A long-awaited Major League mailday

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he completes a collecting journey of sorts with a recent mailday for an item he has written about several times in the past.

What is it? What did it cost? Watch and find out …

1. Posted July 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Very cool video to watch, could tell that was emotional on some level for you. Glad you finally got it. And as you can tell, the presence of the set in your hands was too much .. the power went out.

2. Posted July 12, 2012 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Great Video Chris–the raw emotion is priceless, after all this is what collecting is all about–Appreciate the video, very well done!!!

3. Kurry Ferguson
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Pretty Sweet
    One of my cooks lives in West Allis Wi,
    guess I will let him come in late if he
    goes to some garage sales and finds me a set

4. Kollectornet
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

That is awesome. Congrats to you. They are way better than a Swisher 1/1 for you.

5. Bobby Currier
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Great find, glad you found them after all these years.

6. bill johnson
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

ive heard about those cards, but have never seen them first hand. major league was one of my all time fav sports movies. i know you say you over paid, but i think everyone here will agree, that the look on your face when you opened it was better then any box busters. i think it was well worth the wait and thanks for sharing. .

7. John
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

These cards are on my want list, but I was never sure they were really out there. THIS is why we collect, thanks for sharing Chris!!

8. Adam
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve got 2 sets of these (one sealed, one opened with a couple of the cards signed) and see them fairly frequently at rinky-dink shows here in Milwaukee where the movie was shot. Didn’t think they were that HTF.

9. Randall
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Congrats!!! If they are that hard to find, I don’t think you overpaid. Hey, there are some cards out there that I would probably overpay also if I knew I was getting it from someone reputable. Anyway, fun video as always.

10. chrisolds
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Adam: email me at colds@beckett.com.

11. Jim B.
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Awesome video! This is why we collect. I’m still looking for my holy grail…A Complete 1982 Wrestling All-Stars set.

12. michael runyon
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Chris this is a great story and a great set. Congratulations on getting it.

This is the reason I would love to see an article in BSM called white whales. Have some collectors list a few of their wants that they have never ever seen and see if some of the readers can help them caputre the whale.

3 of mine are

CHUCK BOWN WINNERS CHOICE AUTOGRAPH /500
    HARRY RANIER 97 AUTOGRAPH RACING AUTOGRAPH

and

David Pearson 2003 VIP EBAY PREVIEW

13. afff
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

congrats at getting that set, it was fun watch

14. Albert Legaspi
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

it is really nice to see how emotional it was getting this pack! A true collector of BB cards…such a refreshing video as I enjoy seeing how people cherish certain cards ….. Much than the usual folks I’ve seen all the time at shows that flip cards for profit.

15. Rob Braxton
    Posted July 14, 2012 at 7:33 am | Permalink

$200? For a set that rare, … that’s not that bad (at all).

It’s good when a set (or card) finds its home.

16. sumeet kalra
    Posted July 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

that was a really cool video. congrats on finding a rare set. that was one great movie.

17. Matthew
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

That was an awesome video. Didn’t even realize it was 12.5 minutes long. The excitement you had was amazing to watch.