Note to our readers: We’re listening … pre-2001 pricing to return in issue No. 101

The 100th issue of Beckett Baseball marked the start of a three-month experiment in an effort to give more of you what you say you want.

You’ll see in the next issue, No. 101 coming later this month, that we’re continuing to adjust and evolve with what’s inside the covers of Beckett Baseball. You’ll see new brighter and whiter paper to help make our colors and photos more lively and energetic — and also help make those small price guide fonts more readable.

That’s our newest change, and it’s one we hope you’ll like in addition to more space for more photos, more stories and even more color pages.

Last month’s reduction in the price guide has been adjusted back to where it was in previous issues. While issue No. 100 started with pricing for cards from 2001-forward only, you’ll see another change in the next issue.

All the years we took out is coming back.

Repeat, they’re coming back.

Why? We listened to your complaints — and many of you who took the time to comment to us noted that vintage cards were one era you missed the most. While many of those beloved sets don’t change much at all in guide month after month during the year — if at all — we’ve returned them because many of you collect with a focus on that time.

Some people cited wanting a complete listing. It’s back, though having a complete listing in the magazine every month is an impossibility — and it never was complete before our changes last month.

However, there are two options for collectors who want that. One option is Beckett.com where everything in the entire Beckett database is available every single day — all of it — with prices that also can fluctuate daily.

The other option is our annual Baseball Almanac — a yearly investment that can give even the veteran collector plenty of options to explore and that has as complete of a printed listing as possible. Some of you will like our changes, some of you won’t — that’s the nature of trying to please everyone. (It’s not possible.) But what we do want to have is enough options to satisfy as many people as we can.

Our goal is that we can please as many of you as possible while keeping in mind the reality that an infinite number of pages at a readable size is not a monthly possibility as more and more brands arrive every month. (We have to live in the real world.)

Our other part of this plan is to improve the other things that make readers want to pick up the magazine — there are more stories, more photos and more color pages. The intent there is to get more people to want the magazine — you know, like in the good ol’ days.

Collectors like Matt Duckworth noticed.

“I just received my new Beckett Baseball in the mail and I loved it.” he wrote in an email. “Definitely more like the Beckett Baseball I knew and loved growing up. Please keep the new format and keep up the good work!”

We’ll continue to adjust — and we hope that you’ll continue to discuss it all along with us.

Chris Olds | Editor, Beckett Baseball

Email | colds@beckett.com

Twitter | @chrisolds2009

Chuck

How about bringing back Readers Write? I also remeber there used to be a bigger list of the top hot cards each month. Like the top 50 and i think there was a cold list. I would like to see that return to all the Beckett magazines. Seems like the price went up and the quality went down.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Would love to see the vintage prices more accurately reflect today’s market. Many cards are way overpriced while a few (1966 and 1967 high numbers especially) are way underpriced.

Craig from Texas

Posted June 3, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Chuck: Readers Write vanished because of too few submissions of substance. I tend to answer questions daily here as well. Take a look at what’s inside issue No. 100 (the cover above). I hope it will surprise you.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
whattheheck

I would like to see higher end cards priced out. Like patches, printing plates, and rarer cards serial # to /10 or less. 1/1 card pricing. I find it boring to look at pricing on lower end cards, while it is necessary, I think it is also necessary to price high end cards and cards that are ” to rare for pricing ” not to be mentioned. These cards should be mentioned and I find the majority of the time, they dont even have a bracket or a description for them and no price base point. example 2014 Bowman Chrome Printing Plate Autographs 1/1 15x Base auto.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink
Al Nagel

I’m looking forward to the Beckett Coin Magazine. Listing coins going all the way back to 1985. Really? Why bother getting a magazine when it covers less than 1/10th of a product line.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
Donald Stevenson

Hope you guys are updating the pricing on those pre-2001 cards!! As a once long time reader of Beckett I stopped throwing money away after seeing how out of date 95% of the prices were.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink
Bob Grant

Didn’t the 100th issue have nolan ryan on the cover with a birthday cake, early 1990s?

