First look teaser: 2014 Topps baseball cards

2014ToppsDesign

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps unveiled the design for 2014 Topps baseball cards on Thursday, and once again it’s a white-bordered design but one that, this time, has a bit more modern feel.

Let us know what you think with our poll below or in a comment.

First impressions: 2014 Topps

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 01:57 PM | Permalink

I’m not sold quite yet. I’m sure it will grow on me. But the team name on the right seems off a bit.

Not terrible, but not awesome either.

2. Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 02:00 PM | Permalink

Another white-bordered, asymmetrical design.

Again.

Yay.

3. Bobby
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 02:03 PM | Permalink

what if i both love & hate it? the team name on the right & the handling of the logo look good, but there’s too much going on on the bottom of the card. need to see a few cards more to get a really good sense of the design – a non-“future star” & a horizontally oriented card would be a good start.

4. FQ
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 02:22 PM | Permalink

As a design, i guess it’s OK but it’s too much like the the last couple years. Clearly Topps wants to continue the viability of its rainbow parallels. Going in a new direction probably would have drawn more intense “hate” than this design but also more intense “love” too. This again looks like Topps’ idea of a lowest-common-denominator design that pleases a committee but no one in particular. On the positive side, I bet the landscape version of the cards look better than the portrait orientation.

5. David Johnson
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 02:39 PM | Permalink

I like it, but I wish they would get more creative and change the design up a little bit more each year. I miss the more drastic changes that used to occur every year or so in the 80s. The 80s sets each stand-out very much from each other, while the last few years has just run together and all look very similar.

6. Greg R
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 03:47 PM | Permalink

While I can’t say that I dislike it, it sure has the feeling of a Score design to me.

7. Yankees4671
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 03:58 PM | Permalink

It is not bad. Just a little too much white in my opinion (must be cheaper). I prefer the team logo on the right hand side for easier team recognition when shifting through a stack of cards. The future stars logo should have had a flash back to 1987. I think that would have made the card have the “BAM” factor! At least it is not the ’91 Fleer yellow!

8. Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 04:25 PM | Permalink

Meh.

They have a long way to go if they are going to bridge the recent white border designs with their 2020 design.

9. Kris Traynor
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 04:39 PM | Permalink

I like it ,nice crisp photo , clean white boarder , nice display of info on bottom , I’d buy it

10. Joe Cecil
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 04:49 PM | Permalink

same same same blah blah blah

11. Matt
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 05:13 PM | Permalink

This is the first reveal that I have immediately loved the design for

12. ArGa27
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 05:27 PM | Permalink

I think there’s just too much going on here. The white borders take up too much space, making the players picture look crammed. The team name on the right side just makes it worse. The photography looks really good though.

13. Greg
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 07:15 PM | Permalink

I like it. Team name on the side is a good change. Future Stars are back.
    I agree I’d like to see a regular issue card.

14. Rocksoldier
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 07:24 PM | Permalink

reminds me a lot of the last few years of Bowman. Which I like.

15. Chris Raines
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 07:24 PM | Permalink

Hey Topps, How about stop working on products to be released in a year and send me my redemptions. thanks!

16. Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 09:20 PM | Permalink

Yay! Future Stars is back. I loved collecting those as a kid in the late 80s.

17. Robert
    Posted Thursday August 8th, 2013 at 11:32 PM | Permalink

quit using foil for the player name, topps! Makes it hard to read.

You can foil anything else in the design, print the name in black ink or two-color ink without foil for readability.

18. Posted Friday August 9th, 2013 at 01:52 PM | Permalink

Yeah, stop with the silver foil, especially on white! Make it gold or copper if you must use foil!

19. kris
    Posted Friday August 9th, 2013 at 02:57 PM | Permalink

i like it but i would like to see more drastic change each year like old days

20. charles
    Posted Friday August 9th, 2013 at 05:05 PM | Permalink

The bottom section is beautiful and everything else is great except the right-side.. Just remove that team-name widget and curvature and it’s a masterpiece !!

21. Greg Barlow
    Posted Saturday August 10th, 2013 at 06:56 PM | Permalink

I like the card design although yes it is a little bland. It reminded me of the 88 mix with the 89 topps design trying to be modernish. I agree with what someone said about foil stamping. It is too much for just a basic design. If they are looking for a vintage feel, but a modern blast, the foil stamping should be colorful, or use different tones of ink like the older designs

22. Jason K
    Posted Monday August 12th, 2013 at 03:06 PM | Permalink

This is like a combo of ’84 Donruss (the wave at the bottom) and ’07 Upper Deck (team name on the side). Not terrible, and better than this year. But, not as good as ’06 (their best recent base design, in my opinion). Considering I build a Topps base every year (even the terrible ’08 design) I’m buying.