First look: 2012 Topps Series 2 (updated)

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps released the first preview images and information for the second series of its 2012 Topps flagship baseball card set on Wednesday, and it’s largely a continuation of the gold-themed collecting odyssey that begins on Feb. 1.

Each 36-pack hobby box will include one autograph or Relic card, while each 10-pack HTA jumbo box will include one autograph and two Relics inside when it arrives on June 6.

The second series will consist of 330 base cards, including 295 veterans, 30 rookies and five record-breaker cards from the 2011 season. New for the series will be a 25-card Cut Above set showcasing greats from MLB’s past.

As with Series 1, this edition will include five full parallels for each card — Black (/61), Platinum (1/1), Golden Moments, Wood (1/1) and printing plates — while 100 cards also will get the silk treatment.

Golden Relics will fall one per case and will include one of the following: Gold Futures Coin Cards (each limited to the player’s jersey number), Team Rings, World Series Champions Pin cards and Solid Gold Futures. The Futures cards are 1/1s made of real gold, while the others are metal embeds simulating coins, rings and, of course, pins.

Also back will be an assortment of 1987 Topps Minis and Golden Moments, while other inserts will include Mound Dominance (great pitching performances) and Career Day (great games for other players).

Autograph offerings will include Golden Moments Cut Sigs (1/1s), Golden Moments, Golden Moments Gold, A Cut Above, Mound Dominance, Gold Standard, Gold Futures and Career Day. All autographs will be limited to 15 or fewer copies except for the Golden Moments cards.

Other Relics in the product include, as in Series 1, an assortment of Golden Moments, Cut Above, Mound Dominance, Gold Standard, Gold Futures, Career Day, a Mickey Mantle 1968 Relic and Own the Name — a massive 500-card set made up of full game-worn jersey letters which will only be found in Hobby and HTA packs.

Additional images for the Golden Giveaway were released, including the first glimpses at the cards in the company’s online offerings. To be found are Golden Moments diecuts, Gold parallels, 1/1 Truly Golden versions and 1/1 gold-embedded versions of the base cards.

Finally, there’s an assortment of autographed Relic cards to be found — all limited to 10 or fewer copies and only found in Hobby and HTA packs. The Golden Moments, Cut Above, Mound Dominance, Gold Standard, Gold Futures and Career Day cards all will get the treatment. All are limited to 10 except for Career Day, which will be limited to five.

Love it or hate it: 2012 Topps Series 2

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.

1. Joe
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 02:50 PM | Permalink

Wow, that Lincicum is sweet, as long as it is a game-used patch and not one of those manufactured ones I am in. The design of the base set looks good as well.

2. steve-o
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 03:25 PM | Permalink

Where are the release images for Topps update set-2014 ??????? LOL

3. Richard
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 03:53 PM | Permalink

I’m sorry, but there really is no excuse for a Sandy Koufax Sticker auto at this point.
    The man is getting paid well and the scarcity/rarity is high enough to pay someone
    to go down at an arranged time and have him sign a batch.

Keep a small supply of stickers, if you must, to use on replacement cards, but otherwise,
    just stop it. Take the returned damaged on card autos and turn them into “cut” cards.

I understand Nolan Ryan might be a bit too busy, but I still think it would be worth the
    effort and I know many collectors prefer it.

4. clinton johnson
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 04:19 PM | Permalink

i love the kofax auto pulling one of those would make my collection complete.

5. Bobby
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 05:12 PM | Permalink

If Topps wanted to really impress, they would make the base set with the wood pattern. They look awesome, but no sense in wasting tons of money on 1/1’s that look like a base card. Can’t they do wood on all and make 1/1’s red wood or something. It kills the excitement of the 2012 release, when the title card of the article is an awesome wood grain pattern with a 1/1 stamp on it.

6. eman97
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 09:21 PM | Permalink

i would be really happy with this product as long i could pull that nasty lincecum patch. not a big fan of the base cards those

7. Ryan A.
    Posted Friday December 30th, 2011 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

I don’t know about others but I nearly always find myself short on Topps Series 2 cards year after year. I seem to tend to buy a decent amount of Series 1 and Bowman and by the time Series 2 comes out I am into completing other sets and such.

8. Shawn Campbell
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

I agree with Richard there is no excuse for sticker autos anymore we all hate them , and for the record having stickers in Bowman sterling is the final straw I will be spending my money with companies that offer ON CARD autos only, but also for the record I will bet series 2 will sell out especially if Harper makes the team out of spring training it will be the first chance at A ROOKIE auto. but for me my money will be spent on NASCAR cards at least until the big 3 get a finger on the pulse of the Hobby

9. cincy Scott
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 06:58 AM | Permalink

When is series 1 baseball going to ship?

