Your Turn: Sabermetrics get showcase on short-printed 2014 Topps Series 2 baseball cards

SabermetricsBack

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Look closely at the backs of some of your 2014 Topps Series 2 baseball cards and you might not recognize the stats headers on some of the cards — or maybe even the stats themselves.

That’s because they are short-printed Sabermetrics variation cards.

While the full details about these cards continue to trickle in, we simply want to know what you think about this cardboard twist.

Tell us in the comments below.

Your Turn: Do you want Sabermetrics on your baseball cards?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Richard

They are fine, provided they have an insert to explain them.
Back in the 50′s they had cards explaining things like stats, positions, plays, etc.

Posted June 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
James

I think this is a brilliant idea. An even better idea would be 1/1 inscription cards where Mike Trout writes and explains the formula used to compute WRC+

Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:33 am | Permalink

I think putting the sabermetric stats on the backs of cards (at least this many) may be a bit too much. Many fans and collectors grew up with the simple formulas and statistics to the point that we learned how to do math equations from them.

Some of these stats (like the weighted On Base Average, Wins Above Replacement, Fielding Independent Pitching), while might be a better indicator of how good a player is, were too much for me to comprehend, and I don’t think kids would initially understand them. It was a shame that they took out strikeouts and complete games out of the batters and pitchers stat lines already to add the WAR stat.

Maybe the WAR can stay. But let’s not lose the basics.

Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink
Larry

That is a lame variation

Posted June 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink
Paul Angilly

Love these – wish they paralleled the whole set like this. Might even be a good idea to make a whole new line of cards based on these stats.

Posted June 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
Roger

Since I aint living with Winnie Cooper I dont want that stuff on my cards!

Posted June 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink
CHARLES HENN

IN MOST CASES THE BACK OF A CARD IS A CARD NUMBER
NOTHING ELSE

Posted June 15, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
Paul

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted June 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink
Matthew

I love the addition of WAR on all the base cards this year, and I like these variations as variations. I think it’s a fun variant and would enjoy seeing it again in the future, but for the regular base I say stick with the traditional stats plus WAR.

Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink