on their feet all day, one can clearly see that the dedication to collecting and the thrill of the hunt trumps soreness and long lines.

The NSCC is overwhelming for me in that I have run into countless collectors who recognized me, signed a few autographs and, of course, gave them my annual custom show card.

The NSCC is overwhelming with the amount of reactions and discussions between collectors and manufacturers, dealers, etc. It’s clear that there are many, many types of collectors — and plenty of people ready to help them out. Not every product is for everyone — and a show like this should be a reminder.

The NSCC is overwhelming in what you’ll find. It’s a museum-like experience even if one can’t afford much of what is available. (Put me in that group.)

What’s a single word that defines the show for you?

1. tolentinotown
    Posted Sunday August 7th, 2011 at 08:35 AM | Permalink

Thriving

2. Posted Sunday August 7th, 2011 at 08:40 AM | Permalink

Memories

3. CNR
    Posted Sunday August 7th, 2011 at 05:56 PM | Permalink

selfimportantbloggerspretendingtheymatter

4. Posted Monday August 8th, 2011 at 11:18 AM | Permalink

if you call this a national then why is it only held in chicago and cleveland. you have other cities like edison nj,philly,nyc,and boston.

5. chrisolds
    Posted Monday August 8th, 2011 at 01:27 PM | Permalink

It was in Baltimore last year … and will be again next year. I would prefer Dallas.

6. David Johnson
    Posted Monday August 8th, 2011 at 01:30 PM | Permalink

I am hoping it will one day come to Tampa or Orlando, so that I can easily drive to it and not have to worry about trying to cram everything I buy into a suitcase.

7. Posted Monday August 22nd, 2011 at 04:38 PM | Permalink

Chris Olds is just a constant whiner about prices at the nationals. i am not a millioniare, but have enough sense to realize that there are always things you cant afford, but at least they are there for those who can. I bought 22 items at this show and was well pleased, cant wait for baltimore nex year

From Olds: You think I’m whining? C’mon now … it’s an acknowledgement that there’s some crazy stuff to be seen at the shows.