First look: Upper Deck’s 2012-13 Fleer Retro Hockey

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor

With the removal of several products on Upper Deck’s hockey schedule, there was room for something more.

Upper Deck announced 2012-13 Fleer Retro Hockey, scheduled for an April release.

This is the third sport getting the Fleer Retro treatment from Upper Deck. The company created basketball last year and a football release scheduled for February.

Boxes of basketball and football have ranged in price from $300 to $400.

There are six autographs and four rare 1990s inserts in every display box. Each display box comes with two mini boxes.

There five cards in each pack and 10 packs in each mini box.

The Precious Metal Gems could be some of the most popular cards in Fleer Retro Hockey with Red (numbered to 100), Blue (#’d to 25) and Green (#’d to 10).

List of 1990s inserts in Fleer Retro Hockey:
-1997-98 Precious Metal Gems
-1996-97 Flair Showcase Row 2 Legacy & Legacy Masterpiece
-1997-98 Essential Credentials, Future & Now
-1996-97 Flair Showcase Hot Shots
-1997-98 SkyBox Premium Golden Touch
-1998-99 SkyBox Thunder Noyz Boyz
-1998-99 Playmaker’s Theatre
-1997 Fleer Diamond Tribute
-1998-99 Fleer Tradition Electrifying
-1997-98 Ultra Stars
-1997-98 Metal Universe Championship Hardware
-1998-99 SkyBox Premium Intimidation Nation
-1997-98 Jambalaya

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Hockey. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook.

1. steve emerick
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 06:15 PM | Permalink

Oh my…

2. zotster
    Posted Thursday January 24th, 2013 at 08:38 PM | Permalink

Assuming that Ovechkin card is a base card, I really like the look of the base set. Like the Metal Universe & Flair cards, too. Just hope the cards will have a set collector-friendly price, and not that $300-$400 range (maybe it will, since there were no autos or memorabilia previews, which is somewhat odd).

3. Scott
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 06:19 AM | Permalink

The players are in their professional uniforms, a big plus for me. I like the look of the previous Retro (Bk & FB) releases but I am not a fan of college licensed products.

4. James
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

Another cash grab by UD before their death knell.

5. David Brown
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 02:43 PM | Permalink

It is a surpisingly interesting product. I was worried that it was going to be like the panini ultra expensive garbage filled auto spectacle. I really hope they also use the fleer “greats of the game auto style which is still the best autograph styled cards in any sport at any time.

6. card opinionator
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 03:03 PM | Permalink

I really think this is going to be a hit. Of course there is not Asian market, there is CANADA! Successful brand names from the past. People calling it the death of Upper Deck will be the ones who wish they bought it at issue price. (just as long as they don’t make “Jambalaya”)

7. zotster
    Posted Friday January 25th, 2013 at 07:39 PM | Permalink

Opinionator: Pretty sure that card in the middle there is a Jambalaya insert …

8. Ryan
    Posted Sunday January 27th, 2013 at 08:17 PM | Permalink

Asian market for hockey…? Lol. Get a grip. This stuff will fly off the shelves. Buster, stick with Panini stickers and Benchwarmers and let the rest of us rip this stuff.

9. Scott
    Posted Tuesday January 29th, 2013 at 08:37 AM | Permalink

I like that they are doing these retro sets with all of the most popular older insert sets. However I think at $300-400 this will be a bust product. $100-150 yes but with limited rookies and just old school inserts in won’t fly at those high prices. I wish the companies would put out an affordable good quality product for young collectors. I think UD series 1, OPC and Score are close and at least make cards affordable for kids at a decent price.

10. Kathy M
    Posted Friday May 3rd, 2013 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

Pulled a Ryan Nugent Hopkins Jambalaya. My dealer was excited by my pull. I saw the odds were 1 in 360 packs so I guess it was OK especially with RNH being the top pick in 2011.