10. Brian
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 07:47 AM | Permalink

Once again, amazing cards that none of us will ever pull.

11. Jerome J Wood SR
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

Nice of them to show us series 2 when series 1 is not even out yet!!!! The cards look great, and I can’t wait to see the mini 1987 cards…. But all in all ,I won’t be able to tell if I like this set until it’s in my hands and can see the cards in real life… Sometime’s as we all know picture’s look alot better than the card’s in person… But for me I will have to at least get 1 jumbo box to pass the time until Bowman etc. comes out!

12. chrisolds
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 02:55 PM | Permalink

Series 1 arrives on Feb. 1.

Series 2 is always announced before Series 1 arrives.

13. Steve
    Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 03:06 PM | Permalink

Is that a Pinnacle Mint coin on Pineda’s card?

14. Posted Saturday December 31st, 2011 at 08:43 PM | Permalink

I love ’em. Topps has been doing this for a long, long time. As long as they can evolve to meet the wants and demands of card collectors, they’ll be around for a lot longer as well.

15. Ryan L.
    Posted Sunday January 1st, 2012 at 07:55 PM | Permalink

Can’t wait to open my case and have to search every card for a little star on the players helmet making the card worth $5 more. Wish topps would get smart and help the collector out and put a little mark on the back of the card noting it is a variation. Maybe s small “v” near the number. Is that too much to ask? Or i.e. 320b. Just saying.

16. kevin
    Posted Monday January 2nd, 2012 at 08:53 PM | Permalink

can you stop putting old time players in the product …it’s lame a 2012 dodgers team set shouldn’t include koufax, reese, and duke snider….it’s stupid..just current players in these products..it’s ridiculous

there were more 2011 sandy koufax cards then his entire career when he actually played..

17. chrisolds
    Posted Tuesday January 3rd, 2012 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

Kevin: Have you asked yourself why Topps might include past players in sets?

Ryan L: The rarer gimmick cards certainly sold for more than $5 more when they first came out, didn’t they?

Steve: I hope not. Not a fan.

18. Jim
    Posted Tuesday January 3rd, 2012 at 12:46 PM | Permalink

Is Topps still doing the Pie Face variation cards. I’ve never actually held one in my hand, but it’s fun to hunt for.

19. Richard
    Posted Wednesday January 4th, 2012 at 08:35 PM | Permalink

I wish they would send out my ( 9 )Bowman Platium Autograph Baseball Cards from 2010 before shipping out New Product

20. George McFly
    Posted Wednesday January 4th, 2012 at 08:44 PM | Permalink

I like the inclusion of “Old Time Players” in sets. I would think that if a person is a true fan of any team, they would enjoy pulling cards of past players, especially those that are enshrined in the baseball hall of fame.

21. Kevin
    Posted Wednesday January 4th, 2012 at 09:10 PM | Permalink

I don’t like to be negative but does Topps really have an insert set called Gold Standard and cards with real gold inserted?

I am not sure if Panini should be flattered or mad.

22. chrisolds
    Posted Thursday January 5th, 2012 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

Kevin: The first Gold Standard set came in 1994 from Signature Rookies.

23. card opinionator
    Posted Thursday January 5th, 2012 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

I agree. No reason for stickers on retired guys. That is just sad.

24. jason aspinwall
    Posted Saturday October 13th, 2012 at 06:35 PM | Permalink

I recently got a 2012 topps updated series barack obama electoral sweepstakes card, and can not find where to enter the code on the back of the card? thanks for the help in advance…

4 Trackbacks

1. By 2012 topps series 2 - Blowout Cards Forums on Sunday January 1st, 2012 at 12:42 AM

[…] 2012 topps series 2 the design is kind if growing on me. the base cards would look 10 times better if they all had the wooden border . but those 1/1 's are probably going to sell realy realy well Beckett News First look: 2012 Topps Series 2 baseball cards […]

2. By First look: 2012 Topps Series 2 (updated) - Blowout Cards Forums on Wednesday January 4th, 2012 at 06:29 PM

[…] […]

3. By 2012 Products @ DocHoloday.com on Friday January 20th, 2012 at 12:21 PM

[…] But, as always, the inserts and parallels are completely over the top. There are different colors, foils, borders and the usual smattering of wood, printing plates and all the other things I’d never actually find. They’re also doing a “golden anniversary” which doesn’t make ANY sense since 2011 was their “60th” and the “Diamond Anniversary” and I’m pretty sure that “50th” is considered “golden”. So, either Topps is going backwards in time, or they just needed another BS excuse to do something with metallic ink and foil stamping. Check out the preview over at Beckett. […]

4. By 2012 Products @ DocHoloday.com | Baseball Card Guide on Friday January 20th, 2012 at 12:51 PM