Latest Topps wall art offering celebrates baseball heroes

trout_myhero_5x7

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Who’s your baseball hero? He might be among the players in Topps‘ latest vintage-style wall art offering.

The “My Hero Collection” is one of the largest offerings yet with 50 players from the past and present represented on a design reminiscent of the 1967 Topps test issue.

This time around, though, they are 11-by-17 prints printed on 18-point chipboard that are serial-numbered to 99 copies and cost $49.99 apiece on Topps.com.

jeter_myhero_5x7

In addition to the standard prints, a complete set of 5×7 pieces packed in a wax pack can be purchased for $199.99.

Check out a selection — but not all — of the prints below.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Phil

Hopefully kids have some real heroes in their lives to look up to besides athletes.

Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

“Ty Cobb Is My Hero”? Really, Topps, really?

And outside Brooks Robinson and Lou Gehrig, how many of these other guys are sick deviants? More than a couple, I’ll bet.

Look, I love baseball, but if history has taught us anything, gaze elsewhere for ”heroes,” kiddies.

And stop the cash grab, Topps. Concentrate on making better cards. That should give you plenty to work on there.

Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink
phillies_joe

Nice looking stuff. I picked up a 1975 Schmidt 11 x 17 reprint and love it. These will make cool birthday / Christmas presents.

Also you people need to relax……I have a baseball hero, Mr Ruth, and I always dreamed when I was little of being able to perform like him ON THE FIELD. (Dean…are you serious? only 2 from that group).

Posted June 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink
deez

I FIND IT DISGUSTING THAT TOPPS SENT OUT EMAILS ADVERTISING A DON ZIMMER VERSION BECAUSE HE JUST PASSED AWAY

Posted June 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
jarod

Phillies Joe,

You have to admit the Cobb is pretty bad. Wait until they release the football set which will have O.J. and Rae Carruth.

Posted June 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink
FQ

Josh Reddick, Josh Donaldson AND Yoenis Cespedes! Really? Three A’s are what the market demands? Maybe trade out Riddick for Paul Goldschmidt?

Posted June 8, 2014 at 3:03 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Deez: Now’s the time, perhaps moreso than ever, where people may want something for Don Zimmer.

FQ: What’s seen above is not every single player — there are more.

Posted June 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink
card opinionator

I’d rather is say “All-Star” or “Superstar” than My Hero. I’m a grown man. I don’t put stuff on my wall saying “MY HERO”.

Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink
phillies_joe

Jarod, yes…I agree.

Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Looks like Topps pulled the My Hero Collection off its cyber shelves.

Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink
chrisolds

They are all limited-time offerings — some as short as one week.

Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Silly me. Just when I thought Topps had a conscience …

Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink