First look: 2012 National Treasures Football

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Panini America is gearing up for its top football product with National Treasures.

The popular release – scheduled to come out in March – will include all of the top rookies from 2012, and a good mix of autographs from veterans and retired stars – something football collectors haven’t seem much of this card season.

“Panini America officials will play on the strength of a spectacular rookie class in hopes of making 2012 National Treasures Football the most powerful edition in the brand’s proud seven-year history,” the company wrote on its blog.

It won’t be all about the rookies. NFL Greatest Signatures (retired players) and Virtuoso Signatures (current veterans) feature on-card autographs numbered to 50 or less.

Many football products this season have relied heavily on the 2012 rookie class, and National Treasures probably won’t be different. However, many collectors welcome the addition of more veterans and retired autographs.

Panini is using its Football Hall of Fame license in National Treasures, highlighting HOF athletes on special gold autographed patch cards.

Each wooden box of 2012 National Treasures Football will come with three autographs, three memorabilia cards and two base or parallels cards. The base set will consists of 200 cards (100 current stars, 100 legends), 100 Rookie Signatures and 35 Rookie Signature Materials.

There will be additional autographs and memorabilia cards in National Treasures.

What else?

We’ll just have to wait and find out. In the meantime, check out the preview gallery of NT below.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Football. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here.

1. reality
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

This design was played out about three years ago… gets a little worse with each iteration

2. rick
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I really like the way this product looks.

3. bobby chalermsopone
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Stop with fake letter patches already.

4. JC
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

That HOF Dan Fouts is hideous. It looks like it should have been in R&S. NT is usually my favorite product, but I think I might pass this year…

Tip: STOP with the manufactured patches!!

5. rick
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I do agree with fake letter patches being bad. I hated it from the start and topps need to quit that as well.

6. Posted December 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

the stafford letter is not manufactured

7. James Yellis
    Posted December 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I agree, I might pass on NT this year.

8. mr. Hisenberg
    Posted December 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Really? For $400-500, Id rather pay a group of people to kick and hit me…

9. leslie
    Posted December 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I thought it a shame that the Dan Fouts signature was partially obscured by his image in that first pic. Then, I realized that when you see the whole thing, it looks like “Dan Farts”….so I guess it’s a shame either way.

10. Jamie Case
    Posted December 15, 2012 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Boxes the last 2 years were at $375-$400 making a case about $1500-$1600 . This year Panini has became greedy seeing the spike in prices that happen with this product and how other products have been shooting up this year and are now adding $75 a box and making the cases $300 more sending this product close to $2000 before it even hits the stores . I would have been in for a 4 cases at $1600 each , but I will not touch it now !!

11. 2012 NT looks AWFUL
    Posted December 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

That is the worst LOOKING RPAs in NT I have ever seen…I threw up in
    my mouth when I saw them…please change design or the 5 cases I buy will
    be spent elsewhere…and PS fire whoever designed this awful lookin CRAP

12. Jamie Case
    Posted December 16, 2012 at 12:14 am | Permalink

2012NT , I hope you like paying more than the last two years by $300 a case . If you have seen dealer net the talk is Panini is getting real greedy. Just like their B&M stores have to sell at the price panini sets or they will be cut off from their products.

13. Albert
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

For it being the high end product that it is, I was expecting a lot more for the money that they are going to ask for a box or a case. Might pass this year.

14. Josh
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

If it’s anything like the sneek peeks, NOT WORTH IT.

15. Mike
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Is this going to be the most valuable Luck rookie this year?

16. G
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Feel like I am looking at the 2008 NT.