Box Busters: 2014 Topps Series 1 baseball cards

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds and Brian Fleischer as they rip into boxes of 2014 Topps Series 1 in this latest edition of Box Busters.

What will they find inside? Watch and find out …

1. Posted Wednesday February 5th, 2014 at 09:40 PM | Permalink

I really like what Topps did to the League Leaders cards this year. They are a more defined larger head and shoulders shot, as opposed to the far away pictures that they have used in previous years. They have a better feel to the League Leader cards of the 60’s and 70’s- even though action shots are still used.
    I wish more companies that print trading cards would return to the multi-player “League Leader” format.

2. Joe
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 09:01 AM | Permalink

26 minutes is a bit long :) … maybe open them off camera and hit the highlights with some discussion. I enjoy the videos though…

3. OraC
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

Chris & Brian, I really enjoy your box buster videos. Having collected baseball cards off an on for over 60 years, one of my greatest enjoyments was busting packs of cards. Of course, in my early days, the packs only included a single card plus some lip-smacking bubble gum (Yea!!). Gradually the card packs expanded to 5 cards and later to larger packs and jumbos. I’m retired now and am limited to just an occasional blaster box or jumbo pack of cards. That being said, your box buster videos make my day. So, KEEP ON RIPPING!!

4. Andrew Rupprecht
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 01:56 PM | Permalink

Are there Parallel Cards for the Short Print Cards.

Example – For #14 Yoenis Cespedes, Oakland Athletics would there actually be 39 different cards (13 of each variation)

5. chrisolds
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 03:32 PM | Permalink

Variations are not paralleled.

6. Jason K
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 03:50 PM | Permalink

The metal cards are sick! I would MUCH rather have something like that than a manufactured relic. I also like the clear cards. Any idea what the odds are on those (clear and metal) on Jumbo HTA boxes? That’s what I typically buy so that I get the guaranteed auto (and a complete set). I’m hoping to buy a box before the end of February.

I agree with Chris… The sparkles are a little much (too hard to find). Also, I think Topps kinda overdid it with the variations in general (with 75ish variations, that’s basically 1/4 of the set… Too much).

Lastly, Brian, ya gotta open two boxes. I would’ve said that even if you DIDN’T have a ridiculous box.

7. chrisolds
    Posted Thursday February 6th, 2014 at 04:12 PM | Permalink

Clear cards are not in jumbo boxes. No idea on metal cards — should be a lot easier there.

8. Brian Blankenburg
    Posted Sunday February 9th, 2014 at 12:01 AM | Permalink

I like when you open up 2 boxes. I don’t care if they’re 36 count boxes or 5 count boxes like Tribute. Another reason why I like opening 2 boxes is (especially this year) when you explain the short prints and the sparkle eligible cards. I hope I can see the tiny things when mine get here on Monday. THANKS FOR RIPPIN’!!!!

9. Brian Blankenburg
    Posted Sunday February 9th, 2014 at 12:17 AM | Permalink

After I wrote my first comment, I got to thinking about what you both said about the listing that’s going to be in the issue you’re working on now. I do the online pricing subscriptions, mainly because the pricing section is such small print, my 61 year old eyes have a problem with it. How about making some of these lists and SP info and the sparkle eligible info online. Since we online price guide users have paid, it would help us out big time. I’d even (if I had to) pay 50 cents or a dollar or two to have it. I’d rather have it included though. Anyway, just a thought. Thank you.

10. Jason K
    Posted Monday February 10th, 2014 at 01:38 PM | Permalink

They did it here in the news section when Topps 2014 had just come out. here’s a link :)

11. Phil
    Posted Thursday February 20th, 2014 at 07:27 PM | Permalink

Are there any wrapper redemption cards this year…and if so, what is the mailing address.