First look: 2012 Score Football

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Contributing Editor

This year’s Score football card set could feel like a collector’s dream.

The 2012 Score set boasts 400 base cards – 300 veterans and 100 rookies – for one of the most expansive checklists in a football set this year.

But for many collectors the best part just might be the price at 99 cents a pack when it is scheduled to release in July.

Each hobby box will yield 36 packs. The breakdown of each hobby box looks like this: 24 Rookie Cards, 36 glossy parallels 34 additional inserts or parallels.

Some of the inserts include:
・ Complete Players
・ In the Zone
・ Numbers Game

For those wondering about hits, there aren’t many. That’s not the point of Score Football. Panini America has included printing plates, which are 1/1, for the 400-card base set. But autographs only fall at an average of four per 20-box case (Need a previous Score checklist or OPG? Click here).

Score has been around for a long time and is the type of set that appeals to set collectors and children. A fun product for a cheap price.

Susan Lulgjuraj is a contributing editor for Beckett Media. You can email Susan here. Follow her on Twitter here.

1. Anthony
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Is it just me, or is that Score logo extraordinarily large for the autograph cards?
    Panini’s design team sucks!

2. chrisolds
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Anthony: Really … really? It’s only the brand of the card …

3. Bobby
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

SCORE! Sounds like hockey to me. Not football. Quality does look better this year. But it’s Score. I have never ever bought any. And don’t plan to. Waiting for Triple Threads.

4. chrisolds
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Bobby: Score launched in 1988 for baseball, 1989 for football and 1990 for hockey. Just saying.

5. zotster
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I love Score. It’s about the only brand left that’s truly for collectors. I was really happy the line got extended into hockey, although I hate the inclusion if the super short prints in that sport. Score is a brand where the fun is in collecting the entire base set, and I hope that never changes.

6. Anthony
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Yes, Chris. Really. The Score logo almost takes up 1/4 of the card space. Half the card is text (only 6 short words) and a lot of empty space. The rest of the cards look OK, but that auto card is fugly. It’s just my opinion.

7. Travis
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

anyone know if they are still including “end zone, red zone, gold zone, etc? I read this twice and did not see it listed in the article. Or does that just mean inserts/variations/parallels? I love the end zones more than the autos!

8. Colesquat
    Posted June 6, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

the 2003 and 10 Score cards were my favorite, with the paint designs. they jsut look to plain now. Score is still my favorite card brand though. And Travis i hope they still do the end zone and gold zones etc. again

9. Colesquat