Posted June 4, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink
Nick

I think the unlisted star/semistar list needed some work, especially since that’s where the majority of collected players fall. It has a much higher concentration of current players, which is entirely understandable. But for the same group of people complaining about removing pre-2001 pricing, this could be an incomplete list.

My main issue with it is that it’s very hard to keep track of players moving up/down and on/off the list. A number of years ago, these lists used to have arrows which made it much easier.

Posted June 4, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink
Olds

whattheheck: The price ranges are based on actual sales — there’s not enough of those to print a reliable range for lower-volume cards.

Bob: That numbering went with Beckett Sports Card Monthly when it arrived because at the time of the switch it was the only monthly. This numbering continues where Beckett Plus was at that time.

Posted June 4, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink
whattheheck

I still think they should be mentioned. I got a whole shoebox box full of cards that are not even mentioned as part of the product. I also think printing plates should have a base point of X 10 base card or x 15 base card. Whatever Beckett determines it to be. You dont even mention that these products exist in the sets that are being produced.
I am just expressing as a reader since 1988, with boxes and boxes full beckett magazines, that is what I would like to see. A mentioning of all products made in the sets and if possible stick a price point on them. ( x10 x 20 base ) Part of the reason I did not renew this year.

Posted June 4, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink
Mike

Bonds, McGwire, Clemens should NOT be listed individually. They should be lumped into the unlisted stars section as no one pays for their basic inserts and cards. Rare stuff and autos? Sure.

Posted June 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
Dave71120

Perhaps instead of listing the pre-2001 cards in every single issue, you could spin those off into a quarterly baseball publication? To me, that would seem to be a practical alternative to publishing the pre-2001 cards in either the annual Almanac or monthly price guide.

And while I obviously don’t know the specifics what is and would be involved in such an effort, I’m guessing you could probably charge a lower per-issue price for both the pre-2001 and 2001-and-later price guides and increase sales at the same time.

And while I’m thinking about this stuff… :-)

– I’ve also thought that having a combo subscription with the digital edition and the OPG would be nice. I’d be willing to pay $50 or $60 for a 1-year digital edition/OPG combo (for hockey, personally).
– It would also be nice to have some kind of a-la-carte pricing for the OPG’s. I primarily collect hockey cards, but also collect football cards to a lesser degree, so being able to put together my own OPG combo’s would be a plus in my book.
– In all honesty, the OPG’s are over-priced, IMHO. Cut prices in half from where they are now and you’d probably see a lot more people subscribing, myself included. I’m probably not alone in saying I can’t afford to shell out $80/yr for access to one OPG, let alone trying to justify the price for the Total Access package.
– I’m also one of those who wouldn’t mind seeing pricing published in the monthly print magazines for those cards numbered to 25 and less.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Posted June 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink
Joe

Mike I have to disagree. I have been shocked but I do have people buy those guys. Base sells like most base but once you get into inserts I have noticed a pickup with younger ( Age Early 30 & below) that do buy those guys. When I have asked why with the steroids a lot of them sadly just dont care. I wouldnt pay a dime for those guys but the still sell. Also I think the list of unlisted needs work as there are guys that sell like Maris Berra & Rickey that should not be lumped in with Yadi Molina & Bubba Starling LOL

Posted June 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
steve

Suggestion how about inculding a column say 1980-1990 base card sets of topps donruss etc in addition to regular listings so you can check prices quiclkly for those items also wax box prices would be a good addtion.

Posted June 4, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink
gosports1

Thanks everyone at Beckett for Listening. I have a Flea Market spot indoor for over 10 years and probably 90 % of the people started collecting in the 1990′s. The still like Griffey and Ripkens-Montana-Rice- Farve-Just old school. I still sell all those pack for 50 cent and Did I mention they like to get a Michael Jordan out of those 1990 Fleer and Upperdeck packs. I bought 3 Cases of UpperDeck Basketball in 2009-2010 so that they can still get a Kobe-Jordan- plus a few good Rookies

Posted June 9, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink