Beckett Grading Launches New Single Grade Service

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone

BGS Single Grade

Beckett Grading Services recognizes that different collectors have different reasons for wanting to get their sports cards and trading cards graded. As such, BGS has launched a new single grade service that doesn’t have final sub-grades. The new BGS single grade service doesn’t replace the standard sub-grades. Rather, it’s an alternative grading option that’s a little bit cheaper.

Here’s a letter from Jeromy Murray, Director of Beckett Grading Services, to explain the new BGS single-grade service:

Dear Beckett Grading Customer and Collectors,

Beckett Grading has always valued the product and services that we provide to our customers and the collecting world.  The appearance/security of our cases, our unique inner sleeve, our guaranteed turnaround times, and our sub grades are just a few of the things that keep us the top grading service in the industry. We are proud of these unique characteristics and the company that we have built using those as our foundation.

The market and its demand change though. In my 16 years with the company, I have seen booming years, tough hobby years, and years like 2016 which are unique, in a good way! The industry is in a good place right now and with that boom, comes more demand for card grading. After much discussion internally and with hobby collectors, dealers, and customers, Beckett Grading has decided to add a new service that we think we help the demand of graded Beckett cards.

Starting on July 11, 2016, Beckett Grading will be offering a single grade service for a BGS card — that means no sub grades. Before you revolt, yell at us, or refuse to use Beckett Grading anymore please read on. We are not getting rid of the sub grades! The sub grades are one of our foundations so if you love the sub grades, feel they are a necessity, or don’t want to change the look of your BGS card collection, then you will still be able to receive that service. The new service simply gives the customer an option to possibly save a little money on their grading fees while just get a single, overall grade for the cards they submit.

With the new single grade option, the cards will still be graded with the same high standards Beckett has always provided as the same graders will still look at each card you submit. You will still receive the most secure case in the industry, the same inner sleeve, the same foil label, and the same guaranteed turnaround times.  The cards will still be in our pop reports and you can still look up the unique serial numbers at www.beckett.com/grading.  The only change is that there would not be sub grades on the label.

Bottom line, this is simply a new service Beckett Grading is going to offer. Our plan with this move is to give each collector and submitter a product that meets their grading needs. The demand for this type service has been a long time in the making and with the current hobby conditions, now is the time to introduce it to the collecting world. To find out more about this service, or find out how you can submit your cards to Beckett (either with sub grades or without), please contact the sales team in your area.  I truly hope you enjoy the new product/services we are rolling out and if it is not for you, then I hope you continue to enjoy and trust the same service we have always provided. Thank you for taking time to read this and we look forward to helping you with your grading needs soon!

Sincerely,

Jeromy Murray
Director, Beckett Grading Services

1. Aaron Johnson
    Posted July 18, 2016 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

The hobby is already too confusing, because there are so many choices that aren’t truly necessary. Why compound it with offering 4 grading services under one name?

2. J.R.
    Posted July 20, 2016 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I think this is a HUGE mistake. BGS sets itself apart from PSA and SGC because of the subgrades! As you should be aware, many collectors (myself included) purchase a card because of its subs.

BGS has created a niche in the market, offering collectors an opportunity to buy “true” BGS 9.5’s and 10’s – cards with all subs at least 9.5 or 10 for their particular grade. This causes a bit of a shift in pricing, too. For example, look at all of the 1986 Fleer Basketball BGS 9.5 cards on eBay. How many of those cards have ALL 9.5 or better subs? Almost none. This is directly related to the subgrade phenomenon.

By having a single grade service, you are now throwing yourself in with PSA and SGC instead of choosing to separate yourself from those companies. Yes, the holder is better, yada yada yada, but it’s the subs that set you apart.

This is a very disappointing decision by BGS.

3. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted July 20, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink

The sub grade option still exists.

4. Posted July 21, 2016 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

This isn’t a way to increase the cost of the subgraded cards is it? Or are the prices staying the same on subgraded cards and the single graded cards costing just a little less? Either way, it seems like a losing proposition, because more cards will flood into Beckett to be graded, causing turnaround times to become much longer. But that’s just my opinion.

5. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted July 21, 2016 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Prices and service levels are not changing. The single-grade service is an additional service and it won’t be changing day-to-day operations. The single-grade service also needs to be arranged with the BGS team in advance. The default grading system is staying the same.

6. Dennis
    Posted July 21, 2016 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

What’s the price difference?

7. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted July 21, 2016 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

8. Kenneth Fay
    Posted July 21, 2016 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Love this idea! What do I care what the subs are as long as the card is gem mint. I’d buy a card without subs. The overall grade is the only grade that matters anyway.

9. Ilias
    Posted July 22, 2016 at 1:46 am | Permalink

I just want to know that material off the sleeve…

10. Chris Bumann
    Posted July 27, 2016 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I believe that it’s good as it allows BECKETT to be more competitive with PSA whom has a very large market share. This as well allows the consumer to stay with BECKETT vs PSA.
    The best is that you can still use the 4 point grading still however PSA doesn’t offer it.

11. Doug roper
    Posted August 1, 2016 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Will Beckett be at national card show in Atlantic city this week ? If so will they be grading cards ? Will Beckett have any specials if there ?

12. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted August 1, 2016 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Yes, there will be grading at the show. We’ll have a post up today with prices.

13. brian hollimon
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 5:31 am | Permalink

what is the price.

14. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted August 22, 2016 at 10:37 am | Permalink

The service is available to those who arrange it ahead of time with a sales rep before sending the cards in. Here’s a list of contacts: http://www.beckett.com/grading/team

15. Jared B Ledoux
    Posted August 20, 2016 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

I have a 2012 Topps Chrome Andrew Luck RC Gold Refractor /50. I have been collecting for several years now but i have never gotten a card graded. I am looking for info on getting my card graded and maybe a few more of my cards also. I would appreciate if somebody would contact me about any information on it, thanks

16. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted August 22, 2016 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Grading info and contacts can be found here: http://www.beckett.com/grading

17. Kenneth Sanders
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

How many cards can you send in at onttime

18. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted September 5, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

There is no limit. All Beckett Grading details and contact info for specific questions can be found at http://www.beckett.com/grading

19. RONNIE ROSICKI
    Posted September 27, 2016 at 7:03 am | Permalink

HOW DOES THIS EFFECT POP REPORTS? DOES THE 9.5 WITH NO SUBS FALL BEHIND THE 9.5 WITH SUBS? THANKS

20. Paul J Giragosian
    Posted December 4, 2016 at 4:37 am | Permalink

How much does it cost and how long will does the whole process take and where do you send the card to have it done.

Paul J. Giragosian

21. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted December 5, 2016 at 1:09 am | Permalink

All grading info can be found here: http://www.beckett.com/grading

If that doesn’t answer your questions, there’s a contact link on the page that will direct you to the nearest BGS salesperson in your area.

22. Greg Reese
    Posted December 27, 2016 at 1:40 am | Permalink

I have a 1987 Jeff Gordon World of outlaws card it was Grading by Beckett about10yrs ago Beckett Grading at 8.5.when I try to fine it on line but no luck of fineING it.I would like to no how much it’s worth there’s so many of them but I’m the only person has 8.5 the rest of them that I saw was 8,9,10. Thank you There’s nothing wrong with it I been collecting cards for Over 45 years it should be a 10 not a 8.5

23. Federico Ornes
    Posted April 9, 2017 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

One of the reasons I chose BECKETT GRADING is for the subgrades, BGS is better and different than psa and sgc is for that reason. Is too bad they are doing this one grade only.

24. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted April 10, 2017 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Subgrades are still the default. This is just another option.

25. Robert Hamilton
    Posted April 18, 2017 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Do you have local grading available and what is the cost to grade cards with sub grades ? Also, what type of training do your graders have. What are their qualifications etc. I have seen a Beckett graded card on ebay with 3 sub grades of 10 and one 9.5 and overall grade was 10 pristine.. Do you add all 4 subs and divide by 4 ? This is very important as I bought a McDavid RC with grades of 8.5, 8.5, 9, and 9.5 = 35.5 what would be the overall grade ?

26. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted April 19, 2017 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

You can check with local shops like Wests and Wayne’s if they do group submissions (pretty sure West’s do them).

Details on how grades are determined can be found here: https://www.beckett.com/grading/faq

27. joel
    Posted August 20, 2017 at 8:39 am | Permalink

what does it matter if u can see the subs or not its still the same grade the subs don’t matter to most collectors. stop the subs the grade is the grade i don’t care that the edges r 9.5 and the corners 10. ??????? the grade is the grade subs r just numbers in the equation. i don’t want to know the surface is 7.5 just tell me the total grade of the card and auto thanks. that is all.

28. Vic
    Posted August 28, 2017 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I’m small time. Just a few cards here and there. But, here is my issue, “The exact price for the single-grade service varies based on a few factors. Your closest BGS sales rep can provide the specifics.” I need to verbally make contact with the sales rep to find out the price to grade a single card? Ridiculous. Fix your grading system and post the prices online so I can take care of business. I just want to submit a card not send a bunch of emails go back and forth for days and contact people for something that should be so simple.

29. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted August 28, 2017 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

@Vic This article is about the Single Grade Service. It’s one of several options. Regular price lists can be found here: https://www.beckett.com/grading/compare-our-services

30. Joe Lenhart
    Posted August 31, 2017 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I recently became the owner of about 10,000 baseball cards . I know nothing about baseball. I know i have a ken griffey jr rookie and many other rookies. Who can look at these and tell me what cards are good and what they are worth i am sure there are many rookies.

31. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted September 4, 2017 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

@Joe – Your best bet to start is by taking what you have to a card shop or local show. Someone there should be able to let you know pretty quick if there’s anything of significant value.

If you need a price guide, subscriptions for the online guide can be found here: https://www.beckett.com/price-guides

32. Scott
    Posted September 5, 2017 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Nice service for those who don’t want to know the specifics just the overall grade. I personally don’t have any interest in this as the subs are of massive importance and, to me, what makes a card Gem or not is each individual component. My personal wish, advice, desire, whatever you want to call it, is that effort is put into the revamped registry. That is the single greatest area for improvement and how you will gain back a healthy portion of the 3rd party grading market. Add rookie registries, contests, fix whatever software or manual entry adds a newly graded cards serial number to the registry. I can’t tell you how many of my cards come up with “Invalid serial number” makes my sets look incomplete. Make the registry a priority and it will make a huge difference. Good luck with the new grading system.

33. Posted September 7, 2017 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I think Beckett has raised the bar. For a high caliber card of superstars, rookies that look like a possible prestine 10 or 9.5 sub grades are still available for premium price, show case. The next grade is still a subgrade just not put on back side of encasing and it can be a Prestine card. Really if you get a a 10 it should at least be offered to you to have sub’s added with a call or e-mail asking. And BCCG great for the thousands of cards some people don’t have the funds and are tight. Beckett rules and their longevity is proven.