First look: 2012-13 Panini Preferred basketball

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

The sophomore season for Preferred will include something that many collectors prefer and that wasn’t around in its rookie year.

Rookie Cards.

Panini America unveiled the first looks at 2012-13 Panini Preferred on Friday and the biggest difference this season will be RCs as last year’s release didn’t include any first-time players.

Set to arrive in March, Preferred will include four cards per box with three autographs and one multi-player booklet card with as many as eight players. All autographs in the high-end product are limited to 99 or fewer copies and more than 250 players will be found as signers in the brand.

Among the cards to be found will be Panini’s Choice diecut cards, Crown Royale cards and the popular Silhouettes Signatures cards. The rookies will be found on all three types of cards with their autographs.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. Posted Saturday December 1st, 2012 at 01:59 AM | Permalink

I could do without some of the D-Leaguer rookies for this product.

2. Cincyscoyy76
    Posted Saturday December 1st, 2012 at 08:55 AM | Permalink

I like the KD die cut auto.

3. Posted Sunday December 2nd, 2012 at 07:40 AM | Permalink

will they be filled with tons of redemptions again? I bought a case last year & got 7 redemptions…

I do love the jumbo patch cards… don’t like the sticker autos….

4. Ed
    Posted Sunday December 2nd, 2012 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

With this amount ,” 250 players will be found as signers ” , I’m sure we will find 225 autos listed on Ebay for .99 cents.
    Preferred, I don’t think so……….Where’s my 2012-13 Topps Chrome or Finest?

5. Posted Monday December 3rd, 2012 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

the gamble of pulling a A-Star player is very slim…. buyers will drop $200 a box… only to get $30-50 worth of cards (ebay selling prices)….

I lost money on the case I bought last year.. I don’t buy for profit, but it does not feel good when you do not get something valuable out of a case… my top three cards were a Kobe USA patch/auto, Bill Russell crown royal auto, & David Robinson USA patch/auto…. The kobe sold for under $130, Russell, sold for $140, & David Robinson sold for $250…. didn’t pull anything I wanted to keep, except a Goodrich auto.. had trouble selling the rest of them…. the booklets were cool when they first came out, but nobody wants to pay top dollar for them anymore… I can’t sell them for under 40% BV..

6. dante
    Posted Monday December 17th, 2012 at 02:20 PM | Permalink

Agreed. I will never pay that much for such a huge auto list. Its crazy. The odds are soooo against you its not even funny. get 100 players to sign and i might think about buying a box. Those Booklets are hiddeous! too much going on and impossible to display nicely. Plus last year, the swatches didnt even match some of the players uniforms pictured. Dumb. $200 i want atleast one patch auto and three others. I wipe my butt with stupid jersey cards. Id rather have a low numbered insert than a plain swatch. Listen to me Panini!

7. slobbythegreat
    Posted Sunday March 31st, 2013 at 07:28 PM | Permalink

when the hell are ultra pro going to release pages for the booklets???